IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2006, 10:55 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Why is it the more you own the harder it is to sell?

Lately I just got up to close to 500 IDN Domains & having a really difficult time choosing anything to sell. Even dot nets.
I noticed that also as Edwins vacuuming fingers started to bulk into more than 1000 he stopped listing single sales.

It's getting hard for me to let anything go...
I also think the number of no reserve auctions have gone down a bit for the last week.

I'm not saying there aren't good buys out there but members with large portfolios are you finding it hard to list individual domains?

Unexpectedly too I'm seeing abit more sales over here now than on DNF anyone else notice this?
Old 28th April 2006, 11:12 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is it the more you own the harder it is to sell?

There are a number of psychological issues that seem to kick in once a seller's portfolio grows.

A) The "they can't ALL be good" perception problem: the overall size of the portfolio negatively impacts the value of individual domains within it for buyers aware of the portfolio's size. For example (and all of this is about psychology, not "reality" - though in domain deals that's often the same thing) it can be harder to convince somebody of the value of a domain when you have 1,000 more rather than 10 more. The massive quantity hints at less "discriminating" tastes.

B) The "wider fishing net" issue aka the "buy more lottery tickets" theory - the more domains you have, the more it feels like somebody is bound to want ONE of them - perhaps even an elusive end-user with deep pockets.

C) The "disproportional devaluation" problem - if you have 1,000 domains and sell one for $1,000 for example, does it feel like you've just reduced the overall value of your portfolio by more than $1,000? Was the domain part of a set or theme, for instance?

D) The "which to winnow" dilemma - when you have a thousand domains, and the market hasn't REALLY established baseline values yet, how do you choose which ones to let go so that the others can live (or so that you can register more, renew more or pocket more spending money)?

E) The "I can't be bothered" issue - selling 1 domain if you have 1,000 will still leave you with 999 names potentially to sell/generate revenue for. So will the reward from selling that 1 domain reward you enough for making a special effort to dispose of just 0.1% of your portfolio?

All of the above and more probably contribute to the problem - it's unlikely to be a single, simple thing that you can put your finger on.

Last edited by Edwin; 28th April 2006 at 11:15 AM..
Old 28th April 2006, 11:38 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

You two need help.

You have an emotional barrier that you need to breakthrough.

I suggest selling a good name cheaply as therapy.

If I can be of any assistance...
Old 28th April 2006, 11:47 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all about prudence.

Like stocks investment, when the stock rises, you sell some, and keep some, and if it rises a bit more, you sell another lot, and then get to keep the rest for free.

All investments involve risk management.
Old 28th April 2006, 12:42 PM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Unexpectedly too I'm seeing abit more sales over here now than on DNF anyone else notice this?

Yes, I've notice this too.

I think that most domainer knows that this forum was for IDNers now...
Old 28th April 2006, 12:47 PM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had ONE decent IDN to sell. I'd be happy!

Instead I've got 250 so-so's, and I'd be lucky to sell one I reckon.

So stop gloating
Old 28th April 2006, 01:19 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
There are a number of psychological issues that seem to kick in once a seller's portfolio grows.

A) The "they can't ALL be good" perception problem: the overall size of the portfolio negatively impacts the value of individual domains within it for buyers aware of the portfolio's size. For example (and all of this is about psychology, not "reality" - though in domain deals that's often the same thing) it can be harder to convince somebody of the value of a domain when you have 1,000 more rather than 10 more. The massive quantity hints at less "discriminating" tastes.

B) The "wider fishing net" issue aka the "buy more lottery tickets" theory - the more domains you have, the more it feels like somebody is bound to want ONE of them - perhaps even an elusive end-user with deep pockets.

C) The "disproportional devaluation" problem - if you have 1,000 domains and sell one for $1,000 for example, does it feel like you've just reduced the overall value of your portfolio by more than $1,000? Was the domain part of a set or theme, for instance?

