IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2009, 02:22 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
IDN gTLD fast track

IDNG Working Group Charter
1. Purpose
To meet community demand and user expectations for IDN TLDs, as well as to address the potentially significant time difference between the introduction of new IDN ccTLDs and new IDN gTLDs, methods to coordinate the timing of the implementation of new IDN TLDs are being considered. While the timing of the introduction of IDN TLDs into the root is of concern, neither the full New gTLD process nor the IDN ccTLD Fast Track implementation, evaluation and associated schedules should be delayed.
The purpose of the IDN gTLD Fast Track Working Group (IDNG WG) is to develop and report on feasible methods, if any, to coordinate and minimize the time difference of the introduction of new IDN ccTLDs and new IDN gTLDs to the root, to within a reasonable time frame. One of the possibilities being the introduction of an IDN gTLD Fast Track.

Draft 3.1 http://gnso.icann.org/files/gnso/dra...er-16jul09.pdf

Last edited by 555; 28th October 2009 at 02:47 PM..
Old 28th October 2009, 02:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN gTLD fast track

This is where the main Registeries push for the delegation of Aliases to the existing gTLDs in main languages. Verisign is going to make sure they get their IDN.IDN versions of dot IDN.Com before the general release of New gTLD, which they will because the principle that only they are entitled has effectively already been established. The will get these, but only condition that they are bundled with the existing domains.

Crack the Champagne, we are Home and Dry.
Old 28th October 2009, 03:32 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

From yesterday's transcript: http://sel.icann.org/node/6708

The GNSO consistently over the -- I don't know how long, last year
or two -- has taken a position that gTLD IDNs should be introduced at
the same time as ccTLD IDNs, or at least minimize the gap, so that
those who have generic top level domains can experience a full IDN
experience. And the GNSO has, I think, pretty much been unanimous in
our support for that, but one thing that's very helpful is for that
message to come from people like yourself, and not just from us.
Thank you very much. Very important comment.

Edmon?

>>EDMON CHUNG: Yeah. Just adding to that comment, I think it's
very important. I think -- I forgot whether it was Mike -- mentioned
-- somebody mentioned about priorities about the council's work. I
think we -- I think it's -- it's '-- you know, the time is ripe for
us to spend a little bit more time on IDNs and IDN gTLDs. I'm not
saying that in the past, we have not. I'm just saying that there is -
- with the -- with the public relations that ICANN has done on the
IDN ccTLD fast track, I have in the last couple of days actually
received an abundant amount of e-mails asking about IDN gTLDs, and
there is a certain expectation from the community that when IDN
ccTLDs are there, IDN gTLDs should be there as well.

So I think there's -- there's room for work. There's room for
potential work here, you know, such that we could see that happen as
soon as possible.
Old 28th October 2009, 04:41 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
.... Verisign is going to make sure they get their IDN.IDN versions of dot IDN.Com ....

IDN.Com = IDN.公司 (for Chinese)

Still possible!

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 28th October 2009, 04:48 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant View Post
IDN.Com = IDN.公司 (for Chinese)

Still possible!
It will either be that or stalemate, but it is not something that keeps me awake nights.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Yep.

Finally the separation of the new gTLD's and IDN-equivs-for-existing-TLD's (please someone come up for shorter description) is going to occur.

The new gTLD process is going to be a quagmire thanks to the IP constituency.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:39 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

I really suspect that IDN.Com = IDN.公司 (for Chinese) = style mate!
Why, as the first users of .公司 were the Chinese.... (of course I could be wrong).

But, I just hope that .com holders (and if need be .biz register holders) compromise and get IDN.IDN done ASAP, even if it ends up being "communication" or a less preferred extension in Chinese... as at end of the day - those that know .com and think it is great, will know whatever alias in Chinese is applied to it (and the longer the wait, the less interest or power there will be in .com verse ccTLD iDN.IDN i.e. waiting and fighting in my mind = losing).

Cheers, Asiaplay
Old 28th October 2009, 10:26 PM

sbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished road

I have never seen stats for how many

IDN.公司.cn

were registered.....

or

originally at idn.com.cn then converted internally by CNNIC to 2nd level IDN.

