IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2009, 11:45 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Introducing IDN Newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Yeah, when is this going to hit the street?
Thanks for all the support and enthusiasm:D The first IDNNewsletter will be released within the next two weeks.

Why, you might ask? Because we are now focusing our efforts on a significant marketing campaign designed to attract foreign investors. Stay tuned...
Old 6th November 2009, 09:22 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Yeah, when is this going to hit the street?
This Sunday (8th)
Old 6th November 2009, 12:01 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

looking forward to it.
Old 7th November 2009, 10:50 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for all the signups, IDN submissions and supportive emails. I'm really looking forward to our IDNNewsletter release tomorrow.
Old 8th November 2009, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Can you send it Monday instead?

I'll be in church Sunday.
Old 8th November 2009, 08:30 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Just hit my inbox................. with pictures, a Rubber Duck and an Atlas. :D
Old 8th November 2009, 09:13 PM

dnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dnnames

Ah mmm I didn't get it yet. Maybe still dispatching!
Old 8th November 2009, 09:17 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

I signed up fairly early. If you signed up late then it might take a while. If they are only sending 100,000 per batch it might take a while :D
Old 8th November 2009, 09:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
Just hit my inbox................. with pictures, a Rubber Duck and an Atlas. :D
Hmmm. Have you got one of the dream viewing contraptions as seen on Harry Potter?

Let you know what is afoot after the event.
Old 8th November 2009, 10:17 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Nice job on the first release

My two pence.

You may want to reconsider labeling the translations as "certified". IMHO. When I think certified I think without a doubt correct. However, it states that there will be no refunds if the translations are inaccurate and that parties should basically confirm the translations elsewhere. Somewhat contradictory.

I think either a guarantee that the translations are correct or a short term return policy would work nicely. If you don't want to guarantee the translations a short term return policy would allow buyers a brief period of time to conduct some due diligence. If you want someone to buy on impulse they do not have time for due diligence.

Really not trying to be a pain...as I expressed in an email I think this newsletter is a great idea.
Old 8th November 2009, 10:24 PM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

The letter will be reaching many new to IDN I think a "brief" explanation of what they are and what they can do for investors etc. Straight in to a sales pitch seems a little heavy for the first edition but a great concept.

Agree with "certified" - some say I should be. :D

Wish you all success.
Old 8th November 2009, 10:32 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
Nice job on the first release

My two pence.

You may want to reconsider labeling the translations as "certified". IMHO. When I think certified I think without a doubt correct. However, it states that there will be no refunds if the translations are inaccurate and that parties should basically confirm the translations elsewhere. Somewhat contradictory.

I think either a guarantee that the translations are correct or a short term return policy would work nicely. If you don't want to guarantee the translations a short term return policy would allow buyers a brief period of time to conduct some due diligence. If you want someone to buy on impulse they do not have time for due diligence.

Really not trying to be a pain...as I expressed in an email I think this newsletter is a great idea.
Not a pain at all. All feedback is appreciated.

The thing with the guarantee.. it's not that we have the slightest lack of confidence in translations, these are genuine native speakers on the ground in their respective countries we are working with.. it's that there are other moving parts to consider as well.. a simple mistake with copy/paste is all it will take no matter how many checks and balances you have in place - so nothing can ever be 100% guaranteed. If I was running an ascii Newsletter it would have the same wording for the same reasons.

But there is a big difference here between someone trawling through a ton of stuff on forums whereby there are a good number of mis-translations (we've all seen them happen) and a service that states the translations are solid, even if we have to advise that buyers should do their own due-diligence.

And besides, in any purchase scenario, you should do your due-diligence - always.

With regards the guarantee you spoke of.. if a buyer wants to impulse "buy", they can - they have 72 hrs to close after that.. if their due-diligence comes up with something suggesting they shouldn't complete, then they simply don't close the deal.

