IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2006, 06:40 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Lightbulb So what do we really think of .NET's ?

I'll make it no secret that I am somewhat of a .net fanboy - not wanting to be labelled DNG (dot net god!!) - but I thought I would share my thoughts on them...

We have almost 250 of them, and some of them we have paid up to 500 dollars each, but why do I buy them? You only have to look at the auctions to see that there are a select few members that always go for them, and let's face it they are cheap!

Here's some of the reasons why I like .net:

1. In the secondary market they are cheap, and when IDN's realise their true aftermarket value, I imagine anything single word generic is going to have value.

2. .com auctions have pretty much dried up!

3. SEO doesn't care .net or .com

4. And this is the big one.. Today in ascii, .net is treated like the poor relation of the .com; sure in some countries there will be variations to this, but it has to be said that .com is king.
I personally have never typed a .net url in my life (well apart from idntools maybe ) But I believe IDN will change this..

We all want idn.idn dname, but what will idn.idn actually bring us?

One opinion is that to a non-english user, on the day of idn.idn implementation, the web user will simply have 2 new .idn extensions (one mapping to .com and one mapping to .net)

Both will be brand new, both equal. Who is to say that the idn that happens to map to the .com should be anymore popular (and therefore valuable) than the other one?

If dname idn.idn doesn't happen, then sure things will be a lot different for .net's - but then again, things will be a lot different for all idn's.

Last edited by alpha; 2nd May 2006 at 06:46 AM..
Old 2nd May 2006, 07:19 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: So what do we really think of .NET's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale

4. And this is the big one.. Today in ascii, .net is treated like the poor relation of the .com; sure in some countries there will be variations to this, but it has to be said that .com is king.
I personally have never typed a .net url in my life (well apart from idntools maybe ) But I believe IDN will change this..
I'll try to add my 2c to this:

I'm no fan of .net (or any other gtld for that matter), although I do hold a very small number of them.

Your #4 pretty well sums it all up. Com is the king and it has been embedded in people's brains worldwide.
Billions of dollars of branding/advertising has made quite sure of this.

I am not saying of course that .net is worthless, but, at this stage of the game where nice generic coms are still available to hand-reg (in some languages) or better ones available in the aftermarket at decent prices, why tie up capital on a handful of nets?

Quote:
1. In the secondary market they are cheap, and when IDN's realise their true aftermarket value, I imagine anything single word generic is going to have value.
Why make 10k let's say trying to sell 10 .nets when you can make the same with 1 .com?

Quote:
2. .com auctions have pretty much dried up!
Sure, people are testing the market with their nets to see what their coms might bring later on. Or re-investing the proceeds to tap other language(s) .com to spread their portfolio.

Quote:
3. SEO doesn't care .net or .com
If everything happens to the theories floating here, you won't care much about SEO.

MHO of course; everyone has their own strategies, visions and game plans.

I just keep reminding myself, if I knew what I know now about ascii back in '94, where would I have put my money? Definately not .net
Old 2nd May 2006, 07:30 AM
Semi-retired

Let me give two examples:

1)
I have seen it said before a number of times that a .net is worth roughly 20% of a .com

I find it astonishing when I see someone trying to sell a bunch of .com names for 99,000 dollars, when all or most of the .net's are still available to register.

what does this mean?

the .com's are not worth 99,000 dollars?

the .net's are worth 20,000 dollars, but for some reason are still unregged?

2)

quote: "I am not saying of course that .net is worthless, but, at this stage of the game where nice generic coms are still available to hand-reg (in some languages) or better ones available in the aftermarket at decent prices, why tie up capital on a handful of nets?"

yes in some languages, but not in the "hot" languages we've seen so far, like Japanese & Chinese.

If you want something good in Japanese or Chinese .com for reg fee, you have to look very hard or lower your expectations. But not for .NET, there are "good" ones littered all over the place.

anyway - I'm not disagreeing, it's just my opinion.

Lets have some more more thoughts on .NET's.... anyone?
Old 2nd May 2006, 07:45 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

My focus is on .com only, .net is a stranger to me. I own a few .net but I don't even know how to price them.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 2nd May 2006, 07:54 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

.nets at least get me something, budgetary constraints dictate that for me at the moment...
Old 2nd May 2006, 08:23 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's generic enough, it will always have value.

If I missed business.com, and had to settle for business.net, do you think I'd be complaining?

Anyway, the value of IDN's are still very much up for speculation. Just because westerners see value only in owning .com's, we can't be sure this will be the opinion across all cultures.

It's too early in my opinion to make cut & dry judgements on anything IDN.

Grab what you can I reckon.
Old 2nd May 2006, 08:27 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Let me give two examples:

1)
I have seen it said before a number of times that a .net is worth roughly 20% of a .com

I find it astonishing when I see someone trying to sell a bunch of .com names for 99,000 dollars, when all or most of the .net's are still available to register.

what does this mean? the .com's are not worth 99,000 dollars? the .net's are worth 20,000 dollars, but for some reason are still unregged?
I also find it astonishing people selling a .com very expensive and the .net still available? why if it is such a hot and expensive keyword the .net nobody has taken the .net?

