IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2009, 05:55 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough
IDN price

There was an IDN for sale at one of these forums. I was willing to pay a few k for it but the owner wanted $60k for it.

While we see many good domains here can't even get the reg fee back, many premium domain owners still have strong confidence in idns.

That guy may eventually get $60k for his domain.
Old 18th September 2009, 06:43 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN price

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits View Post
There was an IDN for sale at one of these forums. I was willing to pay a few k for it but the owner wanted $60k for it.

While we see many good domains here can't even get the reg fee back, many premium domain owners still have strong confidence in idns.

That being the case I am sure he wants $100K+ now.
Old 18th September 2009, 07:13 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Thats why they are called premium domains. The seller sets the premium, and you pay.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:26 PM

K.I is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
we see many good domains here can't even get the reg fee back
I haven't seen one.

Quote:
Anything "may" happen.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:44 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I View Post
I haven't seen one.

Anything "may" happen.
LOL K.I, was that you who I have been dealing with at the other forum?
Old 18th September 2009, 12:54 PM

K.I is an unknown quantity at this point

I dunno, maybe?
Old 19th September 2009, 08:04 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes - there are some people that think their IDNs have reached ascii levels (or value them way above market rates / business earnings potential) - althought hard to comment 100% in this case, not knowing which actual IDN and language...

In these cases I just tell them keep it (and good luck) if it is overpriced - as their are always almost, good alternatives (also SEO is generaly weak in new language markets, so having the best IDN is very longterm and even a non-keyword can easily be built to win or alternatively another good keyword or brand type IDN).

It is often better to use the 2nd best keyword in my opinion (or a domain that includes that keyword, depending on language) or if fits into one's strategy, use a brand type domain instead , than overpay and become another business dot com - bankrupt as overpaid for a domain at the start

Nice thing is that when someone wants an over-valued rate and will not settle for less, they actually keep that IDN out of the ranking competition for you (so that you have time to build another IDN so strongly, that their keyword IDN will never be useful by the time someone buys it, as they will never be able to catch up in the backlink count or search rankings and then will have to rely only on typins... which may or may not work very well, depending on market and keyword and how browsers redirect).

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: for clarification, some of the IDNs I have discussed with members here, are worth the value asked (just not worth it for the business potential that having that keyword offered me personally) - so this is a general comment and does not reflect directly on discussions I have had myself with some members here (but no-one has asked me for ridiculously high prices yet - ohh once only)...
Old 19th September 2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

If it is the buyers that are bleating about prices and lack of availability, that tells me that the market is hinting the buyers are wrong. Anyway, if you want to yet Ought for Naught then Good Luck!
Old 19th September 2009, 07:35 PM

RD, I think maybe this could be your chance to publish your 60K list for us
As perhaps among all holders here you do have a few???

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 19th September 2009, 07:43 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay View Post
RD, I think maybe this could be your chance to publish your 60K list for us As perhaps among all holders here you do have a few???
Cheers - Asiaplay
I think he could sum it up in one word "Geo's"
Old 20th September 2009, 08:52 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
RD, I think maybe this could be your chance to publish your 60K list for us
As perhaps among all holders here you do have a few???

Cheers - Asiaplay
What you guys don't get is that most of the these names will never be explicitly put up for sale, and indeed many just are simply not available.

I have come to the conclusion that putting names up all over the place really only exposes me to greater risk of attempts at Domain Hijacking, so what is the incentive for me?

I think at this stage of the game the onus is on the buyers to show us the money. You are not telling me you are waiving $60K around. Buyers are simply moaning over the quotes they are receiving. That gives me little incentive to bring piggy to market.
Old 20th September 2009, 09:40 AM

Yeah - just baiting you RD - as know you will not post a list
Although buyers bleating, is not the case (commenting on some expectations, is perhaps what was reality).

Also I know you will never just give me a dumb, blanket, ilogical answer and this is why I do appreciate debates with you.

I agree, that it is not a great idea to post big lists for the reason (and others) you pointed out... really not much point to (so no surprise you didn't post - lol).