CNNIC wants IDN.IDN to be global immediately, because 300 million
chinese in the diaspora want it....and businessmen overseas want it for
staff use to be seamless.

my prediction is Verisign wins because it is a TLD issue..
uses the confusingly similar standard, and CNNIC caves...then
grandfathers those

IDN.公司.cn to be actual 3rd level domains....

you don't like it....don't renew it...

how else can explain, the fact that Verisign is helping JPRS and CNNIC with
DNAME type help....

CNNIC and JPRS both have said, they do not want to do 'A' record manual management...
Old 28th October 2009, 10:32 PM
Veteran

I think it is pretty clear that CNNIC cannot have it as a TLD. However, without their blessing it will be a long hard fight for Verisign, because whilst arguable confusing similar it is not equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
I have never seen stats for how many

IDN.公司.cn

were registered.....

or

originally at idn.com.cn then converted internally by CNNIC to 2nd level IDN.

CNNIC wants IDN.IDN to be global immediately, because 300 million
chinese in the diaspora want it....and businessmen overseas want it for
staff use to be seamless.

grandfathers those

IDN.公司.cn to be actual 3rd level domains....

you don't like it....don't renew it...

how else can explain, the fact that Verisign is helping JPRS and CNNIC with
DNAME type help....

CNNIC and JPRS both have said, they do not want to do 'A' record manual management...
Old 29th October 2009, 03:15 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay View Post
I really suspect that IDN.Com = IDN.公司 (for Chinese) = style mate!
Why, as the first users of .公司 were the Chinese.... (of course I could be wrong).
You are indeed wrong on this (or we all hope you are wrong ).

Long before CNNIC set up .公司 domain, the Chinese IT community already used "公司" to refer to COM and "网络" to refer to NET. If you dig up some papers or articles published before 2000, you will find how the Chinese interpreted COM and NET and other top level domains:

Internet最初是在美国发源的,因此最早的域名并无国家标识,人们按用途把它们分为几个大类,它们分别以不同的后缀结尾:

.com(用于商业公司);
.net(用于网络服务);
.org(用于组织协会等);
.gov(用于政府部门);
.edu(用于教育机构);
.mil(用于军事领域);
.int(用于国际组织)。

* COM is to be used by "Company" in commerce.

Now the question: If CNNIC knew ".公司" was refered to .COM, why would CNNIC set up .公司 domain to infringe on .COM's mark?

Two answers I can think of:

1. At that time, CNNIC thought that "all your Chinese characters belong to us" and VeriSign (or Networksolutions) was supposed not allowed to sell Chinese IDN.com. CNNIC later realized they were wrong because Chinese characters belong to the "people using Chinese language or characters" all over the world.

2. The concept of Trademark law was not popular among the Chinese officials. It all has changed now.

* I don't think CNNIC dare to attempt to hijack Dot Com's "mark" in court. If they do, they will lose even in Chinese court.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 29th October 2009 at 03:26 AM..
Old 29th October 2009, 03:34 AM

tee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
(and if need be .biz register holders) compromise and get IDN.IDN done ASAP Cheers, Asiaplay
Don't tease me :D
Old 29th October 2009, 05:09 AM

sbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished road

so Verisign needs to go the phonetic route with character selection?

and make something up ;that sounds like com in Chinese..

a 'ke' / ka ....ma / mu ......

google with the 'gu ge" routine.....

fine.....Mozilla/Opera/Safari will support it quickly enough...

but seeing GNSO seeing the need for IDN gtld variants of current tld's

broken away from the brand new applicants is refreshing
Old 29th October 2009, 05:10 AM

@Gaint
I really doubt Verisign has or would now be able to get a "mark" for these in China (probably these are words which are not allowed to be trademarked alone even possibly - not sure as the China database online search crashes when I tried to search for them) - but you raise a good point about first use (who actually has precedence!).

The only consideration I can see to this is that Verisign as far as I know, have never tied these character choices to .com or .net themselves ever, nor commercially ever sold them, whereas CNNIC (and others such as HKIRC) have for a long time commercially sold domains and IDNs that use these characters as 2nd level and which fall outside those offered or controlled by Verisign (and I guess will have some legal issues if they, can't use it, since many people do own them already).
This makes me think that within China, the Chinese Govt. would probably side with CNNIC if they choose to continue to use it (or have any legal issues on dropping the use of it) and the same for any court case involving HKIRC for Hong Kong.

