IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2010, 10:12 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
VeriSign’s Plans for “.Com IDNs” Become Clearer

Interesting blog post over at DNW.. not sure if Andrew is quoting another article or whether he interviewed Verisign himself.

Quote:
“Nothing is in concrete yet,” said Chuck Gomes, Vice President of Policy and Compliance for VeriSign Information Services. “But I think it’s a pretty well agreed-to plan.”
Quote:
“We want the .com name to be a unique experience for .com regardless of what script you do it in,” said Gomes.
Quote:
The same goes for .net.
Quote:
“I can say that the business unit is considering applying for ’several’ IDN versions of .com in some of the scripts that are available.”
I read that as not all languages. Assuming Verisign has to pay like all the other gTLD applications, then you can assume only the mainstream languages will be applied for.
Question is, how is that determined, population or current reg levels in com, or GDP.. or something else. Interesting times ahead IMO

Link

Last edited by alpha; 26th February 2010 at 10:22 PM..
Old 26th February 2010, 10:35 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: VeriSign’s Plans for “.Com IDNs” Become Clearer

Interesting stuff with respect to landing the IDN TLD contract and losing the ASCII one. Perhaps Verisign has an interest in delaying IDNCOM and IDNNET... ?
Old 26th February 2010, 10:38 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Interesting stuff with respect to landing the IDN TLD contract and losing the ASCII one. Perhaps Verisign has an interest in delaying IDNCOM and IDNNET... ?
actually I was thinking the opposite.. surely landing various IDN TLD contracts strengthens their case for retaining the ASCII one; because a split would be real messy. The ASCII one is up in 2012?
Old 26th February 2010, 10:41 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
actually I was thinking the opposite.. surely landing various IDN TLD contracts strengthens their case for retaining the ASCII one; because a split would be real messy. The ASCII one is up in 2012?
The fact that they need to charge us more is bs.. They are already raising fees in a few months. I guess the crackerjack CEOs of both Verisign and ICANN need new yachts.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:43 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
The fact that they need to charge us more is bs.. They are already raising fees in a few months. I guess the crackerjack CEOs of both Verisign and ICANN need new yachts.
who cares. Unless you have domains not worth 2x regfee
Old 26th February 2010, 10:45 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

It doesn't matter to the registrant. Even if Verisign manages 55%, Afilias manages 12% and Neustar the additional 33% all the variants of my names will resolve where i want them to resolve.
Also, Can anyone explain how this may happen?
Old 26th February 2010, 10:45 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Verisign has no interest in delaying IDNCOM as it doesn't help their bottom line. IDNCOM will be tied to AsciiCOM. They will get two registration fees for the price of one. Hence "MO money MO money MO money!" for them.

Thanks Alpha.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:28 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Comment from David J Castello:

If I read this correctly, it sounds like a trademark nightmare. In other words, Hotels.com won’t automatically get first ctack at Hotels.com in all non-Latin characters?
Old 26th February 2010, 11:29 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

This is bad news for Runic IDN.IDN.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 26th February 2010 at 11:30 PM..
Old 26th February 2010, 11:30 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post

If I read this correctly, it sounds like a trademark nightmare. In other words, Hotels.com won’t automatically get first ctack at Hotels.com in all non-Latin characters?
why would they want hotels . native language anyway :P
Old 26th February 2010, 11:34 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:

uh ?
Old 26th February 2010, 11:34 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
why would they want hotels . native language anyway :P
yeah, I'm sure I remember a few years back reading comments from guys like him that IDN was junk anyway.

I could be mistaken of course, my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
yeah, I'm sure I remember a few years back reading comments from guys like him that IDN was junk anyway.

These same people are going to go after hotels.com in multiple languages claiming they own them.

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 26th February 2010 at 11:42 PM..
Old 26th February 2010, 11:57 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
These same people are going to go after hotels.com in multiple languages claiming they own them.
Then they are confused.

I'll borrow the example I think that thefabfive used last time we had this same discussion raised by Castello on a different blog on the same topic last year.

Does the owner of Car.com own Voiture.com (French for Car)
Does the owner of Car.com have a right to Voiture.com

Why would it be any different when dealing with other languages that don't use ascii

It's BS. and smells of desperation.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Then they are confused.

I'll borrow the example I think that thefabfive used last time we had this same discussion raised by Castello on a different blog on the same topic last year.

Why would it be any different when dealing with other languages that don't use ascii

He does not seem educated in the subject matter unfortunately.... With all of the conventions (Traffic, DomainFest) he goes to you would think he would know more about it. I thought these conventions were attended by some of the brightest in the industry.

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 27th February 2010 at 12:33 AM..
Old 27th February 2010, 12:01 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Best part: "As of right now, that looks like a good bet." when referring to our portfolios

Worts part: "It creates some complications". IN ICANN LANGUAGE THIS TRANSLATES IN MANY, MANY DRAFTS, WORKSHOPS, COMMISSIONS, DISCUSSION GROUPS, PAPERS, HELL and BACK... YEARS, YEARS, YEARS... oh God....

Last edited by jose; 27th February 2010 at 12:02 AM..
Old 27th February 2010, 12:05 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Then they are confused.

How about this: グーグル ?

I've heard some have "car.com" trademarks.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:20 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
who cares. Unless you have domains not worth 2x regfee
Exactly. Once this takes off, we will care about as much as those paying $35 dollars at Netsol.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:23 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

This guy needs to stop inhaling through a straw.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:26 AM
Veteran

Quote:

No but they will be on record out there somewhere, which would just about scupper any attempts at WIPO they might aspire to.