IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Idners Clubhouse

Idners Clubhouse Idners Clubhouse is the place to hang out & chill when you just feel you've searched for IDN Domains a tad too much. General offtopic conversation. Please don't post SPAM here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2009, 07:04 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
28,800 bit/s V.34

I've upgraded to 28,800 bit/s V.34.
Old 28th December 2009, 01:55 PM

zaclondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to zaclondon
Re: 28,800 bit/s V.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
I've upgraded to 28,800 bit/s V.34.
What's that. Broadband?
Old 28th December 2009, 06:22 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Movin' on up ;-).
Old 28th December 2009, 06:58 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaclondon View Post
What's that. Broadband?
A step above an acoustic coupler.
Old 28th December 2009, 07:31 PM

zaclondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to zaclondon

Quote:
haha! Of course. It through me off as I hadn't heard of that kind of speed(or lack thereof) in years.
Old 29th December 2009, 03:33 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Congratulations on your upgrade! I understand that this is fast enough to download images. You might want to try out a new program called "Mosaic"; it is a "web browser", whatever that is. Once I upgrade from my 1200 baud Hayes, I'll give it a try myself.

Avtal

P.S. Here's a brief history of modems, for those of you too young to remember: http://www.techradar.com/news/intern...-modems-657479
Old 29th December 2009, 04:17 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

before my first Apple ......

compuserve....timesharing

300 baud on an Osborne....
orange 7" screen.

two 5 inch floppy drives..
one for the OS
one for the app/ data.....

Visicalc...........

that plus my IBM ball Selectric............

carbon copy paper and onion skin paper.....
a very small portable manual smith corona typewriter....
for writing term papers at picnic tables outside...

listening to music........

wait for it............................................

a boombox cassette/radio player...

Steve.....
Old 29th December 2009, 04:28 AM
Veteran

Nice post Steve. That’s the spirit.
Old 29th December 2009, 04:52 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
300 baud on an Osborne....
orange 7" screen.

two 5 inch floppy drives..
one for the OS
one for the app/ data.....
Couldn't afford an Osborne, but a few years before that...

California public high school, in an era when they were still well funded.

ASR-33 teletype (10 characters per second, upper case only), connected by 110-baud acoustic coupler to a PDP-8 across town. Programmed in BASIC and PDP-8 assembly language. 48K core memory (a big step up from 16K!) -- real magnetic core. Files stored on paper tape.

Worked at a summer job to buy myself an HP-45, which I wore on my hip at all time.

A true nerd (then and now).

Avtal
Old 29th December 2009, 05:45 AM
Veteran

I started on a TRS-80.
Old 29th December 2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I started on a TRS-80.
The "Trash-80", we called it. That was unfair, because it was actually pretty good. What language (computer language, I mean) did you use?

Or maybe I should stop. Are we boring the youngsters?

Avtal
Old 29th December 2009, 06:03 AM
Veteran

Well, they had BASIC built-in to them, so that’s what I learned. Later, I got really good at HyperTalk.
Old 29th December 2009, 09:16 AM

welkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enough

ha, hypercard had nothing on world builder. tho apparently there's a company that converts old hypercard stacks into something that runs over the web:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-....html?tag=more

but that seems a little like...how many years does it take for a landfill to become an archaeological treasure?

but to its credit, the original myst was a hypercard stack (albeit heavily modified).
Old 29th December 2009, 05:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post
but to its credit, the original myst was a hypercard stack (albeit heavily modified).
If Apple made the right decisions at the right time, we'd all be using HyperTalk web browsers instead of HTML.
Old 30th December 2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I remember playing Star Trek on the PDP-11 at my first job, loading the fortran code off an 8" floppy.

TRS-80 at school b4 that, and my first computer was a ZX-81, then upgraded to a Spectrum, maxed out to 48k. Woot! Those silver paper thermal printers were the pits.
Old 30th December 2009, 11:40 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

My 89 year old mom....
found my Timex Sinclair 1000 in the basement of her house last summer....

with the power cord no less......

ah.........the tipping point where Britain could have ruled the digital universe...
and punted.....

Steve
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:20 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My 89 year old mom....

ah.........the tipping point where Britain could have ruled the digital universe...
and punted.....

Steve
is that the ZX-80? I missed that by a few years, but didn't miss much apparently

At school in the UK we had Sharp machines, forget the model name, nice integrated screen. Used to spend our after-school time (re)typing in the latest Space Invaders game that got printed out in C&VG, very exciting, even better when we eventually realized you weren't supposed to type the source code in every day but instead save it to the disk

Unfortunately typing in proved more reliable than the disk at the time, and when you consider how bad our typing was .....

By the end of the year, we had Meteor, Frogger, Space Invaders and Defender all safely secured on disk and ready to replay within minutes. Heady progress....
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:36 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My 89 year old mom....

and punted.....

Steve
Is that the one with the small form and spongy keys?

I do remember the Brits churning out some good early PCs. Acorn or something rings a bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Used to spend our after-school time (re)typing in the latest Space Invaders game that got printed out in C&VG, very exciting, even better when we eventually realized you weren't supposed to type the source code in every day but instead save it to the disk
LOL, brings back fond memories. Floppy drives were at a premium for Apple ][, so we were on cassette decks back then but trying to read from them was often as hellish as typing out source code over again.

I cut my teeth on Apple //e. Ah, the first Golden era of games... Ultima. Wizardry. Dr. J and Bird go One-on-One.
Old 2nd January 2010, 05:18 AM
Veteran

Dark Castle just got re-released.
Old 2nd January 2010, 07:22 AM

welkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dark Castle just got re-released.
i noticed the other day that stuntcopter had been released for the iphone! apparently spaceward ho! is being worked on, too.

most of the classic mac games will probably re-emerge on the iphone...there were some great ones.