IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Idners Clubhouse

Idners Clubhouse Idners Clubhouse is the place to hang out & chill when you just feel you've searched for IDN Domains a tad too much. General offtopic conversation. Please don't post SPAM here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2009, 08:13 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
5 stones down

Jack's been slimming over the past year. I'll put it into international terms, since we are "Internationalised" here.

For Brits: 5 stones 3 lbs lost, currently at 11 stone 11 lbs.

For Americans: 73 lbs lost, currently at 165 lbs.

--> Height: 5'9" (and then some)

For The rest of the world, i.e. the ones with common sense regarding measurement systems: 33.2 kg lost, currently at 74.8 kg.

--> Height: 177cm (official measurement)
Old 11th December 2009, 08:24 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough
Re: 5 stones down

congrats, any secrets you care to share.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:32 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
Old 11th December 2009, 08:32 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post

Let's just say I've radically revised the list of foods that I eat, combined with consuming less energy than I expend.

If you want details about the food, shoot me a PM.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:36 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm View Post
Let's just say I've radically revised the list of foods that I eat, combined with consuming less energy than I expend.

If you want details about the food, shoot me a PM.
Is this info going to cost us $1000 too?
Old 11th December 2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post

Ei, kun salaisuus on täysin jyvätön ruokavalio...
Old 11th December 2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
Is this info going to cost us $1000 too?

Only for you. Everybody else is free
Old 11th December 2009, 09:01 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Only for you. Everybody else is free
Old 11th December 2009, 09:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well, I was nearly 19 at one point, but manage to get to 15 stone before hitting a wall. At that point, I took a different tact and started building muscle to consume fat. Current a little North of 16 stone but starting to resemble a brick shit house.

Quote:
Jack's been slimming over the past year. I'll put it into international terms, since we are "Internationalised" here.

For Brits: 5 stones 3 lbs lost, currently at 11 stone 11 lbs.

For Americans: 73 lbs lost, currently at 165 lbs.

--> Height: 5'9" (and then some)

For The rest of the world, i.e. the ones with common sense regarding measurement systems: 33.2 kg lost, currently at 74.8 kg.

--> Height: 177cm (official measurement)
Old 11th December 2009, 09:19 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

My view is the much misunderstood Dr Aitkins just about had it right. Losing weight is complicated and varies a lot from individual to individual. The real enemy though is highly refined carbohydrates combined with increasingly less efficient metabolism with age. Alcohol is also not good as reduces good cholesterol and increasing the bad stuff. However, heavy drinking can result in weight severe weight loss.

Your real friend oddly enough is fat, well at least healthy oils particularly Omega 3 (only from fish oil, the vegetable stuff is pretty much useless) and Omega 9 (Olive Oil). Forget Omega 6, you are already consuming unhealthy quantities of that. Avoid low-fat diets like the plague. They are a complete red-herring. Oddly enough, I have also proved that excessive cardio-vascular exercise does not necessarily result in weight loss.

The worst problem with the metabolism with age is loss of muscle mass which needs to be counter-acted. Supplementation with Vitamins, minerals and other natural chemicals that the body starts failing to produce is also essential to make an aging body function effectively. Ensuring a healthy gut flora is also essential aspect of the problem.

Of course like everything else, I am sure Jackson and I are likely to disagree on this one.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Of course like everything else, I am sure Jackson and I are likely to disagree on this one.
No, actually you nailed it right on the head, from every angle. I eat plenty of fat, zero simple carbs, moderate on the alcohol and then only wine, and ensure lots of dietary omega 3. Exercise? What's that?
Old 11th December 2009, 09:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
No, actually you nailed it right on the head, from every angle. I eat plenty of fat, zero simple carbs, moderate on the alcohol and then only wine, and ensure lots of dietary omega 3. Exercise? What's that?
Hallelujah!

But don't fall into the yo-yo dieters trap of muscle atrophy. You need to get the shriveling old nuts of yours to kick out as much testosterone as possible and keep your protein intake up. Supplementation should include folic acid for cell renewal. Actually, building muscle take very little work. One set of 8 Reps every 2 to three days at about 80% of maximum. You can do all this with a collapsible weight bench (I would recommend Gold's Gym) and three sets of dumbbells. They should be weight ratios of about 1:2:4. The lightest ones can be used lateral and straight arm raises, as well as reverse curls. The Middle ones for Pec and Bicep curls, and the heavy ones for pressing, squatting, shrugs, pull-overs and Obliques. You should also do some curls on an inclined bench to tone your abs. Of course there are more but those are the basics and will give you a lot more shape but most importantly they will boost your calorie consumption. Muscles not only burn calories when exercised but they are high maintenance, which is why the body lets them waste when not in use.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You need to get the shriveling old nuts of yours to kick out as much testosterone as possible and keep your protein intake up.

LOL, I would be very happy if they would shrivel about 50%. Maybe then the amount of body hair would stop increasing before it becomes a full fledged blanket, as well I could manage to sit with my legs crossed :D

Additionally, dietary omega 3 and protein pretty much go hand in hand (the fish that I eat has lots of protein). No problem with getting enough protein.

I take a multivitamin daily, nothing special. Exercise, plenty of the nocturnal type.

Yo-yo? Nope, steady weight loss for a year already, no plateaus or rebounds.

