IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2009, 11:41 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
The yellow banner

Does it have to be on every single page?
Old 12th September 2009, 01:17 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: The yellow banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post

China .cn.com $100.00
Old 12th September 2009, 01:38 AM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

adblock
Old 12th September 2009, 07:13 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
China .cn.com $100.00
Perhaps whoever is behind this registrar should check out prices at other registrars (and be aware of the real discounts most of us get at those)... why do song names and words start popping into my head now ...

I agree, now I have checked it out once... on everypage is a pain!

Ad blocker - umm... might have to do that...
Old 12th September 2009, 10:47 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan
adblock
come on guys cut us some slack here.. we get ridiculous monthly bills for keeping this forum alive - unlike Craig's $6 a month flaky hosting, this is stable but expensive, any contribution towards that is welcomed, even if it does hurt your eyes

if you can't live with it, then collpase it with the button
Old 12th September 2009, 11:44 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

They do have offer many exts for idn reg
Old 12th September 2009, 12:31 PM

K.I is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan View Post
adblock
I hope this is just a hobby for you.

You're definitely in the wrong business.
Old 12th September 2009, 12:49 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Thanks for everyones input, Gary is correct....you will get the screen when starting a session at the forum, but if you hit the "collapse" button (one time) it will close that screen for your entire session. At any rate...thanks for your feedback and we welcome any suggestions towards finding a good solution. I also hope everyone will take a look at 101domain.com and what they offer as we appreciate their support.

We are working on a few new formats for the forum, but at the same time we appreciate 101domain helping defer some of the cost of hosting (currently $1800 per year), not counting the costs of upgrades for the VB, and time administering the forum (currently done by volunteers).

The hosting company we use is not cheap, they provide services to large companies like EBAY but they provide what members here wanted most- Dependability, Speed, and (hopefully) 0 downtime. We get 24/7 support at SVWH and their engineers have stepped in to help with forum tech issues on a few occasions and that is not cheap either.

And welcome to 101domain.com. I am sure they would appreciate your feedback on what you guys would like to see in a registrar. They are interested in your feedback, and certainly are here to try and earn your business.

A few things I might like to see offered:
Ability to co-own domains with partners with a legal agreement that the registrar will support.
Security measures for hijacking of account, or premium service of verifying transfers etc.
For larger customers, Account Manager and Phone support (without the big wait)
Old 12th September 2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I View Post

Wonder if using pop-up blocker and a firewall puts me in wrong biz as well
Damn - guess I better get ready to start my IDN firesale sometime soon...

I do wonder how people take these jumps in logic sometimes - but perhaps IDNs and ad banners are mutually exclusive (and IDNs just won't work without them - perhaps explains the ICANN delays umm )...

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: Alpha- thanks for the tip - thats a good solution (remove the thread if ya want - as long as no one else minds)
Old 12th September 2009, 01:50 PM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks for caring. Yes, just a hobby.
Old 12th September 2009, 02:17 PM

If you're shooting your own foot, you're an idiot. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay View Post
Damn - guess I better get ready to start my IDN firesale sometime soon...
You'll do it eventually.
Old 12th September 2009, 03:41 PM

@ K.I. think I will make a few banners now for my sites...
Firesale Tip: pick up 今日占い.net - you seem a natural at this prediction stuff...
Old 12th September 2009, 04:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

I think having a forum that is actually a commercial success is a very good idea.

For what it is worth you have my approbation.
Old 12th September 2009, 04:31 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

I'm not knocking the banner, it's all good, just wanted to comment on the hosting costs because they do seem exorbitant.

I ran IDNC from a VPS in Amsterdam, that had (still has) 128 MB memory and a 4 GB hard disk. I also ran about 20 other websites of my own there at the same time, and have also hosted a large number of minisites for 3 different people. At the time, IDNC was quite busy and seemed to have more activity than is happening here recently. The point is that a small server, which was properly tuned, handled a hell of a load flawlessly.

After the initial MySQL tuning, the server was never slow, VB ran fast, and at this time the server has been running for 505 days without a restart. The default MySQL tuning is horribly inefficient and resource intensive, especially for VB.