I think we have all the bases covered.
Old 8th November 2009, 10:35 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
The letter will be reaching many new to IDN I think a "brief" explanation of what they are and what they can do for investors etc. Straight in to a sales pitch seems a little heavy for the first edition but a great concept...
To receive the newsletter they had to sign-up from the website, and there's info along the lines there, that you suggest, translated into multiple languages just like the newsletter itself
Old 8th November 2009, 10:58 PM

dnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dnnames

Got the newsletter from my spam box.. silly me.

I think there is a few too many geos and too few keyword domains. They are great geos though, mind you.

Also a suggestion for geos is maybe there is also some additional information such as population statistics gdp, how big the city/province is in relation to the country it is in etc. new IDN domainers may not know how to research such information or know of the significance of each city.

I expect some sales there, at least a few with reasonable prices.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:08 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see the IDNs for sale. Will you also post IDN articles?
Old 8th November 2009, 11:08 PM

idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Not a pain at all. All feedback is appreciated.

The thing with the guarantee.. it's not that we have the slightest lack of confidence in translations, these are genuine native speakers on the ground in their respective countries we are working with.. it's that there are other moving parts to consider as well.. a simple mistake with copy/paste is all it will take no matter how many checks and balances you have in place - so nothing can ever be 100% guaranteed. If I was running an ascii Newsletter it would have the same wording for the same reasons.

But there is a big difference here between someone trawling through a ton of stuff on forums whereby there are a good number of mis-translations (we've all seen them happen) and a service that states the translations are solid, even if we have to advise that buyers should do their own due-diligence.

And besides, in any purchase scenario, you should do your due-diligence - always.

With regards the guarantee you spoke of.. if a buyer wants to impulse "buy", they can - they have 72 hrs to close after that.. if their due-diligence comes up with something suggesting they shouldn't complete, then they simply don't close the deal.

I think we have all the bases covered.

I hear ya. I guess there is no contracts signed so a 72 hour closing is quite fair. My point was if I happily bought hotels.com in Japanese for 50K on impulse and it ended being alpha.com I would not be a happy camper.

Realistically, a copy and paste mistake may happen less than 1% of the time. It may just be best to stand behind your certified listing and suck it up if a mistake happens on your end. What keeps me from biting on some deals I stumble on regardless of how much due diligence I do (short of hiring a translator with internet experience) is verifying the accuracy of translation and usage. Especially when we are talking fairly significant price tags. To me value is tremendously added if that leg work is done for me beforehand and it is stamped with a guarantee. This is especially true when investing in a space with limited revenue or traffic to justify what may appear to be an inflated asking price.
Old 8th November 2009, 11:22 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
..What keeps me from biting on some deals I stumble on regardless of how much due diligence I do (short of hiring a translator with internet experience) is verifying the accuracy of translation and usage...
all good comments, thanks and I'm sure it will keep evolving.

To your point about accuracy and leg work.. we've tried to address that by including comments regarding whether the term can stand alone (#1 importance for Russian domains as you know), and that the term is the better way to write and that it's in common everyday use. We also get provided with context, and quote it where necessary, so for example we can see the difference between "interest" (payment for the use of money) and "interest" (have an interest in something)
Old 8th November 2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
all good comments, thanks and I'm sure it will keep evolving.

To your point about accuracy and leg work.. we've tried to address that by including comments regarding whether the term can stand alone (#1 importance for Russian domains as you know), and that the term is the better way to write and that it's in common everyday use. We also get provided with context, and quote it where necessary, so for example we can see the difference between "interest" (payment for the use of money) and "interest" (have an interest in something)
Makes sense. I am sure it will keep evolving. Afterall, this is only volume 1 of a potential series that could completely dwarf harry potter and his crew. I just figured I'd address some thoughts publicly that others inside and more importantly outside of this forum might have been thinking. Keep working on idnowner and get him to list some of those precious gems for something short of xxx,xxx. ugh...
Old 9th November 2009, 12:37 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Thanks guys! Great work!
Old 9th November 2009, 02:10 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Nice job guys ..