IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:36 PM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Traffic tumbling

Have a number of Chinese IDN mini sites that were in some cases getting 100+ hits per day and making a fair few $'s via adsense. The last couple of weeks have seen the traffic all but disappear and of course the income.

The same thing is happening with my "full blown" site 搞笑.cn, most of the traffic for all the sites came from page positions on Baidu, some of which were page one and have now disappeared up their own orifices.

Anybody have similar experience or ideas why this has happened?
Old 22nd August 2009, 02:07 PM

Fka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished road
Re: Traffic tumbling

I'm in the same boat, but I only had a handful of developed sites.
Old 22nd August 2009, 02:18 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Ah, the persistent beauty of minisites ...... I think I have mentioned their transient nature before ;-)
Old 22nd August 2009, 07:20 PM

Fka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished roadFka200 is on a distinguished road

Meh, I'm seeing a fall in traffic to parked pages as well. :-P.
Old 22nd August 2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Check your log files to see where the referrals WERE coming from.

Maybe China's root-splitting DNS is having more of an effect now?
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:43 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Ah, the persistent beauty of minisites ...... I think I have mentioned their transient nature before ;-)

But 搞笑.cn is not a minisite and the same seems to be happening.
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Check your log files to see where the referrals WERE coming from.

Maybe China's root-splitting DNS is having more of an effect now?
Most were from page ranking on Baidu. The decline is from beginning of August, my full site is down by 70% traffic and worsening daily- 75% Bidu referrals.

Baidu stopped indexing IDN perhaps?
Old 23rd August 2009, 07:25 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
Most were from page ranking on Baidu. The decline is from beginning of August, my full site is down by 70% traffic and worsening daily- 75% Bidu referrals.

Baidu stopped indexing IDN perhaps?

from my experience, baidu's a harder nut to crack than google. they are very good at sniffling out parking pages and minisites.

it is not easy to earn yuan. there is too much competition and the currency is small.

Last edited by touchring; 23rd August 2009 at 07:36 AM..
Old 23rd August 2009, 08:55 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring View Post
from my experience, baidu's a harder nut to crack than google. they are very good at sniffling out parking pages and minisites.

it is not easy to earn yuan. there is too much competition and the currency is small.

Build mini-sites optimized for the very long tail in lucrative niches, in the euro markets. Play at the end of the tail, you know where the results are counted in the hundreds or only a couple thousand... You can sit at the top with no effort.

I've got two of these one pagers in finnish, one up for 2 years and the other for 1 year. The first one earns about 2000 EUR per year and the second one about 800 EUR. The first one, which is a very long two-word combo domain that nobody would ever just intuitively type-in, but a highly searched term, has become somewhat famous in finland: after about a year in operation, it started receiving lots of type-ins (people tell others about it, word of mouth).