The biggest contributing factor was probably when I got rid of my ex-wife.
Old 12th December 2009, 08:17 AM
Veteran

Fish is good and an excellent source of protein but it comes with a heavy metal load. Some of your Omega 3 should come from fish oil capsules which has had those metals removed.

Yes, change of partner was a big factor with me, but she left me. Life has its compensations.

Fat accumulation has much to do with our evolution. Bigger brains provided a competitive advantage but came at a cost. They consume large amounts of energy. To compensate the human body has evolved to be very energy efficient, and it the genes that make us obese that helped up survived the frequent periods of severe food shortage. During good time, it is the slim attractive ones that get to do a lot of breeding, at other times it simply those that survive. The slim attractive genes have relied on the obese genes to get where we are today. Are the obesity genes obsolete, well who knows but at the moment they are a liability.

So how did the human body become so fuel efficient? Well, one of the main strategies was to shed muscle that is not being used, thereby cutting down on overheads. To build muscle it needs to be "torn" which then gives out chemical flags for the testosterone to go to work and assimilate the protein. But even compared with our near cousins the Great Apes even champion body builders are comparatively puny.

Low Carb diets work to a large degree by suppressing appetite. The idea that Aikins allows you to eat unlimited amounts of fat is nonsense. It does not not. You still have to consume less than you burn. But eating a carb free diet soon makes you lose interest in food. Increasing your calorie consumption means that you can afford eat a more interesting and varied diet. Scales are an odd way of measuring what you really should be measuring. It is getting your fat levels down that is the real goal, which is not the same thing as minimizing your total body mass. Think BMI.

Quote:
LOL, I would be very happy if they would shrivel about 50%. Maybe then the amount of body hair would stop increasing before it becomes a full fledged blanket, as well I could manage to sit with my legs crossed :D

Additionally, dietary omega 3 and protein pretty much go hand in hand (the fish that I eat has lots of protein). No problem with getting enough protein.

I take a multivitamin daily, nothing special. Exercise, plenty of the nocturnal type.

Yo-yo? Nope, steady weight loss for a year already, no plateaus or rebounds.

The biggest contributing factor was probably when I got rid of my ex-wife.
Old 12th December 2009, 08:34 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Get some of this into you, carrot cake, but not as you know it!

Old 12th December 2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Get some of this into you, carrot cake, but not as you know it!

LOL, it looks like a heart attack on a plate!
Old 12th December 2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Fish is good and an excellent source of protein but it comes with a heavy metal load. Some of your Omega 3 should come from fish oil capsules which has had those metals removed.

Fish oil wreaks havoc on my digestive system, unless I use the stuff that costs 2 bucks per capsule (super refined, pharmaceutical grade). I don't want to spend that much on fish oil capsules. In addition to eating plenty of fish, I also get a lot of omega 3 from walnuts and ground flax seed (added to my yogurt). They are not quite as good as fish oil, but they don't bother my stomach.

BMI: 23.7, according to this morning's weight. I am aiming for 22.5 BMI, so still some weight to lose.
Old 12th December 2009, 09:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Fish oil wreaks havoc on my digestive system, unless I use the stuff that costs 2 bucks per capsule (super refined, pharmaceutical grade). I don't want to spend that much on fish oil capsules. In addition to eating plenty of fish, I also get a lot of omega 3 from walnuts and ground flax seed (added to my yogurt). They are not quite as good as fish oil, but they don't bother my stomach.

BMI: 23.7, according to this morning's weight. I am aiming for 22.5 BMI, so still some weight to lose.
Food intolerances can be down to gut flora. I would recommended a course of strong pro-biotic. Try Osumex.com. Not cheap but definitely worth it.

Omega 3 is Alpha Linolenic Acid , but the vegetable stuff is just the short chains, from memory just 18 carbon atoms. The stuff you need is 20 and 22 as found in Fish Oil. The body can convert up, but it shares a chemical pathway with Gamma Linolenic Acid (Sunflower Oil etc.). With western diets the consumption of GLA is so high that hardly any Alpha gets converted, so consuming vegetable source of Omega 3 is basically a waste of time, although flax, particularly the flax hulls, has other benefits.

I don't measure it often but I was up in the mid thirties with BMI. I would guess I am below 20, even though I am carrying much more weight. Target should be below 12 for a man. Most body builders that exhibit are down to about 6. Everybody hits a wall at some point. Getting past that wall in your case will almost certainly require bringing some exercise into the regime.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 12th December 2009 at 09:21 AM..
Old 12th December 2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I don't measure it often but I was up in the mid thirties with BMI. I would guess I am below 20, even though I am carrying much more weight. Target should be below 12 for a man. Most body builders that exhibit are down to about 6. Everybody hits a wall at some point. Getting past that wall in your case will almost certainly require bringing some exercise into the regime.

You are talking about body fat percentage, not body mass index (BMI).

My BMI is 23.7 (below 18.5 is anorexic, above 25.0 is overweight, and over 30 is obese).

My body fat percentage hasn't been measured, but judging from photos of other bf% measured people at my height and weight, I am guessing it's now somewhere around 15%.

My new year's resolution is to begin exercising!
Old 12th December 2009, 10:34 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

I'm down from 72 kg at the start of the year to 61 kg now. Wii Fit + walking / running + weights + caffeine - alchohol has been my formula.

What's this strange urge of so many IDNers to diet? Are all we all just starving?