D) The "which to winnow" dilemma - when you have a thousand domains, and the market hasn't REALLY established baseline values yet, how do you choose which ones to let go so that the others can live (or so that you can register more, renew more or pocket more spending money)?

E) The "I can't be bothered" issue - selling 1 domain if you have 1,000 will still leave you with 999 names potentially to sell/generate revenue for. So will the reward from selling that 1 domain reward you enough for making a special effort to dispose of just 0.1% of your portfolio?

All of the above and more probably contribute to the problem - it's unlikely to be a single, simple thing that you can put your finger on.
Edwin, very interesting theory. Definitely u got years of domainging to see so many aspects of it.

DNForum is definitily getting less sales, but on the other hand, why to post something twice? The same guys interested in IDNs there are the same guys here. So whats the point to move back and forth? Keep IDNs in here.
Old 28th April 2006, 01:29 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
Edwin, very interesting theory. Definitely u got years of domainging to see so many aspects of it.

DNForum is definitily getting less sales, but on the other hand, why to post something twice? The same guys interested in IDNs there are the same guys here. So whats the point to move back and forth? Keep IDNs in here.

One reason why DNF is getting less sales is the quality of names posted there has declined tremendously. Many people are out there fishing, especially so for chinese names - registering 2nd rated names and then putting them out for sale for a grand.

As time goes by, buyers get smarter. Also, the few names that are worth buying are snapped up within 2-3 weeks after the subforums were created.

When you buy a chinese name, be aware that $1 is equivalent to 8 yuan. So the next time you pay $2000 for a domain, consider yourself paying $16,000 instead. It's definitely not easy to get used to it, when i'm in small cities in China, i can hardly get used to paying $3-4 a head for a 8-course seafood meal at a restaurant with 2 waitresses tending a table. And the 90 minutes back massage that costs $5 - this will be haven for our friends here in the 50s.

Last edited by touchring; 28th April 2006 at 01:42 PM..
Old 28th April 2006, 01:31 PM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
... why to post something twice? The same guys interested in IDNs there are the same guys here. So whats the point to move back and forth? Keep IDNs in here.
Good point.

Let's make Olney's site the premiere site for IDN sales, instead of making someone (boring ASCII domainers) else rich?
Old 28th April 2006, 01:33 PM
Semi-retired

Here's an idea to throw into the mix.

what about creating a sub-forum for trades.

example: I have this, I want this...
Old 28th April 2006, 01:41 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
Here's an idea to throw into the mix.

what about creating a sub-forum for trades.

example: I have this, I want this...
Yes, there is some mileage in this although most of this will be done PM.

I have done an all non cash deal on this Forum, involve names totalling about $40K!
This is a non trival matter as developers will be seeking names that are less interesting to those who are primarily interested in parking and vis-versa.
Old 28th April 2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
One reason why DNF is getting less sales is the quality of names posted there has declined tremendously. Many people are out there fishing, especially so for chinese names - registering 2nd rated names and then putting them out for sale for a grand.

As time goes by, buyers get smarter. Also, the few names that are worth buying are snapped up within 2-3 weeks after the subforums were created.

When you buy a chinese name, be aware that $1 is equivalent to 8 yuan. So the next time you pay $2000 for a domain, consider yourself paying $16,000 instead. It's definitely not easy to get used to it, when i'm in small cities in China, i can hardly get used to paying $3-4 a head for a 8-course seafood meal at a restaurant with 2 waitresses tending a table. And the 90 minutes back massage that costs $5 - this will be haven for our friends here in the 50s.
Oh Touchring, what a lovely prices u r talking. im moving to China!!! sayonara expensive meals!
Old 28th April 2006, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Not quite so. There is potentially a lot more money at DNFs amongst the old ASCII set. All we really need to do to get rich is convert a few of the bigger players. We won't ever get rich on IDNFs, buying and selling amongst ourselves. We need to interact with others who are only on the periphery at the moment. Where do you think new members come from? They don't just drop from the sky!
Old 28th April 2006, 02:06 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Not quite so. There is potentially a lot more money at DNFs amongst the old ASCII set. All we really need to do to get rich is convert a few of the bigger players. We won't ever get rich on IDNFs, buying and selling amongst ourselves. We need to interact with others who are only on the periphery at the moment. Where do you think new members come from? They don't just drop from the sky!
As usual I find myself agreeing with RD.

