IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Search Engine Optimization : SEO

Search Engine Optimization : SEO SEO techniques & discussion for IDN Domains.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 04:18 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1237
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

I developed a Greek site on the unaccented domain.

The accented domain is currently parked. How should I redirect it to the site without incurring an SEO penalty?
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 04:22 PM
phio's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arctic Circle
Posts: 1,541
iTrader: (31)
Rep Power: 661
phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper View Post
I developed a Greek site on the unaccented domain.

The accented domain is currently parked. How should I redirect it to the site without incurring an SEO penalty?
You could take the accented domain and create a Noomle site. Use the G metatag and submit your sitemap. This will show G it is being developed.

I have never done this but G likes Noomle sites.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 04:26 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1237
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
You could take the accented domain and create a Noomle site. Use the G metatag and submit your sitemap. This will show G it is being developed.

I have never done this but G likes Noomle sites.
Thanks phio. That's one way, but I want to give the impression that the accented domain and unaccented domain really are the same thing and end up at the same site.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-ad...302-redirects/

I think a 302 is alright, but I'm not sure
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:10 PM
yanni's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,220
iTrader: (34)
Rep Power: 1140
yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

I believe 302 as well, but maybe wait for the seo gurus here.

OTOH I've been 301 redirecting many domains to certain sites and I don't see any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:15 PM
alexd's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (21)
Rep Power: 2013
alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper View Post
I think a 302 is alright, but I'm not sure

The 302 sounds about right. For one of my sites ( which I recently changed from .html to .php files ) I used a 301 redirect ( a permanent redirect, as the html files no longer exist ). The 302 is a temporary redirect. I am not 100% sure about any SEO penalties regarding using a 302 instead of a 301.

However, if you plan to keep both domains, then I think a 301 would be fine to use. All you would need to do is to create a .htaccess file and upload it to the root folder of the domain.

Alex
__________________
"Is it my imagination, or do really good-looking women walk a lot faster than everybody else?"
Words of wisdom from George Costanza

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:19 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1237
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
I believe 302 as well, but maybe wait for the seo gurus here.

OTOH I've been 301 redirecting many domains to certain sites and I don't see any problems.
Cool, thanks yanni. I'll try a 302 unless otherwise advised
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd
The 302 sounds about right. For one of my sites ( which I recently changed from .html to .php files ) I used a 301 redirect ( a permanent redirect, as the html files no longer exist ). The 302 is a temporary redirect. I am not 100% sure about any SEO penalties regarding using a 302 instead of a 301.

However, if you plan to keep both domains, then I think a 301 would be fine to use. All you would need to do is to create a .htaccess file and upload it to the root folder of the domain.
302 it is then, ty.

Do I have to do it using htaccess? Can I do it from a registrar?

BTW, Greek translators have been THE most expensive to hire... this is gonna be my last project in this language, until PPC gets over the 0.01 hump!
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:24 PM
yanni's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,220
iTrader: (34)
Rep Power: 1140
yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper View Post

BTW, Greek translators have been THE most expensive to hire... this is gonna be my last project in this language, until PPC gets over the 0.01 hump!
And why the frick did you pay for translation?
Next time talk to me.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:35 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1237
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
And why the frick did you pay for translation?
Next time talk to me.
I was going to, but it was a few thousand words! I will next time. Thanks.

I'm fast becoming elance's best customer lol.

Now that I have a couple of Greek idners' attention, here it is: ωροσκοπιο.com

What do ya think?
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days

Last edited by gammascalper; 4th August 2009 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:43 PM
phio's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arctic Circle
Posts: 1,541
iTrader: (31)
Rep Power: 661
phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

If anyone knows of a horoscope feed in greek let me know, been looking for one, and that would be great for horoscope sites.

Gamma, where are the ads?
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:44 PM
alexd's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (21)
Rep Power: 2013
alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Looks fine to me - though Yanni will need to let you know 100% how the translations come out.

For the site itself, are you going to change the content at all, such as display daily/weekly horoscopes ??

I am taking a guess that the site itself is not the finished version but one you are working on ?? If you need, I can have a look through my files and send some relevant templates your way if you are interested. ( not sure if I have any specific for horoscopes, but I will see what I can find ).

