IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:05 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Russian Experts say .rf will be a failure!

Quote:
"You'll see - a year the whole of Moscow will be papered with advertisements with the instructions of domains written in Cyrillic", - stated during an internet conference, the head of the Coordination Center for TLD RU Andrei Kolesnikov. "To date, recorded almost 9 thousand domain names in". Russia ", - confirms his words CEO Alexei Reg.ru Korolyuk.
I love the sound of that. :D

Quote:
However, according to experts, language restrictions castrates essence of the Internet, so the idea of a new domain ". RF" doomed to failure. Internet - an international thing. Domains in other languages is very difficult to introduce overseas, and the Internet was created for everyone and should be, what would everyone can get access to its content ", - says Denis Timofeev. The same view was expressed by the chief editor of the Internet newspaper Russland-Aktuell Gizbert Mrozek. "Most users can learn at least the Latin letters for the recruitment of the domain name", - the expert believes. According to him, the Internet is a kind of window in Russia, and now trying to narrow it. But such Internet - watered-down and boring - not will be interesting to users. Therefore he will not enjoy great success.
First. Who goes to a Russian site that doesn't speak Russian? **Crickets Chirping**

Second. Dudes, the .com's already get awesome traffic. .RF will be the ignition.

I love it when "experts" get involved.

In Russian: http://www.rosbalt.ru/2010/02/03/709572.html
In English: Link
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:13 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Russian Experts say .rf will be a failure!

"However, according to experts, language restrictions castrates essence of the Internet, so the idea of a new domain ". RF" doomed to failure. Internet - an international thing."

haha...thier first 2 sentences are the exact evidence to in fact support multilanguage internet!! its exactly language restrictions of so many people who dont speak English and the fact that internet is an international phenomenon = makes a very strong case for other languages to be introduced. Why does a farmer or a student in China or Russia should be reading and writing blogs and/or transacting flowers or music in English and not in thier languages??!!
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

There is tons of content in Russian, Chinese, Japanese, etc, but these folks rally against the domains being in their native language. Makes no sense.
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:26 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
its exactly language restrictions of so many people who dont speak English and the fact that internet is an international phenomenon = makes a very strong case for other languages to be introduced. Why does a farmer or a student in China or Russia should be reading and writing blogs and/or transacting flowers or music in English and not in thier languages??!!
That's what this guy says.

Quote:
There was also a presentation on internationalised domain names (IDNs) from Leonid Todorov from the Coordination Centre for TLD RU who explained the difficulties for Russian users in having to use only Latin characters for domain names. With a very small number of English speakers, especially in the more remote regions, and no adequate Latin/Cyrllic script translation, particularly relating to international trademarks, the introduction of IDNs will be of huge benefit to internet users in the country.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/201002...abling_dnssec/

I never thought I'd see so many people against their own language.

It's simple really. For those that have an international readership and translate articles in English. Use your Ascii for them and a Russian domain for locals. For those that are strictly Russian sites only. A Russian domain name is the way to go. The traffic already proves that.

But then many won't realize it until it's too late and blame it on "squatters" because they didn't get the name they wanted to when they could have. Oh well.
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Expert?

Well a Spurt is a Drip under Pressure, and Ex indicates a "Has Been".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
I love the sound of that. :D

First. Who goes to a Russian site that doesn't speak Russian? **Crickets Chirping**

Second. Dudes, the .com's already get awesome traffic. .RF will be the ignition.

I love it when "experts" get involved.

In Russian: http://www.rosbalt.ru/2010/02/03/709572.html
In English: Link
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Expert?

Well a Spurt is a Drip under Pressure, and Ex indicates a "Has Been".
I just checked Gizbert Mrozek out.

http://Russland-Aktuell.ru - He runs a German news website out of Russia. It won't even affect him anyways. lol. This is their expert?
Old 3rd February 2010, 06:27 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Never trust experts ... is ... my expert opinion.
Old 3rd February 2010, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

It'll affect his ascii domain portfolio, maybe.
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:41 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Gizbert Mrozek has been widely quoted in the press as a "German journalist".

Quote:
German journalist Gizbert Mrozek speaks with Reuters television in his Moscow office September 8, 2000
Quote:
German journalist Gizbert Mrozek of the Rundfunk Nachrichten Nachrichten Agentur gesturing during an interview with Reuters television in his Moscow office
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Gizbert Mrozek has been widely quoted in the press as a "German journalist".
I just found it ironic. He's telling the Russian people that they should just learn latin letters to navigate the web and yet he translates Russian news to Germans. Why don't they just learn Cyrillic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Never trust experts ... is ... my expert opinion.
I see what you did there.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:05 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

2010 is going to be a strange year...

german experts on russian news for germans commenting as an expert for .rf and .po use.......go figure ???

German expertise on Russia real estate (collectivized or virtual )
expired with operation 'Barbarrossa' with 3 armies on 3 fronts stretching 1000 miles north to south.:D

Arabic experts soon to expound of their nation's cctld being the next dot DE for the Arab world ....and" idn.com/ idn.net's are shams" is likely to start.

China via the FT article in another thread has the dot cn individual licensing kerfuffle, and 30% movement to dot com and 75%+ abandonment or forced closure by the gov.

India experts are likely to keep pressing the case for ASCII dot in.
second level and third level etc...
and the elitism continued for English.

and the gnso /ccnso coordination shuffles slowly.....

s/
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
You got that right. All hell is going to break loose when cctlds go live. Russia being the first.

Quote:
That's a nicer way than I would have said it.

------------------------------------

Not related to the article but I found this interesting. For someone being involved with Internet law and Internet Tech in general they sure don't know much.

Um... It's not the browsers lady.

http://alenapopova.com/biography/

But hot damn!

I took her poll too. :D
Old 4th February 2010, 01:09 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The same view was expressed by the chief editor of the Internet newspaper Russland-Aktuell Gizbert Mrozek.
http://www.russland-aktuell.com/ doesn't even have a website.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 4th February 2010 at 01:10 AM..
Old 4th February 2010, 08:02 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well, I have noticed a big increment in traffic, but not clicks in last few days. It is all focused on Arabic, Russia no change, and it is coming from the US. Go figure! That looks like mining from where I am standing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post

german experts on russian news for germans commenting as an expert for .rf and .po use.......go figure ???

German expertise on Russia real estate (collectivized or virtual )
expired with operation 'Barbarrossa' with 3 armies on 3 fronts stretching 1000 miles north to south.:D

Arabic experts soon to expound of their nation's cctld being the next dot DE for the Arab world ....and" idn.com/ idn.net's are shams" is likely to start.

China via the FT article in another thread has the dot cn individual licensing kerfuffle, and 30% movement to dot com and 75%+ abandonment or forced closure by the gov.

India experts are likely to keep pressing the case for ASCII dot in.
second level and third level etc...
and the elitism continued for English.

s/
Old 4th February 2010, 07:41 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Well, I have noticed a big increment in traffic, but not clicks in last few days. It is all focused on Arabic, Russia no change, and it is coming from the US. Go figure! That looks like mining from where I am standing.
lot's of mining these days... it's interesting to see what people are interested in.