IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:07 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Another 'Sky is Falling' article.

Came across this article:

PayPal vs Fake PayPal: Can You Tell the Difference? [PIC]

Talk about not doing your homework. The comments led me to this blogger:

de-latinisation of the web

This guy actually did his homework and figured out that mixed-scripts are no longer allowed. He seemed a bit brighter than most so I invited him here.
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:37 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: Another 'Sky is Falling' article.

Commented on both sites. Hopefully I didn't do a half-assed job!
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:37 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

2 more here and here

amazing how outdated and naive some peoples thinking are.
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:52 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
2 more here and here

amazing how outdated and naive some peoples thinking are.

Quote:
The introduction of the non-Latin characters could possibly cause each culture to create their own unique system which will in-turn cause the Internet to become non-interacting or non-functioning. What will would we do if one of the most used communication device between different cultures was lost?
I can't even speak to them to begin with, what do I give a shit if they start building more sites that they can use? That's pretty much my philosophy.

If someone in Africa has the opportunity to get online and start blogging to other Africans regarding a crappy situation, they might start to try and promote better living styles, etc. Problem is, without being able to give them a medium to PROPERLY access (this is eliminated with the use of IDNs and allowing them to DIRECTLY visit and advertise sites), they won't be able to do that.

As for the other comments about phishing and stuff, I'm too tired to do everyone's research. Already commented to several people how you can't fucking register mixed scripts. At least this guy figured it out:

Quote:
Spent several hours with Godaddy level 2 technical support to work out why my registrations for
paypal and twitter and Godaddy where not working (where i substituted 1 Cyrillic letter in place of an English letter)

It turns out basically Verisign already worked out the soution to this - you cant mix letters from multiple languages.

So you cant substitute a cyrillic a and use English letters for > p ypal<

There are very limited letters that match English with all Cyrillic (lol ebay is one of them - and it's already registered.....hmmmm).

....oh and you definitely cant register paypal, not sure where Christina got her 'L' in Cyrillic from :P - http://mashable.com/2010/01/01/idn-phishing/).

So unless anyone has anything to add i think this issue is a dud.
Fucking.amazing.

Seriously, first thoughts that come to peoples heads are "LETS GO START BUYING PHISHING DOMAINS! YEEEEEEEE-HAW!" and then "OH WAIT--LEMME BLOG AND BITCH FIRST BEFORE TRYING AND RESEARCHING"

At least I enjoy their disappointment in the end.
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:14 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

At least Mr. Collins took to time to figure it out. You have to give him credit for that.

One thing that is suprising is how most of these articles are written from the point of view that something is going to change and affect them. They can't even do enough homework to figure out that IDN's already exist.

Finding out that something called the Domain Name Review could be so hopelessly uninformed is surprising as well. I would expect more from people in the industry.

This Christina Warren seems to be learning some bad habits. It has been pointed out to her that her article is blatantly incorrect and inflammatory yet she refuses to retract it. She seems to like all the attention. Seems she has learned that scaring people sells and that accuracy isn't required.
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:02 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Purely from a matter of interest, what would you guess is the nationality of these internet guru's that are making such uninformed comments?
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
Purely from a matter of interest, what would you guess is the nationality of these internet guru's that are making such uninformed comments?
A whois on domainnamereview.com returns a Bournemouth, United Kingdom address.
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:17 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
A whois on domainnamereview.com returns a Bournemouth, United Kingdom address.
Bournemouth has more foreign language students than anywhere else in the Universe.
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Bournemouth has more foreign language students than anywhere else in the Universe.
I guess that will help narrow it down. These particular domain professionals are apparently unaware that people in other parts of the world may wish to use the Internet, in a script other than Latin. Pretty sure they aren't foreign language students.
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:34 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I guess that will help narrow it down. These particular domain professionals are apparently unaware that people in other parts of the world may wish to use the Internet, in a script other than Latin. Pretty sure they aren't foreign language students.
Probably not the correct terminology but the one the locals use. They are foreigners learning English.

Judging by where this guy lives ( a pretty dreary block of flats in a dreary part of town), I somehow doubt he is one of Asia's Elite.
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200 View Post
Commented on both sites. Hopefully I didn't do a half-assed job!
Definitely not half-assed. Your comment was approved whilst mine seems to have been scuppered. Well done! I had given him a bit of heck for apparently expecting Verisign to hand over 手机应用商店.com just because he owned www.mobileappstore.com. His quote was:

"How are do you think this is going to be handled moving forward? is this is going to be a real problem. for example - I own the domains
http://www.mobileappstore.com/
http://www.mobileappstore.net/
http://www.mobileappstore.org/
http://www.mobileappstore.mobi/
(yeh i know pretty cool domains to own - i'm selling them if you are interested....)

I was recently contacted by the domain holder for
手机应用商店.cn
手机应用商店.com

Which is mobileappstore.com in Chinese that he had just registered ????

