IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2010, 08:19 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
DNAME analysis

Tina Dam speaking on the GNSO council teleconference on DNAME:
"Certain things have changed technically wise and may make it appropriate for that to be reopened and take a look at that again"

To listen go to: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/ Click MP3 on Jan 7th.
The part on DNAME is on 1:13:00

Agenda: http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/agenda-07jan10-en.htm
Final Report: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-g...03dec09-en.pdf
Old 8th January 2010, 08:48 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: DNAME analysis

pardon my ignorance, but what's the meaning of this ?
Old 8th January 2010, 10:06 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
pardon my ignorance, but what's the meaning of this ?
DNAME was the holy grail of "aliasing" idns. Instead, it appears we are getting Mike's Alias Quick Fix. :p

http://www.icann.org/en/announcement...ld-12dec05.pdf
Old 9th January 2010, 04:29 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

This surely makes RD happy.
Note, RD has always been in supportive of DNAME.
Old 9th January 2010, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Anyone who is prepared to troll through hours and hours of dull ICANN video, audio and transcript for anything to do with IDN surely has no social life whatsoever.

We need to get you to somewhere with a pole in it, other than a fire station.
Old 9th January 2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Anyone who is prepared to troll through hours and hours of dull ICANN video, audio and transcript for anything to do with IDN surely has no social life whatsoever.

:D Actually Michael has been providing a massive service by allowing those who are interested to focus in on the key issues without hours of trolling.

It also highlights the difference between a serious professional domainer, and those kids at Namepros that just maxout mummy's credit card because they have a nice warm feeling about a given extension or class of hacks or typos.
Old 9th January 2010, 11:13 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
:D Actually Michael has been providing a massive service by allowing those who are interested to focus in on the key issues without hours of trolling..
Indeed hats off to Michael for finding the needles in the haystacks.
Old 10th January 2010, 01:22 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

re: Bill and David...
yes Michael ..thank you for the time line in the mp3 file ..

re: Tina
I guess Verisign has new cache / h/w / replication tech.

dname/mapping/aliasing ....whatever ...

s/
Old 10th January 2010, 02:31 AM
Banned

idncurious is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
DNAME was the holy grail of "aliasing" idns. Instead, it appears we are getting Mike's Alias Quick Fix. :p

http://www.icann.org/en/announcement...ld-12dec05.pdf

Thanks. I read it and it was very helpful. However, I still have question as to exactly what has changed.

Specifically, what was the reason that Dname was found not appropriate in the first place? And what exactly happened between then and now that was changed techically so that now it may be appropriate?

(Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to idn til recently... so maybe a little history on this will help alot. btw, I googled it but really could not find any specifics on this.)
Old 10th January 2010, 03:17 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post

Drew, I need out. I'm going crazy here. I have a kid. I have a woman that won't put out and all I can see when I close my eyes are xn-- xn-- xn-- xn-- xn--.......

It's more a hole than a pole I need...
Old 10th January 2010, 05:42 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by idncurious View Post
Thanks. I read it and it was very helpful. However, I still have question as to exactly what has changed.

Specifically, what was the reason that Dname was found not appropriate in the first place? And what exactly happened between then and now that was changed techically so that now it may be appropriate?

(Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to idn til recently... so maybe a little history on this will help alot. btw, I googled it but really could not find any specifics on this.)
The biggest problem is that the US Internet is largely legacy hardware that won't handle IDNs. Not sure why anyone is worried as they will probably never need to. But you are talking about a still apparently powerful nation that is paranoid that somehow they will lose access to Internet pages that they never ever went to and couldn't read in any case. The only real hope is more adult literacy support, but Obama's stimulus does not apparently include a Cash for Dummies program. Perhaps they simply couldn't afford it.
Old 10th January 2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The biggest problem is that the US Internet is largely legacy hardware that won't handle IDNs.
Old 10th January 2010, 08:07 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
The biggest problem is that the US Internet is largely legacy hardware that won't handle IDNs
u mean software w/ unicode encoding?
Old 10th January 2010, 09:09 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The biggest problem is that the US Internet is largely legacy hardware that won't handle IDNs.
Don't worry, everyone will be buying those new IDN Keyboards pretty soon.
Old 10th January 2010, 10:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
u mean software w/ unicode encoding?
Some of the older serves cannot do DNAMES. They would have to be set up to do CNAMES and just wouldn't handle it very well. If put under significant demand they would slow to a crawl. Most of the stuff installed in Asia where it actually matters are all brand spanking new by comparison. It is all down to the US being pioneers, but they have the oldest equipment. But it is again Americans expecting to be able to do stuff that in practice they wouldn't do anyway.
Old 10th January 2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idncurious View Post
Thanks. I read it and it was very helpful. However, I still have question as to exactly what has changed. Specifically, what was the reason that Dname was found not appropriate in the first place? And what exactly happened between then and now that was changed techically so that now it may be appropriate?

As I understand it, during the testing period DNAME had some technical problems with a very small percentage of idns, so it has not been adopted across the board. You might want to search "dname testing" and see if there is anything new out there. The direction things seem to be going is if you own idn.com, you will be able to pay to "activate" the idn.com(idn) version which will basically be a seperate domain in the root.

Originally Posted by jacksonm a year or so ago as a possible solution (which now appears to be the direction things are heading):

Verisign is awarded and delegated new namespaces for tens of extensions which equal dot com in various languages, and they create empty zonefiles in their DNS for all the new namespaces. Verisign extends the registrar API (small modification to the registrar's interface to the registry) so that a domain owner can choose the aliases he wants to pay for. After he pays, the command is sent to the registry to add NS records to each of the zone files that the person just paid for.
Old 10th January 2010, 10:53 AM
Veteran

I think it may also be that DNAMES would work if confined to a subset of Servers that are specifically designed to cope with them. I think Individual Registries will opt to do DNAMES at some point in time. It is important to note that ICANN only controls the Naming System, they do not control the Internet. Some of these decisions are outside their jurisdiction.

Quote:
As I understand it, during the testing period DNAME had some technical problems with a very small percentage of idns, so it has not been adopted across the board. You might want to search "dname testing" and see if there is anything new out there. The direction things seem to be going is if you own idn.com, you will be able to pay to "activate" the idn.com(idn) version which will basically be a seperate domain in the root.

Originally Posted by jacksonm a year or so ago as a possible solution (which now appears to be the direction things are heading):

Verisign is awarded and delegated new namespaces for tens of extensions which equal dot com in various languages, and they create empty zonefiles in their DNS for all the new namespaces. Verisign extends the registrar API (small modification to the registrar's interface to the registry) so that a domain owner can choose the aliases he wants to pay for. After he pays, the command is sent to the registry to add NS records to each of the zone files that the person just paid for.
Old 10th January 2010, 10:57 AM

aboalham is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I would like to explain to me what's this one?
Old 10th January 2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I think it may also be that DNAMES would work if confined to a subset of Servers that are specifically designed to cope with them. I think Individual Registries will opt to do DNAMES at some point in time. It is important to note that ICANN only controls the Naming System, they do not control the Internet. Some of these decisions are outside their jurisdiction.
DNAME works at the tld level, correct? What is proposed now would be done at the database level (backend) on a case by case basis and is certainly more bulletproof. Also allows Verisign to charge for the service as well.

There was speculation that perhaps the solution was to just catch the domain names that would not fly under DNAME and deal with them on a one by one basis. This was thought to be a very small percentage so it would be manageable.
Old 10th January 2010, 11:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
DNAME works at the tld level, correct? What is proposed now would be done at the database level (backend) on a case by case basis and is certainly more bulletproof. Also allows Verisign to charge for the service as well.

There was speculation that perhaps the solution was to just catch the domain names that would not fly under DNAME and deal with them on a one by one basis. This was thought to be a very small percentage so it would be manageable.
No DNAMES can be run not only Servers that direct queries to the Registeries, but on any Server that is capable of running the Software that supports the Commands. You could probably run it on your own Company Intranet if you knew what you were doing.