IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2010, 08:16 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Re: IDNTools on Times Square Billboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
The problem is still the logo, if you aren't already in the business, you aren't sure which order the I D and N should go to read it.
I have to agree 100% with Blast on this.

For an "outsider" it is pretty difficult to work out that the logo reads IDN. For me, the N kind of gets hidden away, and from a glance it reads more like IDI rather than IDN. I think that simply putting the N next to the D, rather than behind it will work much better, and be much more clearer about the words IDN - which at the end of the day, is what you are really about. - Just my thoughts.

Apart from that - congrats again on the exposure.

Alex

Old 12th January 2010, 08:54 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Congrats guys, so that was the big news Gary didn't want to tell me about?!

I just have three remarks (I hope you welcome constructive critics)

1. IDNTools is not "the only droplist for IDNs."

2. I agree with Jeff, and would even go further: 30% of the people passing by don't know what a domain name is, 60% don't know you can make a lot of money selling them, 90% don't know what an "IDN" is.

3. You [should] could work on the logo. Such a great promotion deserves a better logo.

Anyway, you did good to us all with this IDN huge exposition.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:24 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

You might have been better off with an easy to read 1 letter IDN in whatever language. People also know what a domain is. In general they don't know what an IDN is, and most of the news about IDNs mentions domains not IDNs.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:26 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

thanks for all the comments everyone, and special thanks to Aaron for masterminding this.

As usual, with anything like this it attracts overly positive comments, overly negative comments, and varying degrees in between. And you know what, it's all good, everyone has their opinion and it's good to hear them.

A few common points have been raised, so it's probably worth touching on them, and giving my take on it.

We decided to do a PR blast using one of the countries most respected PR media companies, as part of this PR campaign the article is sent to thousands of news agencies and outlets for them to pick up, and we also get some airtime in Times Square for a few days.

What were our intentions?

One of the most recognized barriers facing the IDN industry is lack of awareness, and the information when it is out there, as we know is often outdated, scare-mongering and often plainly wrong.
Yes there was a commercial slant to the PR campaign to promote IDNTools and the droplist (which incidentally does include the only publicly available dot JP droplist on the web)

.. but ultimately it's about getting investors & developers attention here at home, and laying down a trail of breadcrumbs for people to follow from the article, to the blogs, to this forum and so on, and on that journey they will find the facts and what we know is a huge opportunity.

Do we expect people in Times Square to stop, look up and register an IDN on their phone, or even necessarily to immediately understand what they are looking at? lol, no. It's more about publicity, and being able to use and reference this event in that iconic location for future targeted detailed messaging.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:31 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
One of the most recognized barriers facing the IDN industry is lack of awareness, and the information when it is out there, as we know is often outdated, scare-mongering and often plainly wrong.
+1

I wonder how much traffic was lost to IDITOOLS.COM
Old 12th January 2010, 09:33 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
I wonder how much traffic was lost to IDITOOLS.COM
lol, the strapline on the screen above the image had the URL very clearly (although not seen clearly in the lo-res image)

This is a good thing Blast.. I'm sure if you dig deep you can find something positive to say..
Old 12th January 2010, 09:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
lol, the strapline on the screen above the image had the URL very clearly (although not seen clearly in the lo-res image)

This is a good thing Blast.. I'm sure if you dig deep you can find something positive to say..
We all benefit if more names get sold at higher prices as a result of your venture. So the more effective your logo is the better. Don't think brand recognition. Think generic.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Of course, not everyone here is really going to be happy. The days of picking up half decent domains for less than reg fee are clearly about to pass forever.

Thanks Guys.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:44 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Next step: http://www.google.com/adwords/tvads/index-b.html
Old 12th January 2010, 09:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Of course, not everyone here is really going to be happy. The days of picking up half decent domains for less than reg fee are clearly about to pass forever.
The old issue: Plz don't take IDNs mainstream yet, lemme just buy some more for cheap.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
The old issue: Plz don't take IDNs mainstream yet, lemme just buy some more for cheap.
Well having met our current financial targets, it seems unlikely that we will be doing more auctions before there is a lot more interest in the mainstream than there is currently. Good names for Cheap is increasingly the province of dreamers from here on in.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I haven't seen you buying… even when Duck was selling good domains for $1.
Old 12th January 2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

lol
Old 12th January 2010, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I am not the only not wanting to take this mainstream.

Yes, I have not been buying a lot on the secondary market, because I have scripts permanently running that are constantly sending me opportunities and I have been much active on the drop market also.

But its curious you said that because I was just now finishing a deal with RD (as a buyer). And yes, it was low price.
Old 12th January 2010, 04:33 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post

Thanks Guys.
Thanks Dave!
Old 12th January 2010, 04:44 PM
Veteran

Idea: Snapnames have been doing IDN for ages. Why not do the first IDN auction there? Just like domainingtips.com did.
Old 12th January 2010, 05:05 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Idea: Snapnames have been doing IDN for ages. Why not do the first IDN auction there? Just like domainingtips.com did.
because the only domains you hear about are the real quality domains that drop thru snapnames... and good luck in finding seller(s) who have the balls to put up real quality at reserve of $69
Old 12th January 2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
put up real quality at reserve of $69
That’s so 2005.
Old 12th January 2010, 06:28 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think the biggest barrier is not yet being able to "activate" the .IDN extension. I think promoting them now is a bit early. Once IDN-TLD activations get implemented (and who knows when that will be?!) - then that's when I see IDNs becoming a BIG DEAL.
Old 12th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner View Post
I think the biggest barrier is not yet being able to "activate" the .IDN extension. I think promoting them now is a bit early. Once IDN-TLD activations get implemented (and who knows when that will be?!) - then that's when I see IDNs becoming a BIG DEAL.
from a TLD perspective maybe.. but IDN is more than just com & net

and besides, the prime time to get in on the game is before the 'activation' isn't it?