Basically it is a potentially a very messy case and CNNIC only needs these IDNs to resolve within China's boarders anyway (as they are 2nd level) and HKIRC only to resolve in Hong Kong - so this is very much a China issue more than an international one perhaps.

Then the next question, as we all know becomes one of, are those characters "confusing similar" and therefore, should they be allowed as a gTLD, for that reason (I would say that they could be considered confusingly similar - so there lies the root of the problem).

I personally wouldn't want to have to be the one to decide on this and do not envy anyone involved in that process.
But at the same time, it is issues like this that I think is partly the reason that ccTLD IDN.IDN was wisely separated from gTLD IDN.IDN (as ccTLD clearly use country names as their extension).

But all this aside, the point is that .com and .net need to go IDN.IDN quickly and any long winded battle would result in them losing ground, if that also stops them going IDN.IDN.
Also, it makes me wonder what Verisign thinks they should use / wants to use as IDN characters/text for their .com and .net extensions - I haven't seen anything clearly on this from them myself (even though we have all come up with ideas over the years, our thoughts at the end of the day, could be different than the approach they want to take) - anyone seen a document issued by Verisign on the characters they want to use for IDN.IDN?

@Tee1
Hehe - yeah - no one is claiming that the characters we all think, that they should be using are in conflict with anyone else ("business" seems to be theirs)... so smoother process for .biz perhaps.
I just wonder how fast they will wake up and go for gTLD IDN.IDN

If I was them, I would charge ahead for IDN.IDN, as the "business" connotation would I think, give them a strong presence in China.
Funny really... the other day when looking at my IDN list, my business partner asked me what .biz was (yes, I perhaps have too many .biz still - lol) - as he had never seen a domain use one before and had no idea what it was! (However domain investors there, of course do know about them and a lot of Chinese based in China are the owners of IDN.biz - just unfortunately they seem to be almost all parked or held only and not developed).
The downside of .biz of course, as the anchor domain / IDN of one's business, is they are not treated equal to some other gTLD or ccTLD by search engines (e.g. Google) - although I have never really understood this stance and why really (and I guess if they got wide use as IDN.IDN in Chinese, then Google might have to change this position).

Really just discussion guys, as I don't know what those with potential claims have planned behind the scenes, but at the same time, I don't see Verisign’s claim to these as being clear-cut or perhaps an easy road ahead (or CNNIC's option to just drop use, even if they ever even thought to, as legally clear-cut either).

Cheers all, Asiaplay

PS: by the way, incase anyone wondered... I don't own even one single level 2 domain name or IDN at present (as personally think level 2 is a waste of time and is not treated equal in any way by search engines or internet users, when compared to either a ccTLD or gTLD).
Old 29th October 2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
... broken away from the brand new applicants is refreshing
Totally agree - this is a very wise, logical move and means existing gTLD (rightly and fairly so, I feel) get IDN.IDN sorted out faster... is great news really.

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 29th October 2009, 06:43 AM
Premium User

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
(as personally think level 2 is a waste of time and is not treated equal in any way by search engines or internet users, when compared to either a ccTLD or gTLD).
What about .com.br? Who owns .com.br? http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=c...AYc4P6ies4lWfA
Old 29th October 2009, 08:01 AM

Umm - interesting point...

I can't see .com.br or .net.br using any IDN alias within the 2nd level extension... so I guess that means it will not be an IDN.IDN precedence call (Brazil has not used any IDN sub-domain extension yet - if I understand correctly???)...

But raises a good point really, should Verisign have sat by and let people offer 2nd level domains or IDNs using their gTLD extension within them
(I guess they decided it was helpful to their brand letting others do this or didn't have any power to stop them legally perhaps?).

Maybe you are right also in what I guess you are hinting at being a final outcome - the compromise will be they are both allowed to use any IDN version that Verisign comes up with and chooses to use as the gTLD (and what has been done for ascii 2nd level domains will be carried on with IDN.IDN gTLD and IDN.IDN.IDN ccTLD in the cases where countries choose to offer this).
i.e. maybe the ccTLD holders using IDN sub-domains will also be happy if Verisign uses the same for a gTLD and vice versa (as this keeps things more logical for them both as well).