How much do I pay per month for this VPS? 24 EUR.
Old 12th September 2009, 05:34 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm View Post
I'm not knocking the banner, it's all good, just wanted to comment on the hosting costs because they do seem exorbitant.
No doubt there are cheaper ways to go, but Silicon Valley Web Hosting came highly recommended and their technical assistance was well worth it. They handled communications and the moving of forum data off Craigs Server, then along with the Admin's here went thru a good bit of work to restore a lot of lost and corrupted files. SVWH does offer hosting packages that start at $14 a month, but we chose to go with a dedicated server, 24/7 support, data backup plans etc. that insure the forum is going to run smoothly and if there are glitches we have SVWH technical staff available to get it fixed quickly if our Admins can't get to it asap.

When we took over the site from Craig, the VBulletin was quite an old version...at that point probably 3 years old (VBulletin updates about 2x a year I believe). After the database was transferred, there were there numerous technical issues that occurred which finally solved by customizing a Debian operating system to finally fix most of the bugs. If you want the ins and outs, ask Drew, Sal, Bram or Sergey. These guys really put in the o/t hours to solve issues and fix things right. In particular that included restoring all the old posts and data back into 2005 which for a while we thought we may not be able to restore.

Now that those issues are behind us, exploring better options for hosting is a good possiblity so thanks for bringing this up. You do pay a premium price to have svwh.net give you 24/7 support, and so far it seems like a good investment. Feel free to check out the svwh.net website and you can get an idea of the scope of their services, their company motto: 'Business Critical'

Last edited by bwhhisc; 12th September 2009 at 07:12 PM..
Old 12th September 2009, 05:41 PM

Yeah - advertising is a must really and understand your point... as you say, location of adverts so people don't have to scroll as much, is perhaps better (top, right and left based advert locations).

Might also be a good idea to add 101domains to the "Domain Registration" &/or "Domain hosting" section of the forums (wonder if they have spare hosting space for the forum) - but, it seems sensible to add them into these categories, since they are supporting it.

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: 101domains should smile really - all this discussion means we all click to see their site
Old 12th September 2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
@ K.I. think I will make a few banners now for my sites...
Firesale Tip: pick up 今日占い.net - you seem a natural at this prediction stuff...
Whether you're a domain investor or a web developer, you're promoting something that hurts your business.
I don't need to be psychic to see that you'll fail in the long run. It's just survival of the fittest.
Old 12th September 2009, 08:08 PM

Personally I am 10,000 times more concerned with people working out how to upgrade away from IE6 (so can see IDNs) or IDNs working as native text for e-mails.

Domain investment and development is not centred around advert banners - to be frank text links are far more useful for ranking purposes.

The point I was trying to make K.I. is that it is plain arrogant and twisted logic to tell another member you shouldn't be in domaining and are a silly idiot as use an ad-blocker yourself.

In the world of the internet nothing is fixed, pop-up pages are near useless already (even open in new page is going out the window with recent browser changes) - I actually know my own business would be most likely be totally uneffected if adblockers were used (but this depends on ones earning and promotional model).

Yours might be effected, but if the technology exists already to destroy your business, then maybe is time to look at new earnings models (however since the average user can not even work out how to get a good and useful browser, you probably have a window of time before browsers add this feature as standard).

Hope you get the point now my friend

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 12th September 2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Domain investment and development is not centred around advert banners - to be frank text links are far more useful for ranking purposes.

The point I was trying to make K.I. is that it is plain arrogant and twisted logic to tell another member you shouldn't be in domaining and are a silly idiot as use an ad-blocker yourself.
I don't know what lala land you are living in but advertising has been the main source of revenue for %99.99 of the web sites. Besides, it's not just banners, most of those add-ons block text ads as well.

Sorry Asiaplay, but I have respect for leechers.
Old 12th September 2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Besides, it's not just banners, most of those add-ons block text ads as well.
Exactly.

ANYONE with any sort of on-line business that recommends people install ad blocking software needs to arrange a meeting with Mr. Cluebat.