IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2010, 05:03 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough
Re: How does it work ..japanese type ins

Regarding kanji doamins, I own quite a few with good typein traffics and nice daily revenue.
Old 19th January 2010, 05:31 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
Thank you for that info. I have been writing Japanese on my Mac for years and have never noticed that for some words that an associated symbol is available in the candidate window. I have experimented and have, so far, found:

あめ=Rain: type あめ to get ☂ (romaji form of あめ is ame)
ゆき=Snow: type ゆき to get ☃ (romaji form of ゆき is yuki)
くも=Cloud: type くも to get ☁ (romaji form of くみ is kumo)
ほし=Star: type ほし to get ★ (romaji form of ほし is hoshi)

André 小山 Schappo
http://拉夫堡學生會.cn/
You are the only other person who answered this posts question! He asking about symbols, guys, why did you confuse him with kanji and keyboards?

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 19th January 2010 at 05:32 PM..
Old 19th January 2010, 05:33 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Thread should be renamed:

How to type in English .com to get onto the web ;-)

In Japan people know Japanese...
Old 19th January 2010, 06:08 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post

Yes, but in Soviet Russia... Cyrillic knows you!
Old 20th January 2010, 03:56 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

BUMP

If we had an annual award for the funniest post, this short little gem from Sarcle would get my vote

Quote:
...I am wondering how the japanese folk can type in symbols ?

I understand some of the other alphabets can have a specific keyboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
I'm not exactly sure but I think they use copy/paste like we do.
.. priceless.

Last edited by alpha; 20th January 2010 at 03:58 PM..
Old 20th January 2010, 05:04 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
:D

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 20th January 2010 at 05:47 PM..
Old 21st January 2010, 07:40 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Just to add that as a Thai I can confirm that almost 100% of Thais speak Thai and not just 20 million people as claimed by Wikepedia.

Also for reference, Thailand's population is estimated to be 70 million by the year 2010 (Sources: National Statistic Office, the Bank of Thailand, and the Board of Investment (BOI).)

http://www.siamallservices.com/facts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Wow - is it that "complicated"? No wonder my "backwater" Thai IDN domains where the locals are fortunate to have the entire alphabet "there" on the keyboard get many more type-ins than a typical Japanese name....

You know, I'm beginning to think Thai IDNs aren't merely such an "exotic alternative destination for your IDN investment bucks" after all. Consider the evidence:

1) Thais love .com, very little affinity for their .th ccTLD which as everyone knows is covered in more tape than a CSI crime scene.

2) But better than that, Thais really love ".com" in Thai = ".คอม". What evidence do I have for that statement?
a) Thais speak and write Thai, not English!

b) When Thais write ".com" in website titles, or incorporate into logos, most sites use the Thai ".คอม" not the English ".com". That is even knowing that ".คอม" doesn't exist yet. Imagine when it does exist ....

c) (For you hardcore statisticians rather than lovers of "fluffy" arguments) -

A few stats from truehits.net, showing what Thais search for when they are looking for a full domain name:

น่ารักดอทคอม = 6336 searches in December 2009
narak.com = 4257 searches in December 2009
น่ารัก.com = 93 searches in December 2009

เด็กดีดอทคอม = 42533 searches in December 2009
เด็กดี.คอม = 7378 searches in December 2009
เด็กดี.com = 1689 searches in December 2009

If nothing else, this shows that Thais are very comfortable with "คอม" being *their* version of ".com", even before it exists. When they start getting used to domains that begin with Thai letters, they just will not switch to ASCII ".com" - they will type "คอม", and ".com" will go straight to the Thai history books.

So that says to me I am already losing a huge % of type-ins because Thais are typing in ".คอม", not ".com".

Add to that the type-ins being lost because of the 40% of sleepy Thais still using IE6 ......

If type-ins were bad, the potential "multipliers" wouldn't mean much. But type-ins have already doubled every year or so for the last four years.

3) For a country where Wikipedia says only 20M speak Thai, you would think search volumes would be very low compared with more populous languages .... wrong!

a) For a start, 60M people in Thailand can speak Thai, its the official language, nobody gets taught to read and write "Iisaan" in school every day. So when typing Thai into the internet, its 60M not 20M. Any Thai can tell you that.

b) For "big volume" search terms that you can compare across the major IDN languages, Thai comes out very well. For both "music" and "games" it comes out top 5 or 6 in terms of absolute search numbers. We aren't talking Bulgaria or Hindi here (no offense either language), Thais are avid searchers for popular terms. I'm not publishing results for this as its part of a larger project but check out Google Insight if you want to do your own research here.

Sorry for the rant, I just get rather tired of seeing "top IDN destinations" and nobody ever seems to mention Thai as a possibility even. The "normal suspects" are fine, each has strengths and weaknesses, but when everyone is getting in a frenzy and the prices just keep going up and up, don't forget the "exotic alternatives" like Thailand, its not just a great vacation destination

And btw, I'm not selling anything here. My Thai IDNs are locked up now for the next 12 months at least. If I was on a sales drive, I would have written this before the auction.