IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:38 AM

Burger is an unknown quantity at this point
ь.com (xn--11a.com)

Hi, can anyone comment on what single Russian letters could be worth? thanks, Burger
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:21 PM

Sunny is an unknown quantity at this pointSunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ь.com (xn--11a.com)

This is one of the worst Russian letters, but still is a letter, so I guess the value will depend on traffic.
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:28 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanakreon View Post
This is one of the worst Russian letters, but still is a letter, so I guess the value will depend on traffic.
but as you know, most single-letter traffic converts to practically nothing. I think, in the end, single-letter domains will be sold for "branding / rarity", traffic will rarely if ever convert to decent dosh ......
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
but as you know, most single-letter traffic converts to practically nothing. I think, in the end, single-letter domains will be sold for "branding / rarity", traffic will rarely if ever convert to decent dosh ......
I sympathize with this view but my single characters are amongst my top earners simply because the level of traffic is so high that it easily compensate for poor conversion rates. I am not actually sure if it is even conceivably possible to have a more informed opinion than my own.
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
I sympathize with this view but my single characters are amongst my top earners simply because the level of traffic is so high that it easily compensate for poor conversion rates. I am not actually sure if it is even conceivably possible to have a more informed opinion than my own.
Of course there may be reasons why single characters are unlikely to get any traffic:

Quote:
The soft sign (Ь, ь), also known as (the front) yer, is a letter of the Cyrillic alphabet. In Old Church Slavonic, it represented a short (or "reduced") front vowel. As with its companion, the back yer, the vowel phoneme it designated was later partly dropped and partly merged with other vowels. In the modern Slavic Cyrillic writing systems (all East-Slavic plus Bulgarian and Church Slavic), it does not represent an individual sound, but rather indicates softening (palatalization) of the preceding consonant or (less commonly) just has a traditional orthographic usage with no phonetic meaning (like Russian туш 'flourish after a toast' and тушь 'India ink', both pronounced [tuʂ], but different in grammatical gender and declension). Also, it has a function of "separation sign": in Russian, vowels after the soft sign are pronounced separately from the previous consonant and are iotated (compare Russian льют [lʲjut] '(they) pour/cast' and лют [lʲut] '(he is) fierce').

Among Slavic languages, the soft sign has the most limited use in Bulgarian: since 1945, the only possible position is one between consonants and <о> (for example, in names Жельо, Кръстьо, and Гьончо).

The Cyrillic variant of the Serbo-Croatian language (Vukovica) has had no soft sign since the mid-19th century: palatalization is represented by special consonant letters instead of this sign (some of these letters, such as Њ or Љ, were designed as ligatures with the soft sign). The modern Macedonian writing system, based on the Serbo-Croatian variant, has had no soft sign since its creation in 1944.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%AC

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 22nd February 2010 at 01:51 PM..
Old 22nd February 2010, 03:19 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
agree.

My и dot com (not a junk letter) gets a serious amount of traffic and converts at ~2%

I imagine the clicks It did get are a result of people dropping the mouse or other obscure random events such as dying in front of the PC and falling face first onto the keyboard/mouse

Last edited by alpha; 22nd February 2010 at 03:19 PM..
Old 22nd February 2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
I am not actually sure if it is even conceivably possible to have a more informed opinion than my own.
Poetry.
Old 22nd February 2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Poetry.
Indeed, but the remark was intended to relate solely to the traffic on single-character domains.
Old 22nd February 2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

You are the King of single char domains. No doubting that.

The ASCII boys are going to crap their pants one day, when they see what they missed out on.
Old 22nd February 2010, 06:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
You are the King of single char domains. No doubting that.

The ASCII boys are going to crap their pants one day, when they see what they missed out on.
No doubt, and I am sure those that have realized are still waiting for the to drop at Snapnames. However, as we are now all renewed up as far as the 38th Meeting in Bruxelles, I guess they are in for a long cold and ultimately fruitless watch.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 22nd February 2010 at 06:11 PM..
Old 22nd February 2010, 06:45 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

This is one of those letters that doesn't stand alone.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 22nd February 2010 at 06:46 PM..
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:16 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post

I imagine the clicks It did get are a result of people dropping the mouse or other obscure random events such as dying in front of the PC and falling face first onto the keyboard/mouse
lol. yes for now. but remember how things change so quickly in this technologically advancing world...

In the future, most clicks will come from people throwing doughnuts and other random titibits for their dog to eat, missing, and hitting their Windows 7 touch screens instead.

And yeah, I know "doughnuts" is a bit old-world ASCII, the precise nature of the food will vary with the market ....

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "sticky website" as well (ouch).

Last edited by domainguru; 23rd February 2010 at 12:35 AM..
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
that's why I said "most" the top single-letter domains for the top markets will do "just fine" in PPC terms. But I still imagine you won't be selling them based on PPC multiples when the right people in those countries realize what an IDN is ....