IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2009, 01:46 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
New gTLDs are still Months away, but the Lawsuits have already begun.

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/low...s/20090902.htm

FROM DN JOURNAL
I fully expect that ICANN's plan to roll out unlimited new gTLDs starting early next year will create chaos, with consternation among confused consumers, anger among trademark holders who will have to spend more to protect their marks in new extensions, and turf battles between warring parties competing to operate the higher profile new gTLD registries. What I haven't been expecting is to see chaos start breaking out now - many months before the world will actually see a new gTLD in operation. The lawsuits have already started flying. Word today came that one of the premier companies planning to compete in the new gTLD space, Minds + Machines, has filed suit against their partner in the quest to obtain .food - famous chef Wolfgang Puck and his wife Gelila.

In a statement posted on the Minds + Machines website, CEO Antony Van Couvering gave an account of what led his company to go on the offensive, writing "On Thursday last week, Minds + Machines received a letter from Daniel Petrocelli of O’Melveny and Myers, the trial lawyer who represented Jeffrey Skilling of Enron. On behalf of Gelila and Wolfgang Puck, Mr. Petrocelli claimed that the Pucks have the right to co-invest in most of our business endeavors, and that their introductions to some celebrity acquaintances entitle them to 50% of some of Minds + Machines’ business endeavors. Yesterday, in Federal Court, we filed suit against Gelila and Wolfgang Puck, asking the court to declare that their claims are frivolous, and that they do not have a right to participate in our non-.FOOD projects. Apparently Gelila Puck is convinced the new gTLDs are going to produce a vast fortune and she wants a bigger share of the pie. An article at Gawker.com about the lawsuit noted that the suit says she has been telling people she will be "the next Bill Gates." All I can say is that if this is true, the poor woman is in for a horribly rude awakening. She might want to look into how many new billionaires were created by the first round of new gTLDs (.biz and .info). Hint: You can count them on less than one finger.

Lady Puck isn't the only one suffering from illusions of new gTLD grandeur. As Andrew Allemann noted at Domain Name Wire just yesterday, the .Sport Policy Advisory Council (who wants to see a .sport TLD) sent ICANN a threatening letter warning against giving anyone else an extension related to any sport! This even though no one, including them, has been awarded any extension yet. Even so, these people had the audacity to tell ICANN the following (my comments are in red) "we emphatically oppose any diminution of .SPORT (how can something that doesn't even exist be diluted?!) and will take all steps necessary to ensure that the top-level domain for our sector is properly protected. (sounds like a lawsuit threat even though these people don't own an extension to begin with!) We are concerned that ICANN may be prematurely entertaining a process that will allow proliferation of names in sub-categories or individual sports which will lead to confusion in the marketplace of users (in other words, no one else can own .football, .baseball. etc. because these clowns think they have some pre-ordained right to own everything). We cannot accept ICANN approving any applications for top-level domains that could diminish the solidarity implied with .SPORT" (Huh!? Wait a minute...you can't accept ICANN approving any applications....! Fellas - your application hasn't been accepted either! You might want to wait until that little hurdle is crossed before you issue further orders telling ICANN what they can and cannot do).

This is amazingly misguided stuff. I have felt from the beginning that ICANN was opening a can of worms with this whole unlimited new gTLD process, but I don't think they have any idea of what is in store for them. This is Pandora's Box on steroids. One very prominent domain developer told me he thinks the new gTLD program will create such a mess that it will lead to the end of ICANN. I scoffed when he first told me that, but with the lawsuits and recriminations already flying at this extremely early stage of the game, I am no longer so so skeptical on that point. It looks like a fiasco is brewing that could create some hurricane force blowback. If that happens, I wouldn't want to be the entity that loosed this Frankenstein's monster on the Internet. END ARTICLE
Old 4th September 2009, 02:01 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: New gTLDs are still Months away, but the Lawsuits have already begun.