This is definitely possible as well as a logical compromise (really then is win-win for all involved and keeps consistency with the approach which exists for ascii as well)

Cheers, Asiaplay
Old 30th October 2009, 06:07 PM

tintin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But, I just hope that .com holders (and if need be .biz register holders) compromise and get IDN.IDN done ASAP, even if it ends up being "communication" or a less preferred extension in Chinese... as at end of the day - those that know .com and think it is great, will know whatever alias in Chinese is applied to it (and the longer the wait, the less interest or power there will be in .com verse ccTLD iDN.IDN i.e. waiting and fighting in my mind = losing).

Cheers, Asiaplay
ignore my ignorance, but is idn.idn registrations open, or in the pipeline (as i know of now),are there any restriction of registrations, any preference to idn.com registrants,

regards
Old 30th October 2009, 06:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
ignore my ignorance, but is idn.idn registrations open, or in the pipeline (as i know of now),are there any restriction of registrations, any preference to idn.com registrants,

regards
Yes, and no. The Chinese extensions .cn, .tw and .hk are all bundled with the ASCII version, so yes those are open for registration. It is also pretty likely that .jp and .in will follow a similar pattern. We know that .ru will not grandfather over to .rf, so in Russia the answer is no. Elsewhere, there is little or no information, but I believe most will go for the bundling option, which will mean that those opportunities that are out there now are the ones you are going to get. It is a case of pays your money and you takes your chance.

It would also seem likely that bundles will become available to the dot com owners at some point in time, but it is not yet cast in stone. However, those that talk about Real IDN are largely talking out of their backsides.
Old 30th October 2009, 11:44 PM
Premium User

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
IDNG Working Group Charter
1. Purpose
To meet community demand and user expectations for IDN TLDs, as well as to address the potentially significant time difference between the introduction of new IDN ccTLDs and new IDN gTLDs, methods to coordinate the timing of the implementation of new IDN TLDs are being considered. While the timing of the introduction of IDN TLDs into the root is of concern, neither the full New gTLD process nor the IDN ccTLD Fast Track implementation, evaluation and associated schedules should be delayed.
The purpose of the IDN gTLD Fast Track Working Group (IDNG WG) is to develop and report on feasible methods, if any, to coordinate and minimize the time difference of the introduction of new IDN ccTLDs and new IDN gTLDs to the root, to within a reasonable time frame. One of the possibilities being the introduction of an IDN gTLD Fast Track.

Draft 3.1 http://gnso.icann.org/files/gnso/dra...er-16jul09.pdf
Also from the end of the same document:

The GNSO Council, in its comments in Response to the ccNSO-GAC Issues Report on IDN Issues (http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/ccnso-g...se-20feb08.pdf), as well as in its comments on the IDNC WG Final Report (http://gnso.icann.org/issues/idn-tld...rt-14aug08.pdf) expressed that “the introduction of IDN gTLDs or IDN ccTLDs should not be delayed because of lack of readiness of one category, but if they are not introduced at the same time, steps should be taken so that neither category is advantaged or disadvantaged, and procedures should be developed to avoid possible conflicts.”

Further, the GNSO Council made a resolution in January 2009 to assert that “the GNSO Council strongly believes that neither the New gTLD or ccTLD fast track process should result in IDN TLDs in the root before the other unless both the GNSO and ccNSO so agree.”
Old 31st October 2009, 03:15 AM

JamesZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

grandfathers those
ccTLD registries like CNNIC and Verisign have fought this for years. What Verisign has done in the past is preventing IDN ccTLD from going to fast track along. They want IDN ccTLD to carry IDN gTLD. However, it seems Verisign has lost this battle. Why CNNIC does not want IDN gTLD to go fast track with IDN ccTLD? Because China wants to control IDN gTLD, too. Maybe even all Chinese gTLD.

The fight will continue, and Verisign may eventually lose the IDN war.

Verisign cannot win the war because it is just a company who is against the interest of many governments. Verisign has already gained the monopoly by controlling the strongest .com TLD. No foreign governments, especially Russian and China, want more of their internet controlled by an American based company.

.com is .com. Promoting the IDN version of .com is like rebranding. It only hurts .com.