IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:59 PM

bleu is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie Here

Hi all,

This is my first post on idnforums so would like to take the opportunity to say hello to everyone and put a question or two forward.

I've been following IDN's for a little while now but only recently decided to take the plunge and invest in a few. As with anything I've come across mixed opinions so I suppose my big question is, is there a real opportunity with them? There's the obvious issues around browser compatibility, IDN.IDN, email support etc, but also having been available for registration for several years (gTLD's) I guess you'd expect that the best names would be gone and from the research I've done this seems to be the case.

My second question is simply what makes a good / valuable IDN? I've been playing around with SE results, CPC, reverse translation, and a whole host of other things but not convinced how important these things really are when determining the value of an IDN?

Apart from that, glad to be here and look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Thanks

Bleu
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:05 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbie Here

Hello and welcome to the forums. I'll take a crack at your first question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu View Post
is there a real opportunity with them?
None.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:14 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Totaly worthless, don't even waist your time. Welcome to the forums.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Welcome, and thanks for introducing yourself.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:40 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Welcome!
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:53 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

We just post here to waste time and discuss idns... No real value in them... Some of our members have 6000 of these darn thingys... It's kinda hard to kick the habit. ya know $40,000 isn't much to blow a year in renewal fees right? It is a good hobby...

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 3rd February 2010 at 08:53 PM..
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:47 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
This is my first post on idnforums so would like to take the opportunity to say hello to everyone and put a question or two forward.
Hi. I see you've been introduced to some of our inmates already.

Quote:
I've been following IDN's for a little while now but only recently decided to take the plunge and invest in a few. As with anything I've come across mixed opinions so I suppose my big question is, is there a real opportunity with them?
I won't bother answering that - you should try and answer that for yourself. Take a read of the archives on this forum.

Quote:
but also having been available for registration for several years (gTLD's)
In com/net etc they've been available since 2000.

Quote:
I guess you'd expect that the best names would be gone and from the research I've done this seems to be the case.
What do you mean by "best"?
The top 10 keywords? yes of course.

A lot of people still think there is opportunity in English dot coms, and there's 80millon of those registered catering largely to an English speaking audience.

Theres less than a million IDNs registered today catering for 293 languages.. you can do the math and decide if the well is dry

Quote:
My second question is simply what makes a good / valuable IDN? I've been playing around with SE results, CPC, reverse translation, and a whole host of other things but not convinced how important these things really are when determining the value of an IDN?
Again, have a read of the forums, see what sells, and why it sells and what metrics people are referencing. I think you'll find many parallels with ascii gTLDs
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:10 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Hi. I see you've been introduced to some of our inmates already.
Classic
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:43 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprewellpj View Post
Classic
We'll put him in a cell with RD as the guard and he'll be forced to hear anti U.S. propaganda. We won't let him out either!
Old 4th February 2010, 03:20 AM

DomainDialect is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, look what just "bleu" in. Welcome and good luck!
Old 4th February 2010, 08:28 AM

Okey dokey. Not the best of starts but hey-ho, hold my hands up to a poor first question. No harm intended.

I guess what I was really getting at was:

I'm new to the game. I've done some reading up and like what I hear but by nature am a sceptic. I'm here because I want to be involved in something exciting, early on, and with potential. I understand IDN's have been around for a while so kind of thinking I've missed the boat. My question should have been more like 'is there still an opportunity for newbie's like me' as opposed to 'is there one at all'. Fair point alpha, it is upto me to decide, just being a newbie (and indecisive on top of sceptic - no fun being me some days) suppose I was looking to some of the industry pro's for a bit of guidance, maybe even a reality check. Again fair point, I should poke through the archives for answers first. Will do this.

Apart from that, thanks for the welcome messages, I'll try to post with a bit more thought and decorum in future

Wish me luck!!
Old 4th February 2010, 08:43 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Hey,the long term inmates (lifers most of them ) were very kind to you.

Imagine what they would be like if they were unwelcoming!

Welcome and good luck.
Old 4th February 2010, 08:49 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. Most of the good keywords and/or with high search volume have already been scooped in most popular languages. However, I believe there is still a window of opportunity (not sure how long this will remain open) for people who are new to buy off from the resale market, at fairly decent price which includes IDNF.com . Best of luck

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 4th February 2010 at 08:51 AM..
Old 4th February 2010, 09:19 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Hi Bleu,

Welcome to the forum,

I will mention one important thing to keep in mind as you do your research. IDN's must be considered in the context of each individual language or script which usually means in the context of a particular country, culture and economy.

It is usually best to start with one language and learn as much about it, and how IDN's will affect that country's population.

One thing that is consistent is that people prefer to communicate in their own language.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

Last edited by Clotho; 4th February 2010 at 09:20 AM..
Old 4th February 2010, 12:49 PM

zaclondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to zaclondon

Quote:
My question should have been more like 'is there still an opportunity for newbie's like me' as opposed to 'is there one at all'.
There are PLENTY of opportunies left: handreg, after market and drops. The latter two being the better options.

Get out there and bag some future riches.
Old 4th February 2010, 05:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome messages and advice. It all counts when you're new!
Old 4th February 2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaclondon View Post
There are PLENTY of opportunies left: handreg, after market and drops. The latter two being the better options.

Get out there and bag some future riches.
where? :P in what language? swalli
Old 4th February 2010, 11:21 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
where? :P in what language? swalli
Zac did say drops and aftermarket were the preferred options. Hard to argue with that.

handreg in 2010? depends how *much* you believe in IDNs. If you think they will be the "norm" in 5 years, of course there are many still to hand reg.
Old 5th February 2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Zac did say drops and aftermarket were the preferred options. Hard to argue with that.

handreg in 2010? depends how *much* you believe in IDNs. If you think they will be the "norm" in 5 years, of course there are many still to hand reg.
what nice "drops"
Old 5th February 2010, 03:45 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
what nice "drops"
Ah .... I wouldn't know about that ....... I stayed out of the IDN drop game due to "popular demand"

Last edited by domainguru; 5th February 2010 at 03:48 AM..