Check out the allegations in this messy domain/business deal gone awry lawsuit for .food

http://domainnamewire.com/wp-content/puck.pdf
Old 4th September 2009, 04:58 AM

abe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished road

Sadly enough if this goes through the domain business is pretty much over(??)
Endless amount of extensions and even more so endless amount of domains.
Way more supply than demand and when that happens as we all know - prices fall.
Oh well... If anyone there has a different opinion, please do tell..:
Old 4th September 2009, 05:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Nonsense, there was already the potential for an almost infinite number of domains. All this means is the potentially the quality of domains being registered might improve in the eyes of some. But already we have numerous extension that have gained no traction, and it is likely that vast majority of new extension will also gain little traction.

It is also quite clear that .sport will go to those with the deepest pockets, as it will be auctioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Old 4th September 2009, 06:47 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
All it tells me is that people "investing" in stupid domains like .cc and .ws and .blah .blah .blah have been totally wasting their time and cash.

And never forget, good domaining has always been about quality never quantity. As RD points out, virtually endless numbers of domains have been with us for quite a while, especially since the length of .com domains was increased to 26 chars.

No matter how many more hi-rises you build round the world, the ones overlooking Central Park NY will always be worth stacks of money. Same applies to quality .coms
Old 4th September 2009, 06:53 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Agree. Even .com typos rock: http://www.thedomains.com/2009/09/01...es-on-my-list/
Old 4th September 2009, 07:44 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:

I guess you haven't studied your Eminem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHPuRqJavo&feature=fvst

Quote:
'Cause I'm Slim Shady, yes I'm the real Shady
All you other Slim Shadys are just imitating
So won't the real Slim Shady please stand up,
please stand up, please stand up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yanh9W5gy58

Quote:
Here's a concept that works
Twenty million other white rappers emerge
But no matter how many fish in the sea
It'll be so empty, without me

Old 4th September 2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

word.
Old 4th September 2009, 09:30 PM

sbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished road

I know Antony and Jothan at M+M....

( the eminem micro-thread being the shizzle....)

They are very stand up guys from my interactions with them.

Very pro IDN as well, since they know that the German dot koln GTLD effort for Cologne will reflect on the dot NYC effort etc.......

re: the Pucks....
the wife's mania of becoming the next 'Bill Gates' is the smoking gun...

As Bugs Bunny would say....

"what a maroon.......

' I like the idea of dot wine, so I own half......'

very new take on IP law....(grin)

lawyers fighting before the auctions is classic.....

when the Bar associations start fighting for dot lawyer.....dot law

dot no-fault-divorce.....

dot Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe........

just more fun UDRP's to read....
Old 4th September 2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>Very pro IDN as well

Jothan's got a few IDN's of his own. I remind him he's a moonie whenever I get the chance.
Old 5th September 2009, 01:11 PM

According to the New York Times, Mr. Puck’s lawyer, Daniel Petrocelli, responded to the lawsuit filed by Minds+Machines against Mr. Puck and his wife by stating:

“”"The Pucks remain strongly committed to the .food domain name and are excited about I.C.A.A.N.’s work. When the Pucks asserted their rights in the business they helped create, Minds + Machines and Top Level Domain Holdings filed a frivolous lawsuit thousands of miles from where the parties did their business. The allegations against the Pucks are false, irresponsible, and legally baseless. The complaint was filed to generate false publicity and seek an unfair negotiating advantage. We intend to prosecute Minds & Machines and Top Level Domain Holdings to fullest extent of the law.”"

Its going to get ugly.

http://news.domainlabs.eu/
Old 5th September 2009, 02:54 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

And the Lawyers and the Judiciary will end up piss themselves.

Neither parties have established any meaningful claim in law nor will they be able to.

It is as ludicrous as me laying claim to the White House Rose Garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post

Its going to get ugly.

Old 5th September 2009, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Get the popcorn out.
Old 5th September 2009, 08:52 PM

Aren't these "new" gtld's going out for bid or some organized way to auction them or allocate them?
And does Minds & Machines and/or the Pucks already have the 100% rights to .food?
I did not think the gtld process was that far along into the chaos. :p
Old 5th September 2009, 08:56 PM
Veteran

I am sorry to have to break this to you but a substantial proportion of your compatriots are total wankers. You need proof?

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/09/05...rnia.wildfire/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Aren't these "new" gtld's going out for bid or some organized way to auction them or allocate them?
And does Mind&Machines/Puck already have the 100% rights to .food or is that still up for grabs?