When I look at some of the crappy ascii names being traded for many 10's of 1000's of dollars - DNF is definately the next best place to do business other than the elusive end user.

Admin: we need a USP (unique selling point) - something to set a good seller from IDNF apart from the crowd of cowboys that often try it on at DNF.

Is there some sort of accreditation we can set up on this forum? maybe the name gets appraised first by 2 or 3 senior members etc..

... then when this sort of accreditation is posted along side the name on DNF, it will carry some weight, and stand above the cowboys and amatuers.

it will drive confidence, and add value.

IMO of course
Old 28th April 2006, 02:21 PM
Veteran

End Users are also one of the reason that we need to increase the linguistic and cultural diversity of the Forum. Most end users will ultimately be found in Asia, not East Coast USA.

Ok, perhaps many of the Chinese and Japanese guyst that are already here don't have Mega Bucks to spend, but if you encourage these guys, then those with the big bucks will eventually follow.
Old 28th April 2006, 02:38 PM

Well one way to avoid to get so much seeing crappy domains on sale is advising new members to stop digging some markets like the idn .com in japanese and chinese. I would say point new members to go for hindi or arab to find something more valuable in .com than keep digging into everyday worse and worse .com or .net domains on sale.

Anyway everyone is free to register what they want, but i think the japanese or chinese markets have been already over in good available .com domains for many weeks, but still people registering bad domains today to put them on sale tomorrow and what is worse calling them premium domains!
Old 28th April 2006, 02:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Well one way to avoid to get so much seeing crappy domains on sale is advising new members to stop digging some markets like the idn .com in japanese and chinese. I would say point new members to go for hindi or arab to find something more valuable in .com than keep digging into everyday worse and worse .com or .net domains on sale.

Anyway everyone is free to register what they want, but i think the japanese or chinese markets have been already over in good available .com domains for many weeks, but still people registering bad domains today to put them on sale tomorrow and what is worse calling them premium domains!
There is some truth in what you say. Having said that it you can combine a little Eastern Linguistic skills with some western domain savy I am sure there are still some very good names that are not nailed down.

Unfortunately, many of those hunting do not have these skills. Hindi and other Indian languages are not that easy, as translation resources are still scarce, but I agree with you, that that is where the real opportunies lie now. There are still some good possibilities in Russian and Arabic as well, because there is up until only limited interest from the indigenous peoples. Farsi and Urdu should not be neglected either.
Old 28th April 2006, 02:58 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

I found that one of my reasons not to sell is a difficulty to value any particular domain. When I look at my namedrive and silverclicks accounts, I scatch my head thinking why on earth this domain with no meaning and low OVT is consistently one of my top earners and that domain with 300K OVT and very clear meaning gets no traffic? Those minute differences in earnings per domain will be mutliplied by xxx times once IE7 is out. What will the picture look like then? Also, will DNAME change the picture and by how much? So, if I can't value my domain, I can't put a price on it - hard to let go.

Another reason is the buyer is probably a speculator such as myself. So, why would I let him have the domain? I could just pay a reg fee and have it parked as well.

Anybody thinks that way too?
Old 28th April 2006, 03:03 PM
Veteran

The picture will change significantly for most domains when speculator traffic is replaced by real traffic. Often speculators are just following you down a blind alley because they have made the same errors or judgement you have!
Old 28th April 2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I agree, Explorer. A $6.99 risk is nothing compared to the potential. It's a long term investment for me.