IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Search Engine Optimization : SEO

Search Engine Optimization : SEO SEO techniques & discussion for IDN Domains.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2010, 10:18 PM

CapeBrenton is an unknown quantity at this point
Yandex and IDN

Anyone doing any work in this regard?
Particularly interested in how IDN exact match in the domain interrelates to Yandex algo.

Last edited by CapeBrenton; 21st January 2010 at 10:20 PM..
Old 21st January 2010, 10:19 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: Yandex and IDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeBrenton View Post
Anyone doing any work in this regard?
Particularly interested in how IDN interrelates to Yandex algo.
What's Yandex?
Old 21st January 2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
What's Yandex?
Is this a joke?

Last edited by CapeBrenton; 21st January 2010 at 10:26 PM..
Old 21st January 2010, 10:37 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
What's Yandex?
***Яндекс
Old 21st January 2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Is this a joke?
If I posted a list of people on this board that should not be taken seriously, the list would start with most of the admins/moderators and then when I posted it, I'd get a "this post has too many characters" error.

Short answer, yes.
Old 21st January 2010, 10:45 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200 View Post
***Яндекс
Oh, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification fka. They are out of Bulgaria aren't they?
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:13 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Particularly interested in how IDN exact match in the domain interrelates to Yandex algo.
There is no keyword to IDN domain matching, because doing that would give an advantage to IDN owners.

Doing so would disadvantage existing ascii domain sites, and Yandex decided not to do that, and has announced so.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 22nd January 2010 at 01:13 AM..
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:30 AM

Hmmm... Interesting issue. Very 'perspective dependant'.

Google, for example, definitely advantages ascii domains that exhibit an exact match to the search term... I guess what 'disadvantages' one 'advantages' another. Since the web is largely built on ascii, I suppose the Yandex decision makes sense, but in this particular case, provides very little practical incentive to own exact matching Russian idn keyword names, from an online marketing standpoint.

Last edited by CapeBrenton; 22nd January 2010 at 01:31 AM..
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:43 AM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
provides very little practical incentive to own exact matching Russian idn keyword names, from an online marketing standpoint.
Both Yandex and Google like well designed websites with content and links and lots of visitors.

A good keyword name will help with the visitors portion, (ie direct type-in traffic) A good keyword name is easy to remember, and is great for end-user sales.

I just read an article from a Russian domainer who as a final last ditch with ascii, has expounded his take on how to register names for Russian in the .ru space. Even though I don't agree with everything he says, there may be a few tips to pick up from his perspective: http://maulnet.ru/archives/10062
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:47 AM

And in ascii, an exact matching keyword domain (in addition to optimized content) provides what appears to be a rather meaningful boost in serps in G.

The Caffiene algo seems to be emphasizing this more than they did in years past. In very competitive spaces, the exact matching domain boost alone may be the difference between page one and the backwaters. As far as "end user sales" go, I've found that being able to tell them that the domain name itself provides a meaninfgul advantage in search engines has been one of the larger selling points, in those off times when I draw down the development portfolio and jettison a few names to end users to lighten the load.

This doesn't appear to be the case with IDN and Yandex, which leaves very little practical online marketing value to the name platform itself, from a development standpoint.

Last edited by CapeBrenton; 22nd January 2010 at 01:53 AM..
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:51 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
There is no keyword to IDN domain matching, because doing that would give an advantage to IDN owners.

Doing so would disadvantage existing ascii domain sites, and Yandex decided not to do that, and has announced so.
I'm hoping that Yandex will change their mind once .рф comes to life. In the meantime, my not-very accurate experiments suggest something like this:

Exact IDN keyword match helps a lot in Google. Yahoo seems to be language-dependent (Chinese IDNs appear to get more of a boost than Russian IDNs). Yandex not at all. But the mini-sites I used in my experiments are pretty minimal; people with real sites may have different results.

(Consider this an invitation to post results of your own experiments).

Avtal
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:55 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

I guess the concept of "exact term keyword matching" is relatively new to local language search engines ....

But then again, local languages have been available in sub-domains + directory names / filenames for a long time, so they must have algorithms to deal with them.

But yeah, you can see how a local search engine would not want to boost new IDN sites at the expense of older ASCII sites .....

Thankfully, Google isn't dealing with anything new here, so will keep boosting exact match domains.
Old 22nd January 2010, 04:04 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Do you really think top placement in Yandex is the result of an algorithm?

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 22nd January 2010 at 04:05 AM..
Old 22nd January 2010, 04:08 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
And in ascii, an exact matching keyword domain (in addition to optimized content) provides what appears to be a rather meaningful boost in serps in G.

The Caffiene algo seems to be emphasizing this more than they did in years past. In very competitive spaces, the exact matching domain boost alone may be the difference between page one and the backwaters. As far as "end user sales" go, I've found that being able to tell them that the domain name itself provides a meaninfgul advantage in search engines has been one of the larger selling points, in those off times when I draw down the development portfolio and jettison a few names to end users to lighten the load.

This doesn't appear to be the case with IDN and Yandex, which leaves very little practical online marketing value to the name platform itself, from a development standpoint.
Solution? Buy Thai IDNs not Russian. See my sig for very clear demonstration of what you are referring to.
Old 22nd January 2010, 04:41 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Do you really think top placement in Yandex is the result of an algorithm?
Yea, it's called the xKGB algorithm based on the famous I. Bribe theory.