IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   IDN Sales Report (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/idn-sales-report/)
-   -   Ꮋ.com (xn--x9d.com ) for US $405.00 (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/23237-%E1%8E%BB-com-xn-x9d-com-for-us-%24405-00-a.html)

tonecas 6th September 2009 11:26 AM

Ꮋ.com (xn--x9d.com ) for US $405.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...OIBUAA:US:1123

nice flip José!

is that symbol even on a kewboard? ;)

regards,
tonecas

touchring 6th September 2009 12:10 PM

Re: Ꮋ.com (xn--x9d.com ) for US $405.00

what character is that? it appears as a ? mark on my pc.

Domainace 6th September 2009 12:18 PM

It's an H. The buyer has zero feedback. In my experience on Ebay, that means a less than 50% chance of the deal going through. I'd be curious to see if it does.

tonecas 6th September 2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring (Bericht 140208)
what character is that? it appears as a ? mark on my pc.

that is because is not a supported symbol yet (and maybe it will never will. don't know) in a, let's say, graphical way.

the best way to discover is to do a reverse transformation of the punnycode and get the Unicode code points.

by that, we get: u+13BB

then go the Unicode symbol chart by doing a query "Look up by character code" at the top of the page at http://www.unicode.org/charts/

that will get you the script chart were the symbol is defined. then it is just a matter of finding the "13BB" symbol.

in this case it's a symbol from the Cherokee language that looks very much to an "H".

regards,
tonecas

idn 6th September 2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonecas (Bericht 140206)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...OIBUAA:US:1123

nice flip José!

is that symbol even on a kewboard? ;)

regards,
tonecas

This might not be scamming, but it is taking advantage of the unsophisticated investor. Congrads!

thefabfive 6th September 2009 05:42 PM

Questionable at best.

On this forum, that domain would not sell for $10. Yes, the description had all the IDN warnings, but I highly doubt the buyer knew what they were buying.

I change my mind, shameful at best.

tonecas 6th September 2009 06:31 PM

hi,

i'm new here and i don't want to start any flame.

i find the auction in the limits of what can be seen as an "honest" sell, in absense of a better word, but totally legit. the symbol even is present in cyrillic and greek languages, besides latin based languages. so, the buyer could even know what it is buying and have some purpose to it. maybe he likes to have one letter/symbol domains...

there is the information that's an IDN but it is true it lacks the important information what the symbol is in reality and what can be done with it.

but this is business.

one can't ever be totally honest when the product that is selling has some "defect". if one as a house to sell and has some leaks on the pipes no one is going to say to the buyer "hey, this house is not good. there are many problems with it so you should not buy it from me". this is an extreme example but i think you get my idea.

also, when selling any product one has to emphasize the good aspects not the bad ones.

finally, who is buying has to make proper investigation. i'm new to IDN but until now i did not start buying everything that i see or believe in everything that i read. I try to understand the business, if there is any problems, etc.

This has to be done in every aspect of life, not only in business. Everyone has to be more critic and make some effort in understanding things.

regards,
tonecas

alpha 6th September 2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefabfive (Bericht 140231)
..shameful at best.

agree.

Another black-eye for IDN.

Rubber Duck 6th September 2009 07:00 PM

In which case steer clear of symbols because you stand to get badly burnt.

Drewbert 6th September 2009 07:12 PM

"Ꮋ closely resembles the H ascii letter (H is the eighth letter in the basic modern Latin alphabet) Among other uses, the "H" char alone is very well worldwide recognized alone as "Hotel", so imagine the possibilities..."

== "use this domain for phishing once the real h.com is auctioned off soon!

Avtal 6th September 2009 07:19 PM

The ebay auction page has a link to a Sedo auction:
http://sedo.com/... that shows §.com selling for more than $7,000 in February of this year.

Am I correct in thinking that typographic symbols like § are no longer valid as domain names under IETF rules?

Changing the subject to real estate:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonecas (Bericht 140233)
if one as a house to sell and has some leaks on the pipes no one is going to say to the buyer "hey, this house is not good. there are many problems with it so you should not buy it from me".

I don't know about other jurisdictions, but if you sell a house in California you need to disclose very thoroughly any known defects, including pipe leaks, noise problems from neighboring airports, and proximity to major earthquake faults.