How the heck is this going to work???"

If the owner of mobileappstore.com is entitled to 手机应用商店.com then what does the owner of mobileapplicationstore.com get? Or how bout mobileappsstore.com?

Translation isn't a 1 to 1 equation. No plurals in Chinese.

Obviously your technique was more effective FKA. I will try harder in the future sensei. What is the old expression? One catches more flies with honey?
Old 4th January 2010, 06:56 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

This just got posted:

As opposed to just making comments about ICANN and what we do or do not do - I relally wish you would have called or emailed and asked.

You say: As of right now, ICANN hasn’t instituted any policies of trying to protect these kinds of situations, meaning it might be that much more difficult for even normally cautious users to avoid being scammed.

This is wrong. The rule for mixing scripts was put in place years ago and as such the type of example you are using is no longer a problem and has not been for a long time......

If you are interested in a review of what are the past problems, how have they been solved and what do we need to do looking forward, please call.

Tina Dam
Sr. Director, IDNs
ICANN

Nice!
Old 4th January 2010, 09:15 PM

Didn't see that one coming!
Old 5th January 2010, 12:15 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
From my own experience, I tend to find most uninformed self-proclaimed Internet Guru's tend to be from the UK
Old 5th January 2010, 12:18 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
From my own experience, I tend to find most uninformed self-proclaimed Internet Guru's tend to be from the UK
word
Old 5th January 2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Your comment was approved whilst mine seems to have been scuppered.
Seems like this guy was not too fond of my comment and didn't approve it:

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/ic...lions-2010014/

Bunch of lazy-asses just reposting the same article under their own name and throwing in the gizmodo source link at the bottom.
Old 5th January 2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Try dropping the handle Wanker next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200 View Post
Seems like this guy was not too fond of my comment and didn't approve it:

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/ic...lions-2010014/

Bunch of lazy-asses just reposting the same article under their own name and throwing in the gizmodo source link at the bottom.
Old 6th January 2010, 11:11 AM

The mashable article was updated by the author but is still chock full of errors. I beginning to think that this Christina Warren has no interest in the truth whatsoever. Tina Dam made yet another offer to explain what precautions have been put in place etc.

Quote:
Hi christina, thanks for making the correction note on the article. Please note further that just because a "character" exists in Unicode does not make it available for use in domain names. Several characters are what we call DISALLOWED in the IDNA protocol. All domain names need to be valid in accordance with the IDNA protocol in order for the domain name to be registered and resolvable. Adding on top of the protocol comes the IDN Guidelines, where the non-script/language mixing rule sits and is enforced by a contractual relationship with ICANN, and more rules and requirements goes on to of that.

As mentioned in my previous comment to your article - if you are interested in writing about security and IDns, which indeed is an important topic, then please contact me and I will guide you through how all this works, whats in place, and what else needs to be done and we move forward. I will probably also suggest that you talk to others, for example security experts. Not doing so is quite disrespectful to people that have spend years of voluntary work on IDNs, to make it work so weel that we are able to make the introduction at the top level. I also find it rude towards your readers that have needed IDNs at the top level for years.....imagine if all domain names were in arabic characters and you for years had to find a way to type arabic domian names on your latin-based keyboard. Then when latin was introduced in the domain name it got slashed by an arabic writing reporter...not fully understanding the technology and mechnisms.....not nice.

I know you just re-reported what was said in the times online - but that does not make it right, and because your article is read and re-tweeted by so many it actually cause a lot of damage. I spend all day yesterday and today fixing the issues, replying to people that contacted me because they read your story and freaked out. Its going to run for a few more days - sometimes this takes weeks. And its not that i mind doing the clean-up work, but it takes away time from what i really should be doing: real IDN work, such as helping counties that need support to get their language supported in the DNS, evaluations of applications, revision of the Guidelines to make them stringer, and so on...

So I'm around if you want to understand this better.

Tina Dam
Sr. Director, IDNs
ICANN
I think there is a real story for one of the IDN blogs to report on how poorly this is all being handled by the media. The false scare-mongering is providing traffic and the writers seem to lose interest in the truth as a result.
Old 6th January 2010, 11:22 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

In the end its all good publicity, and hundreds of thousands of readers getting a wee bit smarter.
Old 6th January 2010, 05:18 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
In the end its all good publicity, and hundreds of thousands of readers getting a wee bit smarter.
Agreed. Publicity is a good thing. Awareness is our ally.

Looks like Fox picked up Mashable's story and ran with it. Even got TV time. The video is on the site. More great news reporting. These "new" .com's that are due out in mid-2010. WTF? My god, journalism has gone to hell.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/morn...esses-phishing

Quote:
New Internet .com’s are on the way in mid 2010, but because of some tricky letters, fake websites could be used to trick you out of your identity