IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > Noms de Domaine Français

Noms de Domaine Français IDN talk for French IDN Domains.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 06:33 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 489
aboujouj83 is an unknown quantity at this point
some info needed

I started registering arabic domains after discovering this forums. Now I am curious about the french domains...I also speak french, so I am wondering if you guys think there is a potential in french domains. Please share your experience here.

Thanks,
GSA
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 06:48 AM
Semi-retired
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,531
iTrader: (57)
Rep Power: 3430
alpha has disabled reputation
Re: some info needed

Yes definately. It is a European Country - of course there is value there.

But I think you will find that it has been harvested already.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:08 AM
dabsi's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy
Re: some info needed

In my opinion, French Domains are the best running IDNs.
Accents are a must in french (marche = walk and marché = market) and the resulting trafic is our main fact.

Most important argument: if , par malheur, ICAAN would take the IDN.IDN option (a nightmare for all arab, russian and non-latin IDDNs), french would remain.

Last but not least; transactions on that language are booming.

Salut

DABSI (www.meilleursnoms.com)
__________________
www.goldenidn.com ONLY premium domains
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:19 AM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1248
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: some info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
In my opinion, French Domains are the best running IDNs.
Accents are a must in french (marche = walk and marché = market) and the resulting trafic is our main fact.

Most important argument: if , par malheur, ICAAN would take the IDN.IDN option (a nightmare for all arab, russian and non-latin IDDNs), french would remain.

Last but not least; transactions on that language are booming.

Salut

DABSI (www.meilleursnoms.com)

What kind of traffic are you getting? How about Spanish idns, how do you know if French is better than Spanish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
Most important argument: if , par malheur, ICAAN would take the IDN.IDN option (a nightmare for all arab, russian and non-latin IDDNs), french would remain.
I've considered this, this wouldn't affect chinese idns very much - in fact, we can't even decide among ourselves, what is the best .com for for idn.idn. It will affect languages where .com isn't strong, e.g. Russian, Hebrew, Greek, etc. I'm not so sure about Arabic since i do not know that language.

Last edited by touchring; 2nd May 2006 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:32 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4499
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: some info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
In my opinion, French Domains are the best running IDNs.
Accents are a must in french (marche = walk and marché = market) and the resulting trafic is our main fact.

Most important argument: if , par malheur, ICAAN would take the IDN.IDN option (a nightmare for all arab, russian and non-latin IDDNs), french would remain.

Last but not least; transactions on that language are booming.

Salut

DABSI (www.meilleursnoms.com)
You need to brush up on IDN.IDN because you have clearly totally misunderstood the concept. All holders of Arabic and Russian IDN are praying for the early adoption of IDN.IDN.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:38 AM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1248
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: some info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
You need to brush up on IDN.IDN because you have clearly totally misunderstood the concept. All holders of Arabic and Russian IDN are praying for the early adoption of IDN.IDN.

He is referring to the introduction of idn.idn as distinct domains from idn.com. The issue of DNAME versus ... i forgot the term.

Last edited by touchring; 2nd May 2006 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:43 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4499
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: some info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
He is referring to the introduction of idn.idn as distinct domains from idn.com.
Frankly, that is not something I will loose any sleep over. Even if there was the willingness to go down this path, the time frame is now too short for it to be a serious option. Look how long it took to launch dot EU, at least three years!
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 12:40 PM
dabsi's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy
Re: some info needed

The trafic with french IDNS is respectable and for good names we get up-to 400 views per day.
Number of potential French IDNs is much more higher than the spanish one; this is due to different combinations you get in french, with é, è, ê, ç, and so on. And french domains applies also fo the whole Francophonie world which consists on a huge market including, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Quebec, North and Western Africa.