I also agree with many of your IDNs, keep them in the piggy in the bank until rates improve (I have told some others this too - as logic is that they some time, they have to met or be above present day ascii rates for the same keyword).
But saying that, do remember to enjoy the bacon while you still can
(i.e. never seen any point of someone being too old to enjoy one's fortune or never spending it to enjoy life) .

Prices are a always a balance between buyer and seller, but often people do dream that today's rates are at values higher than their is a true buyers market for (we all want value in the assets we own, but that doesn't mean those assets don't have to stand up to normal value measurements e.g. traffic, current sales, possible earnings of owning a domain/IDN etc. etc.).

I have had one or two occasions where people have over-valued
e.g. a .HK (where price wanted was around 30K and person thought market would move to 100K in next 2 years (as that was prediction of another forum member)... however logic tells me total market population in Hong Kong is 7 million, internet users maybe 3.5 million and traffic 15K per month, in a pretty dead online ecommerce environment and it was also a keyword where traffic was unlikely to grow in that case) - so I firmly believe that the IDN will never be commercially worth what the seller hopes it will.
Another example was a spanish IDN, traffic 22K and price 7K - personally think this was overvalued for the particular keyword as well (sales of similar keywords showed present value was more like US$350).

So I can understand when members of this forum, who understand prices better than the average person, do sometimes get frustrated when something they know would sell for 100USD in the forum if auctioned, gets a quote of 60K.
For myself, where this happens, I use another strategy, which I know will work better than over-investing in the domain itself (so balance of current value, verse usefulness of IDN, verse commercial value IDN can bring).

Just balancing the thread - as their are always two sides to every discussion.
Value is a real market factor, which we can all calculate at today's prices and estimates for the future (are guess-timates - even ascii rates have currently dropped right back from the levels they were at 2 years ago).
Both seller and buyer have the right to take any position they choose of course (and obviously they both do).

Cheers - Asiaplay

Last edited by Asiaplay; 20th September 2009 at 09:50 AM..
Old 20th September 2009, 09:56 AM
Veteran

What life has taught me this last couple of years that Enjoyment has very little to do with Money. I have been pretty skint for most of the last five years, until thing got a lot better this year. I am talking frighteningly skint, but I have had some of the best times of my life, which I probably wouldn't have had if I had the money.
Old 20th September 2009, 11:35 AM

Good to hear - happy to hear you have been enjoying.
I agree that $ doesn't equal happiness - they do perhaps make life comfortable and open some experiences in life that otherwise can't be had (some good / some bad).
But too true, there are other ways to enjoy as well, that don't use $.

I have this funny new measure I use... umm - another IDN or a good bottle of whisk(e)y - even though I hardly have a glass, it is one enjoyment for me once in a while and like many of my IDNs, sits on the shelf waiting for me or friends to enjoy - lol (helps me balance the present verse future when investing).

Cheers matey - your portfolio is unique and you for sure know the value of it - few would argue you don't have some IDNs of this value, even at present prices... which is not something many others and myself can for sure say at present (and for sure you deserve all rewards that do and will come from it).

I just wish I could develop my IDNs faster than resources (even time) sometimes allow - when someone does a hotel.com type success using an IDN (or IDNs), for sure the world will sit up and take notice and a thread like this one will not even be started

Asiaplay
Old 20th September 2009, 12:29 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Good to hear - happy to hear you have been enjoying.
I agree that $ doesn't equal happiness - they do perhaps make life comfortable and open some experiences in life that otherwise can't be had (some good / some bad).
But too true, there are other ways to enjoy as well, that don't use $.

Without $$, is it possible to have happiness? In HK i mean.
Old 20th September 2009, 12:41 PM

Depends on one's dreams Touchring...
Old 20th September 2009, 04:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring View Post
Without $$, is it possible to have happiness? In HK i mean.
You don't need $US Bills to keep warm in HK, it is far too warm out there. You would also have problems getting the right boiler to burn them efficiently.