IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2009, 08:21 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Khaled Fattal to ICANN CEO / Oct 15

Is ICANN listening to any of this? (rhetorical question).
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/...15oct09-en.pdf
Old 1st November 2009, 10:51 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: Khaled Fattal to ICANN CEO / Oct 15

They'll listen when Verisign speaks. Verisign needs to play offense now. They can't afford to sit and let country codes make it first in the IDN.IDN namespace.

Dnaming will solve having to have an extension go through a verification process that has to be approved by Icann. It's the only way Verisign can hold a firm grip on the .com namespace and not lose out on native people registering only their country IDN.IDN when the flood-doors open Nov 16.

I myself am still shocked that Verisign hasn't sent a press release discussing in detail how they plan to acheive this. Or maybe they are silently waiting for Dec. 21, 2012.
Old 1st November 2009, 11:47 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure he's a fine person but since he is the CEO of websynergies.com who charge £3640 for an in-office consultation about the launch of new gTLDs, I'd expect him to be pissed about delays

I'm also rather suspicious he highlighted .gay rather than any other potential new gTLD as a example of why the focus should be on new IDN gTLDs not new ASCII gTLDs. I mean, I happen to agree with him on the principle, just rather homophobic-smelling for him to pick on that particular community...
Old 2nd November 2009, 07:04 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
They'll listen when Verisign speaks. Verisign needs to play offense now. They can't afford to sit and let country codes make it first in the IDN.IDN namespace.

Dnaming will solve having to have an extension go through a verification process that has to be approved by Icann. It's the only way Verisign can hold a firm grip on the .com namespace and not lose out on native people registering only their country IDN.IDN when the flood-doors open Nov 16.

I myself am still shocked that Verisign hasn't sent a press release discussing in detail how they plan to acheive this. Or maybe they are silently waiting for Dec. 21, 2012.
Wrong. Verisign has been keeping quite because they know the only thing that can sink them is opening their big mouth. There has always been a risk that the natives wouldn't want them walking all over their turf, but they understood the IP position from the start and decided that they would deny the opposition a focus by staying quiet.

This really is quite sad, because not only can IDN not be considered separately but try to reorganize constituencies at this time will only kick IDN gTLDs further into the long grass, and for that reason alone it cannot happen. More importantly, however, is that introduction of IDN gTLDs cannot be considered separately. Taking an IDN in Arabic will effectively reserve the English equivalent an vis-versa. No Arabic TLD is going to get through the process without an English equivalent because those trying to discuss it just would not be able to function without such an equivalent. We do it all the time. We use the English translation to tell people what it means, ICANN is going to do exactly the same, because even if they were all foreigners they are going to be different foreigners.

This is, however, quite positive because it will make the case for a Fast Track for gTLD even stronger, even if the outcome is not what Khalid envisages.
Old 2nd November 2009, 08:23 PM

sbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished roadsbe18 is on a distinguished road

I won't repeat what I posted over on IDNowners thread...

RD is right that Verisign has been quiet for a good reason...until now....

But the Good /Bad / Ugly stand off.....Great Eastwood spaghetti western...
but I digress....

ICANN.....Verisign....CNNIC...

Lazy/ Monopolistic / Autocrats.....

now face a 4th entrant.........the right to lefters ......500 million + ....

Cultural contempt for Arabic/urdu/farsi/hebrew for 5 to 9 years is now
provable with this IDN for existing gtld's.

The IDN dot gongsi dot cn is a sideshow to this explosion.

26 Arabic speaking nations with 3G mobile web browsing...and IDN.IDN is locked up by the oligarchies ??????????

The Saudis. Emirates, Iranians, and Pakistanis.......have NO IDEA the explosion of IDN.IDN in dot com/net will occur when Verisign pushes this through.

The Verisign/CNNIC problem is an issue of how to screw over 100K of stupid domainers or to forklift the clean/clear ones over to Verisign for $5 bucks to get the issue resolved in 3 to 6 months etc...