IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

View Poll Results: Do IDNers want sale threads split into language categories? (Public)
Yes 14 70.00%
No 2 10.00%
I don't really care 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2006, 04:57 PM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Subdivide the sales section by language and price?

I wonder if it is good idea to begin thinking in subdividing the sales subforum by language and price? Or maybe even to go a step forward and to run a single page with the domains on sale -domainershub.com style but adding the options for price, language and a pop-up window or comment area for the buyer to read if interested on the OVT, search results, explanation, etc-.

The way i see it, some people is only interested on 2 or 3 languages and they have a budget, so why instead of mixing quality domains with bad ones, persian domains with japanese, greek with chinese, etc; better to let the potential buyers to go for what they specifically want within their budget?

For the sellers is also good, as they know their unsold domains are always receiving attention instead of bumbing their sales threads one in a while to keep it on "the front page". Anyway just a recommendation mostly to separate $60 domains from people asking over $2K, $5K or more per a domain of usually better quality; greek from japanese, chinese from bulgarian, arab from czech, etc.

Share your opinion but cmon lets keep harmony in here, so much insults or impolite comments piss me off when people just want to help.
Old 30th April 2006, 08:16 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Subdivide the sales section by language and price?

Yes, please subdivide sales by language.
Old 30th April 2006, 08:55 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

A language split is great, but re. price I believe there are a lot of folks who would buy at anything from $xx to $x,xxx or more FOR THE RIGHT NAME.

The downside of the split is some threads may only get a handful of views or less, but that reflects the reality of the market i.e. they're currently getting artificially high views now simply because people have to look into the thread to find out in what language the domain is being offered.
Old 1st May 2006, 08:15 AM

yeah i think it is good to slipt the sales subforum by languages. I have almost 300 posts, just 1 post was for a sale, but i still find most members are here to sell domains instead of learning more about domaining or contributing more to the idn community, so thats why i said to the adm. try to make sales easier for the sellers who are here just making posts to sell.

i see some guys with many posts, but 99% are only about sale threads. so why not to give them what they want? besides for a buyer is easier to go to the area where there are only sales threads on the language (s) he invests the most.
Old 1st May 2006, 08:37 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I am for that. The forum needs to evolve and respond to needs. I think the need for a language split in the sales threads is now apparent.
Old 1st May 2006, 08:59 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Good idea Poll added just in case
THE POLL IS PUBLIC

Those against it please supply reasons why.

I do think though the forum is getting big enough to divide the sales myself.
Old 1st May 2006, 09:00 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

A split will be a good idea, but there should be a "latest sale threads" page that gathers the latest postings from all the sales subforums. As a frequent buyer, i find it a chore going thru' DNF's sales subforums - made worst by DNF's slow loading.

Since the Sales section is the most visited section, Olney might want to consider the implication to server load when people hop from one subforum to another just to find something interesting.
Old 1st May 2006, 09:16 AM

the optimum would be as i said at the begining to run a page with the domains on sale -domainershub.com style. It is not difficult and very useful. Reasons, 1. I hate people doing sales thread bumps to be on the first page of the sales section -which means more exposure to buyers- or 2. Many times u see some lunatics asking $$$$$$ for a domain, which it is maybe interesting to get for $$$ but not for $$$$$$$$$$$. It is really a waste of time to have to check the threads of wanna-be instant millionaire, because by force u have to see the content to see the price. At least then ask as a rule to add the price on thread title, so u got domain/translation/price.

Anyway for now, at least, to slip by language is better.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:47 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Why not just use the "New Posts" view when you want to look at everything?
Old 1st May 2006, 12:49 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Why not just use the "New Posts" view when you want to look at everything?
I think he looking to filter the sales threads from the discussion threads.
Old 1st May 2006, 03:20 PM

i meant i think as a rule the title of a sale thread should be on the new japanese idn domains section on the sales area like this:

" ギフト.com/gift/$20K " -then u know the translation and requested price. U got the money, u click to see ovt, search results, etc.

instead of "ギフト.com Gift " where sometimes the requested price of the seller is insane. if it is a lunatic seller, he still should do like this "ギフト.com/gift/$500K" and then done, people dont have to waste time checking it unless u have $500K to spend today most cases here high prices doesnt much quality of the domain, just another wanna-be quickly millionaire, specially lately on chinese domains.
Old 1st May 2006, 03:30 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't care about a split based on price. Just language would be perfect.
Old 1st May 2006, 03:36 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like a split only if there's a view that summarized all.
Two reasons:
1. too early. the sellors and buyers now are not yet specialized
2. languages that share stuff. Like Chinese and Japanese obviously

I like idnceo's idea about title format:
" ギフト.com/gift/$20K - Japanese "

Even if there is a split, I'd like it to be high level split: East Asian, Cyrillic, Latin, Arabic, Other

Last edited by kenne; 1st May 2006 at 03:39 PM..
Old 1st May 2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I think he looking to filter the sales threads from the discussion threads.
You can still do that under "New Posts" - just glance to the right as you scan down, and you can see which category each post was added to (you can see in seconds which are in the sales forums). Then SHIFT+click (or right-click and "Open in New Window") on just those threads you'd like to view, and each one will open in a new browser window which you can then kill when you're done with that thread.

It's not as good as an automatic summary, but it's very quick once you get used to it and it's there "right now".
Old 1st May 2006, 09:50 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

I like idnceo's idea, but please keep Chinese, Japanese and Korean in the same group.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@