IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2009, 07:39 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point
ElliotsBlog.com: IDNs in the Spotlight

I've been attending T.R.A.F.F.I.C. and domain conferences with the hopes of getting the IDN space some much deserved attention. Thanks to Elliot's openmindedness about IDNs, we wrote a guest post about the industry, as this attention has been all too rare, enjoy...

http://www.elliotsblog.com/why-idns-...nvestors-53923
Old 27th October 2009, 07:43 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ElliotsBlog.com: IDNs in the Spotlight

BTW - as IDN bashers are guaranteed to surface soon in the comments, any educated comments supportive of the IDN industry would be appreciated.
Old 27th October 2009, 07:56 PM

tee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished road

Very nice, great exposure. Way to go guys!
Old 27th October 2009, 08:50 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Nice work guys!
Old 27th October 2009, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Well, pretty soon some redneck moron will pipe up and complain that giving foreigners their own domains will break the intertoobs and everyone wants to read stuff in English.

Once that happens, post a link to this...

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...five_years.php

"Five years from now the internet will be dominated by Chinese-language content"

Google CEO Eric Schmidt, October 2009.
Old 28th October 2009, 01:56 AM

tee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
everyone wants to read stuff in English.
Heard a similar comment from a guy here in the middle of bunkinville a few days ago. This shut him up, Population of North America (I felt obligated to remind him that Tennessee was in North America, probably pissed him off) is 340,831,831. Internet Users in China 338,000,000 and they only have Internet penetration of around 25%. I bet a few of those 338 million would like to read something in Chinese.

I think as an American either you get it or you never will (these are ones that want to know why they had to take history in High School and College).

sorry for the rant sprewellpj

internetworldstats.com

Last edited by tee1; 28th October 2009 at 02:03 AM..
Old 28th October 2009, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Yeah. They're same same people that fall for the "they hate us for our freedoms" bullshit.
Old 28th October 2009, 04:23 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah. They're same same people that fall for the "they hate us for our freedoms" bullshit.
They don't? Damn it and all this time I thought... Friggin' Bush!
Old 28th October 2009, 04:57 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

@Drewbert
Yeah - I agree that the majority of content will eventually be in Chinese.

There was an interesting discussion I had with one friend on scientific papers, which is a good basis for this point.
As an example... at the moment Chinese Universities graduate 1000 scientists to one in the USA (thats a large imbalance in scientific research potential, in the future).
At the moment these scientists have been struggling away (reading) and publishing in English, but once the majority of the Scientific community is speaking Chinese, we can see the day when the tables will turn and it will be the English scientists who will have to struggle away and translate Chinese research to English.

So this will not just be social media content, as I and others see it (it will be across the board).

Interesting food for thought!

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 28th October 2009, 08:29 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
Heard a similar comment from a guy here in the middle of bunkinville a few days ago. This shut him up, Population of North America (I felt obligated to remind him that Tennessee was in North America, probably pissed him off) is 340,831,831. Internet Users in China 338,000,000 and they only have Internet penetration of around 25%. I bet a few of those 338 million would like to read something in Chinese.

I think as an American either you get it or you never will (these are ones that want to know why they had to take history in High School and College).

sorry for the rant sprewellpj

internetworldstats.com
I think if you get it, you'll have to attribute it to being some kind of Genetic Thowback like you often find in Europe and elsewhere. Human, but without the Big Mac Gene...... Well sort of human minus about 50lbs. You know the type.
Old 28th October 2009, 01:02 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Nice job everyone....just going to take a few blockbuster sales at DNJournal to spin heads.
Old 28th October 2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Nice job everyone....just going to take a few blockbuster sales at DNJournal to spin heads.
Agreed. And it looks like the sales should start coming soon.

Its only been 1 day since our IDNNewsletter.com launch and we've already been flooded with potential buyer subscriptions and with submissions of fairly priced premium IDNs.

Not a bad start.
Old 28th October 2009, 04:25 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Fake or real ones?! I am joking, but... do you believe 100% of the dnjournal reports are real sales, or some are just hype to raise the bar on following sales?!
Old 28th October 2009, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Fake or real ones?! I am joking, but... do you believe 100% of the dnjournal reports are real sales, or some are just hype to raise the bar on following sales?!
I think Ron does his best, but it is a hard job, and I think sometimes he gets a bit too close to some of the operators.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Yes. Overall it's pretty accurate, but he does fall for the domainegomaniacs
Old 28th October 2009, 10:16 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Even the Wall Street Journal article's comments are pretty uninformed.

Old 30th October 2009, 03:21 PM

If you've been following the comments in the ElliotsBlog IDN post, the following was the funniest exchange:
Victor: One of the best ccTLD’s is Dot FM. Easy to remember and one can use it for fm radio station, farmers market, family matters, future markets, and so on…….
----
Aaron: @Victor – Disagree. Dot FM is not one of the best ccTLDs, it is definitely in a different league than Dot DE for instance.

I do not know of many who are rushing to buy Dot FM because they think it refers to “farmers market” and “family matters” as you suggested.
Old 30th October 2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprewellpj View Post
Victor: One of the best ccTLD’s is Dot FM. Easy to remember and one can use it for fm radio station, farmers market, family matters, future markets, and so on…….
In Victor's case it stand for FUCKING MORON.
Old 30th October 2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Even the Wall Street Journal article's comments are pretty uninformed.
Even?

The Wall Street Journal been pretty uninformed about most things for years.

Along with most newspapers who are basically corporate and/or government shills.
Old 30th October 2009, 04:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Even?

The Wall Street Journal been pretty uninformed about most things for years.

Along with most newspapers who are basically corporate and/or government shills.
Yup, but President Hu doesn't like to embarrass President Obama by keep dragging up "Freedom of the Press" and other Human Rights issues.