IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2009, 09:02 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point
chinese parking traffic

some of my chinese domains used to have good traffic a few years ago, parked at silverclick. but in the last 2 years, the traffic has dropped a lot. is chinese authority blocking traffic or people are being trained not to click parked pages?

i blame myself for not spending more time developing but simply didn't have the bandwidth.
Old 17th October 2009, 08:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough
Re: chinese parking traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne View Post
some of my chinese domains used to have good traffic a few years ago, parked at silverclick. but in the last 2 years, the traffic has dropped a lot. is chinese authority blocking traffic or people are being trained not to click parked pages?

i blame myself for not spending more time developing but simply didn't have the bandwidth.
It is the Hack that allows the current use of IDN.IDN that is the problem. The tail of may be due to wider coverage of the hack that is done from ISPs. You should see this hack dropped from 16 Nov as dot CN will certainly be in the vanguard of new addition to the ICANN Root. If they don't drop the hack, then their own IDN.IDN will not take advantage of the new support they have fought so hard for. It is likely that the Hack will melt away like the morning due and your type in will come on line fairly quickly. Of course there is still the browser support issue, but don't forget IE6 has already been supplied with a plug-in otherwise the Hack would not have worked in the first place. Whether or not the plug-in will require an update is anybody's guess, but it would seem likely that this is all in hand.
Old 17th October 2009, 02:30 PM

Thanks Rubber for the update to the van Winkle. What will happen to .cn, .com.cn? will .com/.net finally get a .IDN equivalent?

I'll probably sell a bunch any way, i really need to focus on development. really no excuse except for the time issue.
Old 17th October 2009, 02:43 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks Rubber for the update to the van Winkle. What will happen to .cn, .com.cn? will .com/.net finally get a .IDN equivalent?

I'll probably sell a bunch any way, i really need to focus on development. really no excuse except for the time issue.
Chinese equivalent of dot CN goes live fairly soon but no DNames as yet. Of course as you get both version a simple forwarding will give an aliasing of sorts, it would seem likely, however, that what ICANN won't provide the registry will. It was ever thus. Verisign have secured nothing as yet, but there seems to be no reason that would not obtain a Chinese alias for dot com and implement it in their own servers.

I am afraid that I am the Schwartz camp. Development is probably a waste of time unless it is part of a wider business model. I think the days of Spam Minisites are numbered.
Old 17th October 2009, 02:46 PM

How about .com.cn people? will they get top level .gongsi?

i agree with the mini sites thing too. so i'll develop some but not others...
Old 17th October 2009, 02:53 PM
Veteran

There is not a cat in hell's chance of a SLD being alias to a TDL anytime soon. It also seems most unlikely that the dot CN registry would be given Gonsi in the ICANN Root.

Quote:
How about .com.cn people? will they get top level .gongsi?

i agree with the mini sites thing too. so i'll develop some but not others...
Old 17th October 2009, 03:00 PM

Interesting, i just went and checked ename auctions, chinese.gongsi seems not listed any more, possibly reflecting the same expectation by the chinese, or the supply of .gongsi for auction is just really low. however, they continue to allow people to register .gongsi
Old 17th October 2009, 04:09 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When Baidu indexed IDN in 2004 and 2005, I earned about $3,000/month for my IDNs parking. But after Baidu changed their search algorithm (not to index IDNs any more because they were in conflict with Baidu's own Real Name keyword sales), IDN traffics dropped a lot.

Recent developments in Baidu indicates that Baidu is going to index IDNs again and will put a pause on selling their Real Name keywords. We will see IDN traffics increase dramatically soon.

I've never seen Chinese authority block IDN traffics.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 17th October 2009 at 04:40 PM..
Old 17th October 2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
... Verisign have secured nothing as yet, but there seems to be no reason that would not obtain a Chinese alias for dot com and implement it in their own servers.
Believe me, Chinese IDN dot com doesn't need a Chinese alias for Com. It's good for China to have a .中国 for .cn extention in case people want to see something in their own language. But once they get what they want and after they have experienced typing .中国, the Chinese will soon discover that they love typing .cn much better than .中国.

I try it on IE8, Firefox, and Chrome, We don't have to switch to Latin keyboard to type dot com extention:

"旅游。com" (all input by Chinese keyboard) will work just fine, no switching is needed.

@

Last edited by Giant; 17th October 2009 at 04:32 PM..
Old 17th October 2009, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant View Post
Believe me, Chinese IDN dot com doesn't need a Chinese alias for Com. It's good for China to have a .中国 for .cn extention in case people want to see something in their own language. But once they get what they want and after they have experienced typing .中国, the Chinese will soon discover that they love typing .cn much better than .中国.

I try it on IE8, Firefox, and Chrome, We don't have to switch to Latin keyboard to type dot com extention:

"旅游。com" (all input by Chinese keyboard) will work just fine, no switching is needed.
Not if you listen to the Talking Heads on DNF they won't.
Old 18th October 2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
When Baidu indexed IDN in 2004 and 2005, I earned about $3,000/month for my IDNs parking. But after Baidu changed their search algorithm (not to index IDNs any more because they were in conflict with Baidu's own Real Name keyword sales), IDN traffics dropped a lot.

Recent developments in Baidu indicates that Baidu is going to index IDNs again and will put a pause on selling their Real Name keywords. We will see IDN traffics increase dramatically soon.

I've never seen Chinese authority block IDN traffics.
Didn't they use to block sedo parked page traffic? so i assumed that they blocked silverclick traffic too... Also does Baidu index parked pages too? t

very interesting information.
Old 18th October 2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Didn't they use to block sedo parked page traffic? so i assumed that they blocked silverclick traffic too... Also does Baidu index parked pages too? t

very interesting information.
They block sedo by their IP address, all Ascii and IDN sites hosted on this IP are blocked. But they never block a site because it's IDN site.

Silverclicks has an ICP license from the government, they do not block SC's Ascii sites or IDN sites.

Baidu do index parked pages, but not IDN urls. Google index IDN urls.

@
Old 18th October 2009, 07:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
They block sedo by their IP address, all Ascii and IDN sites hosted on this IP are blocked. But they never block a site because it's IDN site.

Silverclicks has an ICP license from the government, they do not block SC's Ascii sites or IDN sites.

Baidu do index parked pages, but not IDN urls. Google index IDN urls.
Why wouldn't they take offense at Sedo?

Sedo does bugger all to accommodate the Chinese. It seems only fair that they return the complement.