IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2006, 11:18 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Who's going to get the first over $50,000 sale on IDNF

Hey guys
I know the market's not even open yet but things are looking up for the industry.
Who do you think is going to land the first, second, & third sale of 1 domain at over $50,000?
Edwin has a good selection with those that we haven't even seen yet, will it be Rubber Duck who may be easily leading with sales? Will it be Giant with his massive amount of really good Premium Chinese Domains? will JobCollect come onboard the site at some point or some of the oldtimer IDNers & starting posting?

For those of you in the Western World it's Hump Day Good Morning...
Old 26th April 2006, 11:43 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: Who's going to get the first over $50,000 sale on IDNF

I doubt it will be me, if we're talking about the sale of a single domain. Mind you, 長崎.com and 札幌.com are looking pretty juicy. Still, if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet on myself
Old 26th April 2006, 01:05 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's not the issue of who is to get the first over $50,000 sale, but rather, who wants to be the first to get a $50,000 sale. Not many people here are willing to sell their best names so early.

Last edited by touchring; 26th April 2006 at 01:18 PM..
Old 26th April 2006, 01:13 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I think it's not the issue of who is to get the first over $50,000 sale, but rather, who wants to be the first to get a $50,000 sale. Not many people here are willing to sell their best names so early.
I am not convince there are yet commited buyers in the market ready to shell out that kind of money. If they materialise, yes, I would probably be prepared to part with something. I think that I have few that are already worth that kind of money. Until such buyers materialise the better domains will stay under lock and key. We are not talking about divesting from large numbers here. One or two at the most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I doubt it will be me, if we're talking about the sale of a single domain. Mind you, 長崎.com and 札幌.com are looking pretty juicy. Still, if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet on myself
Well if those two are included in your $500K, the rest can't be worth much!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 26th April 2006 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 26th April 2006, 01:20 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

What's $50k to long-time time domain players?

If the owner of Japan.com puts up the domain for sale for $50k on DNF Exclusive, i won't be surprised there will be a dozen people prepared to claim that name within a day or two.
Old 26th April 2006, 01:30 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

When traffic takes off and our daily stats go up by 10-20% every day, it would be very hard to price any domains. At that point we might decide that selling that top IDN to a speculator (those always come before the end users) would not make much sense, as we progress from IDN domain holders with PPC income to web publishers.
Old 26th April 2006, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
When traffic takes off and our daily stats go up by 10-20% every day, it would be very hard to price any domains. At that point we might decide that selling that top IDN to a speculator (those always come before the end users) would not make much sense, as we progress from IDN domain holders with PPC income to web publishers.
Yes, you have got it, the name of the game is about buying holding and exploiting the traffic potential. Sales are just about mitigating cashflow and enabling the registrations of more domains, whilst the opportunities still exist.

In a years time, it won't be a question of how much you are prepared to pay, but whether you can identify any sellers. Most of the best domains will have hidden Whois and the owners will be tucked away in the Camen Islands.
Old 26th April 2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes, you have got it, the name of the game is about buying holding and exploiting the traffic potential. Sales are just about mitigating cashflow and enabling the registrations of more domains, whilst the opportunities still exist.

In a years time, it won't be a question of how much you are prepared to pay, but whether you can identify any sellers. Most of the best domains will have hidden Whois and the owners will be tucked away in the Camen Islands.
I agree.

The amazing part is that 20-30 people will end up controlling 80% or so of non-english internet type-in traffic.
Old 26th April 2006, 01:41 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck

everyone has a different strategy though.

personally I won't sell a thing this side of all the great milestones that are ie7, idn.idn etc..

some i imagine are in it for the guaranteed short term profit, ie buy now sell now.

others follow your strategy, of sell some now, buy lots more now and cover costs... it's certainly what my bank manager would like me to do... but i just can't bring myself to do it.

I will sink to the depths of oblivion or shoot to the moon. for me there is nowhere inbetween - but like I said - everyone has a different attitude.
Old 26th April 2006, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
everyone has a different strategy though.

personally I won't sell a thing this side of all the great milestones that are ie7, idn.idn etc..

some i imagine are in it for the guaranteed short term profit, ie buy now sell now.

others follow your strategy, of sell some now, buy lots more now and cover costs... it's certainly what my bank manager would like me to do... but i just can't bring myself to do it.

I will sink to the depths of oblivion or shoot to the moon. for me there is nowhere inbetween - but like I said - everyone has a different attitude.
Yes, that just about sums it up, apart from the fact that some of us also have an eye on developing markets and infrastructure, which also influences our strategies.

Quote:
I agree.

The amazing part is that 20-30 people will end up controlling 80% or so of non-english internet type-in traffic.
Yes, which as that is going to represent close to 50% of the Global total, will leave the existing self-appointed Masters of the Universe looking a bit sick and comparatively poor!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 26th April 2006 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 26th April 2006, 02:06 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

the other thing to bear in mind is the opinion from a non-believer of IDN.

