IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2010, 01:23 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
IDN TLDs: pre-registrations, declined requests, etc. - Tina Dam

Quote:
IDN TLDs: pre-registrations, declined requests, and other misconceptions

Recent statements and speculations have been made concerning the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process and related issues. People seem to be most concerned about:

• ICANN denying some countries/territories access to the Fast Track Process
• ICANN approving IDN ccTLDs
• The notion of pre-registrations in new TLDs
This blog post is intended to set the record straight on these matters.

Is ICANN denying access to the Fast Track Process?

Let me be very clear: The Fast Track Process for submitting requests for IDN ccTLD strings is available to all eligible countries and territories. Statements like ICANN has refused IDN ccTLDs to some countries are incorrect. ICANN encourages eligible countries and territories to participate in the process and submit their IDN ccTLD requests.

This is an exciting new opportunity for Internet users around the world, and we would like to see as many users being served by these new initiatives as possible and as are deemed useful.

ICANN also has a support function in place at idncctldrequest@icann.org for interested parties.

So far, ICANN has received 17 requests encompassing 10 languages. These numbers will be updated from time to time at http://icann.org/en/topics/idn/fast-track/.

To comply with the confidentiality requirements of the process, ICANN cannot disclose any additional information. We cannot state whether a particular request has been received, or how far along the process a request is. We understand that the public has a great deal of interest in potential future IDN ccTLDs, and therefore some requesting entities have elected to publicly disclose information about their requests.

However, the only time ICANN can make information available about a request is after it successfully passes the String Evaluation step.

What strings are ‘approved’ and what does it mean?

Four IDN ccTLD strings were recently announced as successfully completing the String Evaluation step of the Fast Track Process. These requests are associated with Egypt, the Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. The full announcement is here: http://icann.org/en/announcements/an...21jan10-en.htm.

However, passing the String Evaluation step is not the same as saying that ICANN approved these TLDs. These four entities must go through the final step in the Fast Track Process – String Delegation. The String Delegation step must be initiated by the respective country or territory, and that can only be done with requests that have successfully met the String Evaluation criteria. String Delegation follows the same ICANN IANA process that is used for ASCII-based ccTLDs, and thus String Delegation requests are submitted to IANA root zone management.

Only after String Delegation takes place will these TLDs be in the DNS root zone, and only then can resolutions requests against them be performed. In other words, this is when domains can be registered and used.
Has ICANN authorized pre-registration of TLD domain names?
ICANN has not authorized pre-registration of domain names in any potential future TLDs.

The reason is simple: There is no way to be sure that a certain string will become a TLD and hence available for domain name registration until all steps in the associated evaluation and delegation processes are successfully completed.

ICANN has previously posted warnings concerning speculative pre-registrations, and those warnings are still informative. You can review them at http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/icann-pr29sep00.htm
http://blog.icann.org/2010/02/idn-tl...-requests-etc/
Old 6th February 2010, 04:14 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: IDN TLDs: pre-registrations, declined requests, etc. - Tina Dam

I guess I'll go first.

Is Icann pulling a, "Hey, we didn't tell Russia they could sell these yet!" with this statement?

It seems that way to me.

Or is it "If it hits the fan, it wasn't us." move?

Quote:
Has ICANN authorized pre-registration of TLD domain names?

ICANN has not authorized pre-registration of domain names in any potential future TLDs.

The reason is simple: There is no way to be sure that a certain string will become a TLD and hence available for domain name registration until all steps in the associated evaluation and delegation processes are successfully completed.

ICANN has previously posted warnings concerning speculative pre-registrations, and those warnings are still informative. You can review them at http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/icann-pr29sep00.htm

The Russian registry has already stated it's plans and that .rf will be it. It's already pre-regging them. It's made a public statement these are for trademark holders and when they expect to go live in the root. Is Icann just covering their ass in case things don't work out that way?
Old 6th February 2010, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

CORE took pre-registrations for a whole bunch of new TLD's they thought they were going to get in the pre-ICANN days, and then the mou-gTLD failed, ICANN was born, half of CORE's people got elected to positions of power at ICANN, and nothing was done ever about CORE not providing any refunds.

