IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2006, 04:53 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Post DNJournal: Japanese Prefectures, Anime.tv

The picture continues to brighten for International Domain Names. IDNs were the topic of a lot of favorable discussion at the Domain Roundtable Conference in Seattle last week (details can be found in our conference wrap up report slated for publication on our home page Thursday night (April 27). On the IDN sales front, Gary Males acquired a group of 8 Japanese Prefecture domains for $15,000 in a private transaction after hooking up with the seller at IDNForums.com. Males now owns 11 of the 47 Japanese Prefectures (a prefecture is a geographical district, similar to a county or state in America).

The new acquisitions for Males (at an average cost of $1,875 each) were 香川県.com (Kagawa Prefecture), 石川県.com (Ishikawa Prefecture), 滋賀県.com (Shiga Prefecture), 愛媛県.com (Ehime Prefecture), 岩手県.com (Iwate Prefecture), 山口県.com (Yamaguchi Prefecture), 富山県.com (Toyama Prefecture) and 奈良県.com (Nara Prefecture). You'll also find IDN sales in both our Global Contenders and Country Codes sections below.

Wörterbuch.info (IDN)
("dictionary" in German) €1,900 = $2,345 Sedo

We also saw our first IDN .tv sale with アニメ.tv ("anime" in Japanese) selling for $1,200 at the IDNPros.com forum.
Old 26th April 2006, 05:08 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: DNJournal: Japanese Prefectures, Anime.tv

Congrats To all Party Involed this is literly Amazing!!!!
Old 26th April 2006, 05:23 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yes congrats
I think the ball will keep rolling for a few more weeks...
Also congrats to IDNPros for getting on DNJournal....
Old 26th April 2006, 05:31 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

I believe in some ways the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. crowd will be the harder audience to get interested in IDN. It will be interesting to hear if there was any IDN buzz when they wrap up that show next week.
Old 26th April 2006, 06:41 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I believe in some ways the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. crowd will be the harder audience to get interested in IDN.
But if/when they do....watch out.
Old 26th April 2006, 06:45 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I believe in some ways the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. crowd will be the harder audience to get interested in IDN. It will be interesting to hear if there was any IDN buzz when they wrap up that show next week.
Yes, unless Rick has done a U Turn which I doubt, that is going to be mainly about ASCII.com!

Frankly though, although Traffic got going first and may still be bigger, I think they are seen more as representing a narrow range of vested interests. I think Roundtable is rapidly becoming the acceptable face of domaining.
Old 26th April 2006, 06:49 PM

John W is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: DNJournal: Japanese Prefectures, Anime.tv

A big congratulations to Gary and to the seller both.
Old 26th April 2006, 07:51 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes, unless Rick has done a U Turn which I doubt, that is going to be mainly about ASCII.com!

Frankly though, although Traffic got going first and may still be bigger, I think they are seen more as representing a narrow range of vested interests. I think Roundtable is rapidly becoming the acceptable face of domaining.
I will have to disagree here. TRAFFIC is not just about Rick; there's a roster of most of the top ascii "players" there.

And, while they're too busy making millions off their current portfolios at this time, once they see the traffic/resale potential of idn they'll jump in with both feet, and believe you me, the idn landscape will change; for the better of course
Old 26th April 2006, 07:55 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
I will have to disagree here. TRAFFIC is not just about Rick; there's a roster of most of the top ascii "players" there.

And, while they're too busy making millions off their current portfolios at this time, once they see the traffic/resale potential of idn they'll jump in with both feet, and believe you me, the idn landscape will change; for the better of course
Yes, but the essential difference would appear to be that Roundtable is setting out to represent the entire domaining community, whereas Traffic is essentially a group of speculators. Nothing wrong with that in itself, just different.
Old 26th April 2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>a group of speculators

A gaggle?

A flock?

I've ssen some WHOIS that shows that a few of them have some pretty good IDN's some on them have had them for a while. Maybe they're too ashamed to come out of the ASCII closet?
Old 26th April 2006, 08:27 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I think people are making a lot of money out of ASCII names with the recent boom - the opportunity cost is there, especially when, so much time is needed to find foreign names. I believe these guys can easily earn 10-20k a mth just by picking up ascii drops and immediately selling them. I earned 10k selling ASCII drops back then in Sept and Oct when i started domaining. I took this money and invest in IDNS - you can say i didn't spend a single cent of my own money. And whatever names i sold is pure profit.

Last edited by touchring; 26th April 2006 at 08:32 PM..
Old 26th April 2006, 08:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
>a group of speculators

A gaggle?

A flock?

I've ssen some WHOIS that shows that a few of them have some pretty good IDN's some on them have had them for a while. Maybe they're too ashamed to come out of the ASCII closet?
A gaggle definitely has appeal as a discription for ASCII.com investors, for some of the ccTLDs though a Flock might be more appropriate. I think for IDNs, I would go for a School.
Old 18th May 2006, 08:59 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
... now owns 11 of the 47 Japanese Prefectures (a prefecture is a geographical district, similar to a county or state in America). ....
11 became 12 today.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:03 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Congratulations again to Gary (Alphamale) and the seller. You are becoming a regular feature at the DNJournal. Any details released, or was this a semi-private transaction?
Old 18th May 2006, 09:10 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Congratulations again to Gary (Alphamale) and the seller. You are becoming a regular feature at the DNJournal. Any details released, or was this a semi-private transaction?
thanks!
I have no plans or desire to be in DNJ. Personally, I think the same buyer appearing in DNJ can send out the wrong message.

If the seller wants to come forward on this forum I have no problem with that, but I haven't discussed going public with this.

Last edited by alpha; 18th May 2006 at 09:17 PM..
Old 18th May 2006, 09:28 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
thanks! I have no plans or desire to be in DNJ. Personally, I think the same buyer appearing in DNJ can send out the wrong message.
If the seller wants to come forward on this forum I have no problem with that, but I haven't discussed going public with this.
Agreed...more importantly is the SALE being listed in DNJ if at all possible. This will continue the continuity and momentum of IDN sales which is important at this point. I believe Duke at DNJ is usually willing to provide privacy regarding the individuals if requested.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:31 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Agreed...more importantly is the SALE being listed in DNJ if at all possible. This will continue the continuity and momentum of IDN sales which is important at this point. I believe Duke at DNJ is usually willing to provide privacy regarding the individuals if requested.
Yes, I will email him. For those that are interested though, the prefecture was Nagasaki 長崎県.com and sold at $2300.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:37 PM

Smile Re: DNJournal: Japanese Prefectures, Anime.tv

Quote:
Yes, I will email him. For those that are interested though, the prefecture was Nagasaki 長崎県.com and sold at $2300.
Good buy! We have the .net on the same prefecture.
Old 19th May 2006, 12:26 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Quote:
and what a nice prefecture it is .
Old 19th May 2006, 06:32 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
and what a nice prefecture it is .
thanks, yes I think this is my favourite - not for its's size, but for it's importance in history.

It was an interesting deal as well; not the usual buy-sell affair.

You see most of the time in a business deal it involes a winner and a loser. Even if the balance offset is only slight, there will usually be a loser involved.

Who was the loser in this deal?

Was it the buyer? I don't think so, I think i got a good deal here.

Was it the seller? Absolutely not, the ROI on this was incredible.

So who is the losing party? Well, that would probably be the previous Japanese owner; who despite owning the name for a number of years, let it drop into the waiting net of a drop catcher a few days ago.

England 1-0 Japan :p

Note to self: must start World Cup thread..