The one thing that the seller doesn't have to disclose is whether the housing market is in an unsustainable bubble.

Avtal

Rubber Duck 6th September 2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbert (Bericht 140236)
"Ꮋ closely resembles the H ascii letter (H is the eighth letter in the basic modern Latin alphabet) Among other uses, the "H" char alone is very well worldwide recognized alone as "Hotel", so imagine the possibilities..."

== "use this domain for phishing once the real h.com is auctioned off soon!

Hmmm, I can't see the resemblance, but what odds does it make anyway if it is not going to resolve with the DNS. Even as phishing domain it is going to lose its value if it won't resolve which it won't.

thefabfive 6th September 2009 07:25 PM

Title of the auction is "H.com Single Letter RARE IDN Domain Name" (using an ASCII H) and not "Ꮋ.com Single Letter RARE IDN Domain Name"

That alone says misleading to me.

Rubber Duck 6th September 2009 07:29 PM

That is because that was Bernanke's responsibility. Some people get away with murder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avtal (Bericht 140237)
The ebay auction page has a link to a Sedo auction:
http://sedo.com/... that shows §.com selling for more than $7,000 in February of this year.

Am I correct in thinking that typographic symbols like § are no longer valid as domain names under IETF rules?

Changing the subject to real estate:

I don't know about other jurisdictions, but if you sell a house in California you need to disclose very thoroughly any known defects, including pipe leaks, noise problems from neighboring airports, and proximity to major earthquake faults.

The one thing that the seller doesn't have to disclose is whether the housing market is in an unsustainable bubble.

Avtal

Avtal 6th September 2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Duck (Bericht 140240)
That is because that was Bernanke's responsibility. Some people get away with murder.

I think the US housing bubble was Greenspan's doing.

But I'm rooting for Bernanke -- I'm hoping he can inflate a nice IDN bubble.

Avtal

Drewbert 6th September 2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avtal (Bericht 140237)

You are correct.

Bye bye www.⨀⨀.com :(

jose 6th September 2009 08:57 PM

Well, I have to thank my buddy "tonecas" for this.

Tonecas: before posting this in here, didn't you pause for a moment and asked yourself, why didn't I post this in here myself?

Well, I decided long ago not to discuss these domains in here (I used to), because I know your opinion about this.

1. The title has H.com, because the Ꮋ symbol would not show up.

2. This is not a scam domain. I don't have any "domaín" domains. There's no H.com website. If this is a scam then all one letter cyrilic letter which are similar to ASCII would be scam. WELL, ARE THEY?

3. I can't imagine what other info I could have posted there. Maybe: DON'T BUY THIS. THIS IS A SCAM DOMAIN. I say: Ꮋ closely resembles the H ascii letter / Language of this domain: Cherokee. / There is no guarantee this domain will work forever. / Such domain names could contain letters with diacritics, as required by many European languages, or characters from non-Latin scripts such as Arabic or Chinese. However, the standard for domain names does not allow such characters, and much work has gone into finding a way around this, either by changing the standard, or by agreeing on a way to convert internationalized domain names into standard ASCII domain names while preserving the stability of the domain name system.

4. Cherokee domains have been traded on this forum before. Yes, but not for this value. Can you please let the market work for itself?

I am sorry if you all don't understand there's a market for these domains.

AND, most important, buyers knows what they are buying, you're not the one exchanging PMs whit them! I have been requested to remove bids from people who thought they were buying single letters ascii, which I promply did. I have been selling since 2005 on ebay with 100% positive.

NOT ONLY THAT, but I have invited buyer to join here, and he said he will. So, people give him a worm welcome when he joins here.

Drewbert 6th September 2009 09:14 PM

Sell it as a Cherokee one letter domain then, not

tonecas 6th September 2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jose (Bericht 140247)
Well, I have to thank my buddy "tonecas" for this.

Tonecas: before posting this in here, didn't you pause for a moment and asked yourself, why didn't I post this in here myself?

No.

1) Because this is a thread for IDN Sales Report. I found the sale and reported it.

2) I didn't though you want to say "look everyone, nice sale i have done!" in here.

3) I do not consider your sale as a scam so i posted with good faith.

regards,
tonecas

thefabfive 6th September 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

1. The title has H.com, because the Ꮋ symbol would not show up.
Pretty sure the punycode would show up.