IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2009, 02:03 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Bangla may be used in net domain name

Quote:
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann) has agreed in principle to include Bangla as one of the languages to be used in top-level domain name, said a parliamentary committee yesterday.
"When I recently met Icann CEO Rod Beckstrom in Egypt he agreed in principle to include Bangla as one of the languages to be used for top-level domain names," Hasanul Haq Inu, chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on telecommunications ministry, told The Daily Star after a meeting of the committee.
Inu said he asked Beckstrom why Bangla, which is spoken by about 40 crore people, will not be included for using in domain names while Russian and Arabic scripts are going to be incorporated in the domain name system.
"Beckstrom finally agreed in principle and advised me to apply formally from government level," said Inu.
"The parliamentary standing committee today asked the ministry concerned to apply to Icann to this end and inform Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina about it," he added.
Inu expressed hope that Bangla will be one of the top-level domain name languages by the next International Mother Language Day.
Icann is a non-profit organisation that was created on September 18, 1998, in order to oversee a number of Internet-related tasks including assigning Internet Protocol (IP) addresses and managing generic and country code top-level domain name system.
The parliamentary standing committee meeting asked the telecommunications ministry to declare about 29 acres of land of Telephone and Shipa Sangstha as telecom and electronic machinery production zone.
It also asked the ministry not to apply the government purchase policy to purchase of machineries or equipment for the organisation.
"We have also set a timetable for Telephone and Shilpa Sangstha to turn the losing venture into a profitable one," Inu said.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=115255

Please note that International Mother Language Day is Feb. 21st in Bangladesh.

And an estimated 230 million speakers of Bengali according to Wikipedia.
Old 23rd November 2009, 02:22 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough
Re: Bangla may be used in net domain name

Thanks sarcle!
With nearly 230 million total speakers, Bengali is one of the most spoken languages (ranking fifth or sixth) in the world. Bengali is the primary language spoken in Bangladesh and is the second most spoken language in India.
Old 23rd November 2009, 02:28 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits View Post
Thanks sarcle!
With nearly 230 million total speakers, Bengali is one of the most spoken languages (ranking fifth or sixth) in the world. Bengali is the primary language spoken in Bangladesh and is the second most spoken language in India.
Bengali has truly been quite the under-rated and over-looked language it seems. It has huge potential.
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:24 AM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the info, I see that you have a Bengali name the portfolio
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
thanks for the info, I see that you have a Bengali name the portfolio
I decided to grab a few.
Old 23rd November 2009, 01:09 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
I decided to grab a few.
Did RD leave any behind? :p
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:11 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Did RD leave any behind? :p
RD left a few
@ Sarcle
here is one that would fit nicely with a couple you regged yesterday. :D
স্বাস্থ্য com health. com google results = 776,000

Bengali terms do have some nice google results and they are growing.
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:12 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Moi?
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Moi?
Hard to believe isn't it, it wasn't many but just a few laying around. You probably dropped those.

As the quote goes "Don't take them all"

Just noticed this on www.google.co.in, how long has bengali been a choice?
Google.co.in offered in: Hindi Bengali Telugu Marathi Tamil Gujarati Kannada Malayalam Punjabi
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:30 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hard to believe isn't it, it wasn't many but just a few laying around. You probably dropped those.

As the quote goes "Don't take them all"
We only have about 40 dot coms and few dot nets, but some of them quite good I think.
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
but some of them quite good I think.
Definitely agree. also you grabbed yours when bengali resources were tough to come by as well.
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:42 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

RD owns some single letters.
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
RD left a few
@ Sarcle
here is one that would fit nicely with a couple you regged yesterday. :D
স্বাস্থ্য com health. com google results = 776,000

Bengali terms do have some nice google results and they are growing.
Yeah, there was even an alphabet letter available until yesterday that is.

With limited translation resources and Google results it's hard to tell for sure if the term is correct. So the others may be garble. I'm hoping they're not. lol.

I do have a list of a few single character domains in Bengali script... Wondering if I should post them....
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
Yeah, there was even an alphabet letter available until yesterday that is.

Yes I noticed this too. A few vowels were available yesterday (dropped a while ago). I picked up this one: xn--n5b.com (ও.com). I think it is equivalent to vowel "O".
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
RD owns some single letters.
A single letter.
Old 23rd November 2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yes I noticed this too. A few vowels were available yesterday (dropped a while ago). I picked up this one: xn--n5b.com (ও.com). I think it is equivalent to vowel "O".
You sucker. Damn, I had that ready to go at Moniker last night. Then it got too late. I don't know why I hesitated. Nice grab. :D
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks sarcle for letting me have it.

You have too many top ones. This domain means nothing to you but a lot to me.
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:50 PM

These are the single characters available from last night. Don't know if they still are available and I don't vouch for any of them. Do your own research.

xn--94b.com (আ.xn--94b.com) Avail xn--d5b.com (উ.xn--d5b.com) Avail xn--e5b.com (ঊ.xn--e5b.com) Avail xn--f5b.com (ঋ.xn--f5b.com) Avail xn--g5b.com (ঌ.xn--g5b.com) Avail xn--u7b.com (ৠ.xn--u7b.com) Avail xn--v7b.com (ৡ.xn--v7b.com) Avail xn--w7b.com (ৢ.xn--w7b.com) Avail xn--x7b.com (ৣ.xn--x7b.com) Avail xn--f8b.com (৴.xn--f8b.com) Avail xn--g8b.com (৵.xn--g8b.com) Avail xn--h8b.com (৶.xn--h8b.com) Avail xn--i8b.com (৷.xn--i8b.com) Avail xn--j8b.com (৸.xn--j8b.com) Avail xn--k8b.com (৹.xn--k8b.com) Avail xn--l8b.com (৺.xn--l8b.com) Avail xn--b8b.com (ৰ.xn--b8b.com) Avail xn--c8b.com (ৱ.xn--c8b.com) Avail xn--w6b.com (ি.xn--w6b.com) Avail xn--x6b.com (ী.xn--x6b.com) Avail xn--y6b.com (ু.xn--y6b.com) Avail xn--z6b.com (ূ.xn--z6b.com) Avail xn--06b.com (ৃ.xn--06b.com) Avail xn--16b.com (ৄ.xn--16b.com) Avail xn--46b.com (ে.xn--46b.com) Avail xn--56b.com (ৈ.xn--56b.com) Avail xn--86b.com (ো.xn--86b.com) Avail xn--96b.com (ৌ.xn--96b.com) Avail xn--b7b.com (্.xn--b7b.com) Avail xn--v6b.com (া.xn--v6b.com) Avail
xn--t6b.com (়.xn--t6b.com) Avail xn--44b.com (ঁ.xn--44b.com) Avail xn--54b.com (ং.xn--54b.com) Avail xn--64b.com (ঃ.xn--64b.com) Avail

Cheers
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks sarcle for letting me have it.

You have too many top ones. This domain means nothing to you but a lot to me.
Yeah, I couldn't believe what I saw. Which is why I waited to post this blog for about an hour to give me a head start.

RD has some excellent ones though and has had for awhile.
Old 23rd November 2009, 05:56 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Dang, guess I should have kept my Bengali domains, huh...