So ICANN aren't really in any position to complain about ccTLD's doing preregistrations and they have no power in that area anyway.
Old 6th February 2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
So ICANN aren't really in any position to complain about ccTLD's doing preregistrations and they have no power in that area anyway.
Technically though we are pre-registering domains in future extensions. If domainers and companies are registering domains based off of what Chuck Gomes said. That .com and .net will be aliased. Then all IDN are pre-regs for future TLDs based off of Tina's comment. Note she doesn't just say ccTLDs only TLDs.

Quote:
So if I register or buy a Russian domain believing that one day it'll become .ком or whatever Verisign decides. Isn't that the same thing?
Old 6th February 2010, 06:21 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
So if I register or buy a Russian domain believing that one day it'll become .ком or whatever Verisign decides. Isn't that the same thing?
One big difference is that you have something that works today. And little chance of the domain going poof.
Old 6th February 2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive View Post
One big difference is that you have something that works today. And little chance of the domain going poof.
+1 - Point taken.

But there are still many major issues confronting our IDN that haven't been resolved and are holding IDN back from major development that aren't a problem with Ascii. The biggest problem being e-mail. I'm also pre-registering them based on the belief that soon this won't be a problem and will work. But we still have no timeline on how these issues will be resolved.
Old 6th February 2010, 06:44 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
+1 - Point taken.

But there are still many major issues confronting our IDN that haven't been resolved and are holding IDN back from major development that aren't a problem with Ascii. The biggest problem being e-mail. I'm also pre-registering them based on the belief that soon this won't be a problem and will work. But we still have no timeline on how these issues will be resolved.
but that's why you are able to reg/buy at the prices you do today.

if the future was known, then ppl like us wouldn't have seen any action whatsoever.

so it simply comes down to the age old risk & reward
Old 6th February 2010, 06:57 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Email isn't holding IDN back from major development. Email has no effect on whether your IDN resolves, is indexed or can be typed in and thus advertised. Granted email will help but it isn't required.

If you pick the right country even the extension as .com isn't an impediment to development.
Old 6th February 2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
Email isn't holding IDN back from major development. Email has no effect on whether your IDN resolves, is indexed or can be typed in and thus advertised. Granted email will help but it isn't required.

If you pick the right country even the extension as .com isn't an impediment to development.
I agree with the marketing and advertising aspect. On that front they are ready to go.

But IDN won't become be recognized until native users and companies can have their IDN show up in the inboxes of everyone's emails. Everyone uses email.

Right now you can advertise and use IDN but have to email in Ascii. I do see this as major drawback and reason native companies aren't adopting them for their main sites. When these email show up as IDN in millions of people's inboxes they will become aware of them and use them on a daily basis. But how far off are we from this becoming reality?

Icann needs to clarify a few things. Hopefully, come March. It won't be another butt scratching meeting for Icann. I also see Russia's FCFS for .rf during this meeting as a "FU" to Icann.
Old 6th February 2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
but that's why you are able to reg/buy at the prices you do today.

if the future was known, then ppl like us wouldn't have seen any action whatsoever.

so it simply comes down to the age old risk & reward
Agreed. It's been a blessing and a curse. But how long must we wait until Icann gets moving?
Old 6th February 2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Note she doesn't just say ccTLDs only TLDs.
ccTLD's are sovereign.

If ICANN started pushing it's weight around demanding ccTLD's to not take pre-registrations, GAC would explode.

That's why Tina just says "TLD's". Because now if anyone complains, she can say "I was thinking of gTLD's when I said that".

If she had said "ccTLD's" she would be in a world of hurt right about now.
Old 6th February 2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
ccTLD's are sovereign.

If ICANN started pushing it's weight around demanding ccTLD's to not take pre-registrations, GAC would explode.

That's why Tina just says "TLD's". Because now if anyone complains, she can say "I was thinking of gTLD's when I said that".

If she had said "ccTLD's" she would be in a world of hurt right about now.
I got it now. Thanks Drewbert for the explanation.

IMHO, This blog post does nothing. Icann has just proved how unneeded they are. I just love the fact that the .RF registry is going to use the Icann Nairobi meeting as the platform to announce their FCFS globally. This is going to be awesome.