I remember when I was studying for my MBA, we spent a long time looking at the phenomenon known as "group think".

"Group think" is where a group of individuals come together and all believe the same thing, and through the increasing momentum of the group keep talking it up, the subject matter reaches such a velocity that the group simply cannot agree on an opinion that goes against what the group agree on.

You could say that with all the hype, and buying and selling, and increasing prices, and more selling, and more talk of becoming millionaires - that we too are a victim of this "group think".

This is why, in my opinion, forget the milestones of idn.idn etc. - the single biggest milestone to hit will be a big name public sale of a non-latin idn to an end user, because this will prove that we are not just carried away by it all.

- don't shoot me for saying this, i'm just peeking inside the mind of a non-believer!
Old 26th April 2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I remember when I was studying for my MBA, we spent a long time looking at the phenomenon known as "group think".

"Group think" is where a group of individuals come together and all believe the same thing, and through the increasing momentum of the group keep talking it up, the subject matter reaches such a velocity that the group simply cannot agree on an opinion that goes against what the group agree on.

You could say that with all the hype, and buying and selling, and increasing prices, and more selling, and more talk of becoming millionaires - that we too are a victim of this "group think".

This is why, in my opinion, forget the milestones of idn.idn etc. - the single biggest milestone to hit will be a big name public sale of a non-latin idn to an end user, because this will prove that we are not just carried away by it all.

- don't shoot me for saying this, i'm just peeking inside the mind of a non-believer!
Wasn't tokyo.net that milestone?
Old 26th April 2006, 02:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:

Well you are quite correct, but don't forget a good number of came to this strategy independently and have met through the Forum.

Others have been converted, but not without very heated debate. Edwin's and Olney's conversions were real fire and brimestone affairs. Two more contrite sceptics you could not wish to meet. The only reason they have come round to my point of view is that the evidence is incontravertible. Don't forget these guys are on the ground in one of the key target markets.

Quote:
Wasn't tokyo.net that milestone?
No, that was just one of set of benchmarks that will need to be established along the root, provided developing the secondary market remains a key objective. At the moment I see it as important as it is the only thing that gives us external visibility, which strengthens our hand with the parking services etc, it also enables us to tune our portfolios, whilst generating some short-term cashflow. In 2 years time I won't give a damn what people think they are worth or aren't worth. If I get some decent offers whilst benchmarking is still an objective, then I shall sell a few. Once things have gone beyond that juncture, frankly it won't matter anymore. I shall probably use the revenues to invest in conventional real-estate, but will probably just hold the domains portfolio indefinitely.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 26th April 2006 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 26th April 2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

If we develop some of our best names and prove that their SE/performance is up to par with the best latin generics then I see things happening, if we just wait untill some company decides to go out on a limb then I don't see the big sales happening anytime soon.

How much traffic comes from type-ins, less then 20% ?

I said it to Dave earlier, we need to produce a handfull of good IDN websites,
wíth content, with returning visitors and with good SE performance, if we got that to show for then it's not a speculative good anymore but a valid investment opportunity.

Remember that the value we atttribute to idn's is based on their theoretical perfomance for endusers, why not put up the final experiment ourselves ?

Last edited by bramiozo; 26th April 2006 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 26th April 2006, 02:50 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
...- that we too are a victim of this "group think"....
I agree that what have happened and is still happening at this forum is "group think", but whether we are "victims" depends on how you define "victim". For instance, some of us here will lose our daytime job (victim), because we will be too busy vacationing somewhere to spend our money earned from IDNs :-) .

The "group think" at this forum is supported by a very solid reason --- the strong need of IDN in this world. We rediscovered this need only when the great IDN Evangelist showed up in the middle of 2005, calling people to repent and convert.

As a person that has followed IDN since 2000, I am pretty amazed at the power of the "lone voice in the desert".

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 26th April 2006 at 03:33 PM..
Old 26th April 2006, 03:28 PM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
As a person that has followed IDN since 2000, I am pretty amazed by the power of the "lone voice in the desert".
Old 26th April 2006, 03:33 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
depends on how you define "victim". For instance, some of us here will lose our daytime job (victim), because we will be too busy vacationing somewhere to spend our money earned from IDNs :-) .

The "group think" at this forum is supported by a very solid reason --- the strong need of IDN in this world. We rediscovered this need only when the great IDN Evangelist showed up in the middle of 2005, calling people to repent and convert.

As a person that has followed IDN since 2000, I am pretty amazed by the power of the "lone voice in the desert".
Well said !
Old 26th April 2006, 03:41 PM
Veteran

The reason a Lone Voice is eventually listened to though, is purely down to the fact the that the truth won't go away!

I am not responsible for IDN or their inevitable success. All I have done is recognised their potential and attempted to take advantage of the ignorance of the markets to that potential.

Yes, I have conveyed the message to a wider audience to some degree, but all I really have done is modified the time frame very slightly and enabled a few others to share in my good fortune that may not have otherwise done so.