Also, keep me in mind for translations as well if you need. We work on websites all day long, everyday, and my wife provides me with the Greek translations of all the pages we make on our sites, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem for us to help you out with some future translations ( or even one-off words for headings, title tags, etc )

Alex
__________________
"Is it my imagination, or do really good-looking women walk a lot faster than everybody else?"
Words of wisdom from George Costanza

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:46 PM
alexd's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (21)
Rep Power: 2013
alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
If anyone knows of a horoscope feed in greek let me know, been looking for one, and that would be great for horoscope sites.

Gamma, where are the ads?
Is this any good ??

http://horoscope.i-live.gr/feed/rss/
__________________
"Is it my imagination, or do really good-looking women walk a lot faster than everybody else?"
Words of wisdom from George Costanza

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:55 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1237
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
If anyone knows of a horoscope feed in greek let me know, been looking for one, and that would be great for horoscope sites.

Gamma, where are the ads?
No ads... yet. I want to see it ranking well first.

I see oroskopio sites with native Greek banner ads which look quite nice, but I don't know if they're affiliates or not.

The feed Alex gave below looks good. I ended up doing a 3000 word translation, with the idea that if this thing works out, I'll create more custom content.
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 05:58 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1237
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
I am taking a guess that the site itself is not the finished version but one you are working on ?? If you need, I can have a look through my files and send some relevant templates your way if you are interested. ( not sure if I have any specific for horoscopes, but I will see what I can find ).

Also, keep me in mind for translations as well if you need. We work on websites all day long, everyday, and my wife provides me with the Greek translations of all the pages we make on our sites, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem for us to help you out with some future translations ( or even one-off words for headings, title tags, etc )

Alex
Erm, it kind of is the finished version. I'm a minimalist

But I'll gladly look at any relevant templates you find. Very kind of ya.

Ah -- vertically integrated at home. How convenient! Cool, thanks. I will ping you guys before sending out for more translations.
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 06:02 PM
alexd's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (21)
Rep Power: 2013
alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper View Post
Erm, it kind of is the finished version. I'm a minimalist

But I'll gladly look at any relevant templates you find. Very kind of ya.

Ah -- vertically integrated at home. How convenient! Cool, thanks. I will ping you guys before sending out for more translations.
Just a quick suggestion - put a link back to the main page from the various horoscope pages. Interlinking between the pages should help you a little more with regards to SEO. ( At the moment, if Google arrive on your horoscope page for Taurus, there are no internal/external links to follow. )

Tommorow when I am back at the office, I will knock up a small banner/text link for your site and place it on a couple of my Greek IDNs, just to start building the backlinks towards your site.

Alex
__________________
"Is it my imagination, or do really good-looking women walk a lot faster than everybody else?"
Words of wisdom from George Costanza

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 06:13 PM
yanni's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,220
iTrader: (34)
Rep Power: 1140
yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
Looks fine to me - though Yanni will need to let you know 100% how the translations come out.

Alex
From the few I checked, it seems they did a very good job with translating.
Is this static content?
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 06:14 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1237
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
Just a quick suggestion - put a link back to the main page from the various horoscope pages. Interlinking between the pages should help you a little more with regards to SEO. ( At the moment, if Google arrive on your horoscope page for Taurus, there are no internal/external links to follow. )

Tommorow when I am back at the office, I will knock up a small banner/text link for your site and place it on a couple of my Greek IDNs, just to start building the backlinks towards your site.

Alex
Link back to home done

Cool, let me know how I can link back to you.
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 06:17 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1237
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
From the few I checked, it seems they did a very good job with translating.
Is this static content?
Phew. Good to hear. No it is not static. It's in a db and randomly pulled up with a cookie set for a day so that users usually don't see the same content on a page refresh.
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 06:22 PM
yanni's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,220
iTrader: (34)
Rep Power: 1140
yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Nice.

I've been sitting on this for sometime now [over a year]. Too busy to finish it.

I'll hook you up with a link as well.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 06:35 PM
phio's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arctic Circle
Posts: 1,541
iTrader: (31)
Rep Power: 661
phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

I'll also link my ζωδια . net once it's done. I'm setting it up as a noomle site and getting it off of PR. If Noomle ever ads the greek language we're in. And thanks for the RSS feed ALEX! At some point I would like to develop it further. I'll need some translation help also, I did meet a Greek woman from Crete who said she may help out also. Hope so.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2009, 07:11 PM
yanni's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,220
iTrader: (34)
Rep Power: 1140
yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: How should I redirect accented/unaccented Greek domain?

Phio, if you need help translating, pm me with the words/text.

Gamma your link was added.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy idns
domain name lawyer
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54