IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:36 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Russia Is Torn Over Push for Use of Cyrillic Web Domains

Quote:
MOSCOW — The Kremlin has long been irritated by the way the United States dominates the Internet, all the way down to the ban on using Cyrillic for Web addresses — even kremlin.ru has to be demeaningly rendered in English. The Russian government, as a result, is taking the lead in a landmark shift occurring around the world to allow domain names in languages with non-Latin alphabets.

Russians themselves, though, do not seem at all eager to follow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/wo...llic.html?_r=1
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:43 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: Russia Is Torn Over Push for Use of Cyrillic Web Domains

Quote:
“Cyrillic domains are a major mistake because Latin symbols are the only symbols available on keyboards all over the world,” said Ilya V. Ponomarev, an opposition member in Russia’s Parliament who is a leading voice on technology.
Riiight. Leading voice on technology, my ass. Leading voice on 'I'm pissed cause I can't get my hands on any of that windfall of cash the ruling party will pocket from the .rf auctions'.

Quote:
“And there is a real concern that non-Latin domains are going to help governments that are not fully democratic, including the one in Russia, to better control their information space.”
Something that they can't already do with the existing cctlds...

Quote:
“This is a major headache for Russian companies,” said Aleksandr Gostev, an executive in Moscow at Kaspersky Lab, an Internet security company. “It is a wide new field for fraudsters.”
And, your company will gladly step in and protect these companies, after you scare them off with unfounded bullshit fraud hypotheses.

Bring Stalin back for a week to get rid of these mofos.

The comments are funnier than the article, btw.
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:36 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Rendered in "english" my ass.

The latin character set was derived from the Greek character set and has been in use for well over 2000 years, starting with and widespread by the Romans. It's used by nearly every country in Europe, as well as many other countries around the world.

Cyrillic character set wasn't an invention, either - it was also *heavily* derived from the Greek character set and still has a lot of similarity.
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:47 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Its so corrupt I love it.
Looks better and better everyday for .com
.RF?? Russian Firewall?

FREEEEEDOOOOMMMM to the people!!!!
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:06 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

What I loved about this article.

1. Total lack of insight into .com .net. Only .rf was covered.
2. Pushing the Soviet (communism) scare.
3. Yandex is still beating that same drum.
4. This is a "government" idea. Not a world wide Internet change.

Other than that the NY Times was right on. Right?

Guess we should send them traffic screenshots of our Russian.coms. lol.
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:33 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

When they realize the .RU ascii domains they have been hoarding are now worthless, there will be a lot more articles.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 22nd December 2009 at 04:46 PM..
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:48 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Anyone has any examples of Russian.com domains with over 100 clicks per month?
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:50 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
Over 100 clicks a day is normal for Russian premium domains.
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:55 PM

any examples?
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
“Cyrillic domains are a major mistake because Latin symbols are the only symbols available on keyboards all over the world,” said Ilya V. Ponomarev, an opposition member in Russia’s Parliament who is a leading voice on technology.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 22nd December 2009 at 05:23 PM..
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Oh, the irony. Nice job blast. Pretty much blew his arguement out of the water.
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:43 PM
Veteran

And this from his own homepage on "КПРФ.ИНФО"

Old 22nd December 2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
any examples?
I'm sure the members here could give you literally hundreds of examples if they were so inclined. But I doubt many would.
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive View Post
I'm sure the members here could give you literally hundreds of examples if they were so inclined. But I doubt many would.
Yeah, unless you are holding a wad of cash to spend. And even then most are holding out for .rf to be released (I know I am). The traffic will only go up from here on out. :D
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
And this from his own homepage on "КПРФ.ИНФО"

His hypocrisy knows no bounds does it? So this is a "do as I say, not as I do" sort of attitude or he's trying to scare everyone off and get the best names for himself.

What a jackass.
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Astounding how many people do not know that most computers can be installed with nearly any foreign-language keyboard within a minute of so.
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive View Post
Astounding how many people do not know that most computers can be installed with nearly any foreign-language keyboard within a minute of so.
Oh, he knows. He's just looking out for the interests of poor foreigners who can't.
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:14 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Only 100?
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:36 PM

I was reffering to an undeveloped domain name. I have a few premium russian IDN's but I don't get 100 clicks a day eventhough they are as premium as they can get. That is why i am wondering if there are any undeveloped names that do get over 100 clicks.
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:36 PM

And it's making the rounds.

http://domainnamewire.com/2009/12/22...-level-domain/