As to EU domains trafic has already start to jump


DABSI
__________________
www.goldenidn.com ONLY premium domains
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 12:46 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4499
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: some info needed

Well, if you are basing your argument for higher adoption of French IDN over Spanish IDN purely on global reach, then you have already lost the argument, and a great deal of credibility along with it.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 12:56 PM
dabsi's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy
Re: some info needed

Just be realistic;

How many Russian, or Chinese, or Arabs will type words which are directly translated from an English/American mind and way of life. This is a science and not a hobby.

My feeling is that there is lot of industrial registring of IDNs hoping to become a millionaire just with a dictionary online and overture.....

Fact is that french and spanish are latin languages such as the com and net extensions are. And the resulting trafic is already generating cash. Did you have ever tried to type on a browser window first in latin, then in chinese ore arabic, then again com in latin?

As to the credibility, leave it to experts; they know how to assess our views.

DABSI
__________________
www.goldenidn.com ONLY premium domains
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 01:00 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4499
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: some info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
Just be realistic;

How many Russian, or Chinese, or Arabs will type words which are directly translated from an English/American mind and way of life. This is a science and not a hobby.

My feeling is that there is lot of industrial registring of IDNs hoping to become a millionaire just with a dictionary online and overture.....

Fact is that french and spanish are latin languages such as the com and net extensions are. And the resulting trafic is already generating cash. Did you have ever tried to type on a browser window first in latin, then in chinese ore arabic, then again com in latin?

As to the credibility, leave it to experts; they know how to assess our views.

DABSI
Latin domains are a side show, if you were an expert, you would understand that!
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 01:23 PM
dabsi's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy
Re: some info needed

I was responding to Aboujou regarding french IDN; accept this.
Your knowledge is valuable, but accept other views.

It's only a question of culture again: annuity.com has been sold for USD 0,6 mio. but we dropped annuité.com because of it's non-existing trafic.

Again, what works in the US and UK, can not be automaticly implemented elsewhere. That applies also for domains. And newcomers like you needs also this lesson.

Regards

DABSI
__________________
www.goldenidn.com ONLY premium domains
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 2nd May 2006, 01:30 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4499
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: some info needed

Well to suggest especially to new comers that you need to be a linguistic expert is totally misleading. The only language I have an intimate knowledge of is French and I have only one or two drops to by credit.

Spanish is globally a much more significant language than French. It covers most of South and Central America. The French Empire was a pathetic affair, as everything else was more or less taken by the British, who were so over extended that they neglected the more hostile and improverished bits of Africa.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
I was responding to Aboujou regarding french IDN; accept this.
Your knowledge is valuable, but accept other views.

It's only a question of culture again: annuity.com has been sold for USD 0,6 mio. but we dropped annuité.com because of it's non-existing trafic.

Again, what works in the US and UK, can not be automaticly implemented elsewhere. That applies also for domains. And newcomers like you needs also this lesson.

Regards

DABSI
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 3rd May 2006, 03:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
ennuyé is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: some info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
The trafic with french IDNS is respectable and for good names we get up-to 400 views per day.
Number of potential French IDNs is much more higher than the spanish one; this is due to different combinations you get in french, with é, è, ê, ç, and so on. And french domains applies also fo the whole Francophonie world which consists on a huge market including, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Quebec, North and Western Africa.

DABSI
Much of Canada uses french. In Ontario and many other places large areas speak french as a first language. Québec just happens to have the motherload.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 3rd May 2006, 03:20 AM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1248
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: some info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennuyé
Much of Canada uses french. In Ontario and many other places large areas speak french as a first language. Québec just happens to have the motherload.
Much means how many people? 10 million "typers"? - note, i use typers as opposed to speakers.

I checked my french names, traffic is 92% from Europe and 4% from North America.

Last edited by touchring; 3rd May 2006 at 03:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 3rd May 2006, 04:06 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2668
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: some info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Frankly, that is not something I will loose any sleep over. Even if there was the willingness to go down this path, the time frame is now too short for it to be a serious option. Look how long it took to launch dot EU, at least three years!
Look, we are still living with файл.doc (file.doc) accross all computer platforms and it doesn't bother anyone!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy idns
domain name lawyer
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54