I also think that for sure some of the .net u have grabbed at bargain prices will give you a nice return for these cheap investments in not more than 2 years. Though for me at this stage, i would be better with one $5k .com than 10 cheap $500 .nets Besides the fact that this idn u buy now on $5K if it is very good on 2 years will cost $XX.XXX or more , the .nets will cost more for sure, but the .com will cost more money faster.

About idn.idn, in chinese i love .net but in most languages, i dislike it. Anyway i think it is necessary to think somehow about idn.idn as sooner or later, your domains will be idn.idn and im sure you intend to keep your idn domains for a long long time...

Last edited by idnceo; 2nd May 2006 at 08:33 AM..
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:27 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

The obcession with the dot com extension is very much an American phenomenon. Most Americans actually think it is their own ccTLD. The supply of ASCII domains have virtually dried up. I was looking at the list from a deal that has been reported on WJS, I wouldn't have bought any of them. I have admittedly been burnt with dot net as I had assumed that the aftermarket for them would have performed better than it has. However, it clear in terms of new registrations in ASCII dot com has virtually nowhere to go, except down. The wider adoption of other extension in ASCII is inevitable. Dot Net will undoubtedly be the main beneficiary, and indeed it is notable that in the last year it has been outperforming the competition in relative terms.

The Asians on the whole are a much more rational lot. They will buy dot com where is represents value but I doubt if they will register all sorts of worthless junk. If India can cope with many languages, I think they can handle a few different extension, don't you?
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:32 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
One opinion is that to a non-english user, on the day of idn.idn implementation, the web user will simply have 2 new .idn extensions (one mapping to .com and one mapping to .net)

Both will be brand new, both equal. Who is to say that the idn that happens to map to the .com should be anymore popular (and therefore valuable) than the other one?
does anyone have any thoughts on the above comment?
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:36 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
does anyone have any thoughts on the above comment?
There is some validity in this. The branding will tend to get watered down a bit as the different scripts are introduced. I doubt that it will create a level playing field, however, as much big companies will go for dot com because that is what they understand, and much of the rest of the market will follow like sheep as ever.
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:42 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
There is some validity in this. The branding will tend to get watered down a bit as the different scripts are introduced. I doubt that it will create a level playing field, however, as much big companies will go for dot com because that is what they understand, and much of the rest of the market will follow like sheep as ever.

I don't know the history of .com & .net, but I assume that .com came before .net and thats what lead to it's dominance?

... assuming this is the case, as I have stated - that dominance I think may be somewhat eroded if both are launched together.

but you are right, people are usually just like sheep.

baaaa!
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:55 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a few off the hand reason why i think .com is so popular.

1. Amazon.com, Yahoo.com wannabes.
2. .com is easier to type on the keyword than .net.
3. the last letter 'm' makes a nice ending sound. 'Mmmmm'. OTOH, 't' sticks out.

:p
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:56 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Just a few off the hand reason why i think .com is so popular.

1. Amazon.com, Yahoo.com wannabes.
2. .com is easier to type on the keyword than .net.
3. the last letter 'm' makes a nice ending sound. 'Mmmmm'. OTOH, 't' sticks out.
.tv is even easier!!
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:58 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a few dot nets mostly dot coms & jps
Yes all will be used after people realize they CAN be used.
I personally prefer to concentrate on jps & coms but still recently I bought a net in the aftermarket that I should have bought in September when there was no competition (basicly me & Rubber Duck).

I'm not into the TVs but I had the luxury of getting into the market before everyone else.
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:00 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically, .com is more hip and trendy than .net.

What Olney said is correct about creating a few trendy japanese idn websites and it will kick off. Everything's about image.

Quote:
.tv is even easier!!
not really, the 't' is right at the top - need to stretch the finger up.

.com on the other hands is nice at the right place. The 'c' is next to the left 2nd finger, the 'o' the right middle finger, and the 'm', the right 2nd finger.

Last edited by touchring; 2nd May 2006 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Basically, .com is more hip and trendy than .net.

What Olney said is correct about creating a few trendy japanese idn websites and it will kick off. Everything's about image.

not really, the 't' is right at the top - need to stretch the finger up.

.com on the other hands is nice at the right place. The 'c' is next to the left 2nd finger, the 'o' the right middle finger, and the 'm', the right 2nd finger.
Well if this really does give dot com competitive edge, then it will be invalidated by IDN.IDN. People will no longer type dot COM and phonetically it won't be said this way in Chinese or Japanese, it will adopted the sound of the Kanji or Hanzi used to Alias it.
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:33 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Another point to consider is sometimes .com and .cn are blocked for registration. That doesn't happen with a junk keyword, but a hot one. In this case, the holder of a .net could probably argue that the value of his domain is closer to .com's, since it's the only game in town.
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Another point to consider is sometimes .com and .cn are blocked for registration. That doesn't happen with a junk keyword, but a hot one. In this case, the holder of a .net could probably argue that the value of his domain is closer to .com's, since it's the only game in town.
Good point, but I think in SEO terms Simplified and Traditional are equally valid.
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:38 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
...not really, the 't' is right at the top - need to stretch the finger up.

not if you type with 2 fingers like me!
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:38 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Good point, but I think in SEO terms Simplified and Traditional are equally valid.
Given that choice, I think a Chinese company takes simplified.net vs traditional.com, though.

Last edited by Explorer; 2nd May 2006 at 01:29 PM..