IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2010, 02:18 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Question Can you spot an IDN?

If you’ve never been to Hong Kong, and you’ve heard legends about the busy streets of the city, you can now see how it looks for yourself without leaving your comfy chair, as Google has launched its Street View service for Hong Kong.

The huge city has been covered extremely well; just zoom out of Street View, pull the little yellow Street View figure on the upper left side of the screen and you’ll see that most of the streets are blue, which means Street View is available there.

In addition to Hong Kong, Google Street View is now also available in the city of Macau, south of Guangdong province.

Old 12th March 2010, 10:29 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: Can you spot an IDN?

I have to confess that I don't see an IDN in that picture. In fact I am a bit surprised that I don't see any domains at all.

Another thing that is interesting is all the different scripts. Not just Chinese but Japanese,Korean and of course English.
Old 13th March 2010, 12:59 AM

Vlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished road

Never ever be surprised about seeing American/English script on an Asian sign.

The next 50-100 years will see Asia becoming the economic center of the world and American/English will be the official business language.
Old 13th March 2010, 01:06 AM

Vlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished roadVlaen is on a distinguished road

And Mrs. Vlaen pointed out to me that Hong Kong was English ruled for the last 90 out of 100 years. So it would be expected that you would see English signs everywhere.
Old 13th March 2010, 02:44 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

In Bangkok, you can find may streets with 7 or 8 languages featured.

Enough of talk of the "official business language", please, I beg you. Two (or more) people talk in whatever language is convenient for them. If Americans and Chinese talk, it might well be in English. If two Thais talk, it is in Thai. If me and my son talk, its in Tinglish.

There is no "official" language of anything. What ISO cert would that be?
Old 13th March 2010, 04:19 AM

never go against the trend. especially when it involves money.

tinglish may be easy on your tounge but 2.3 billion asians speaking american/english are yearning to make a Dollar.

source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/quotes
Old 13th March 2010, 08:22 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaen View Post
never go against the trend. especially when it involves money.

tinglish may be easy on your tounge but 2.3 billion asians speaking american/english are yearning to make a Dollar.

source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/quotes
I'm sure the guru knows more than you as he actually lives in Thailand.
What country do you live in and what first hand experience do you have? Fox News doesn't always tell the truth.
Old 13th March 2010, 08:44 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The next 50-100 years will see Asia becoming the economic center of the world and American/English will be the official business language.
Nope.

http://www.google.de/trends?q=busine...r=all&date=all

http://www.google.de/trends?q=busine...ate=all&sort=0
Old 13th March 2010, 09:28 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

That would break down cultural barriers and make faraway places boring :P

I went to Canada a few times and not one person spoke english.
Old 13th March 2010, 03:14 PM

Throwing out Fox news insults....

I guess investing in IDNs is as far as you can see past your nose.

One persons geographical location is meaningless when talking about the direction the entire world is moving in.

Every country is becoming globalized - some faster than others.
Every country has it's own language.
Every country will use a common language between other countries at some point in the future.

My money is on American/English being used.

I did not say individual language is dying out.

If your personal native language on this board is not American/English and you're talking in this thread....hmm

xie xie
Old 13th March 2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>My money is on American/English being used.

The French used to think that too, about the French language.

Times change.
Old 13th March 2010, 08:04 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Times change.
Times change, but language usage changes slowly.

I can easily imagine scenarios where the dollar suddenly collapses, but it is much harder for me to imagine the billions of people who have learned English (often with much effort) suddenly switching to something else.

Also, there is no obvious replacement candidate. Mandarin would be a contender, but it has the disadvantage (as a universal language) of a writing system that is unusually difficult to learn.

Avtal
Old 14th March 2010, 03:06 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Well as a Thai, I can tell you that in Thailand, most Thais speak Thai, especially among ourselves and I don't see that chaning in the next 100 years at least. English is taught in school and more people are interested in the language, partially because Thailand has a lot of Western tourists visiting and partially because Thailand has a lot of international trade. Thais are also learning Chinese, Japanese and Korean to deal with visitors from those countries but the bottom line is Thais will always be most comfortable conversing among ourselves.
Old 14th March 2010, 03:53 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

When it comes to street signs, it doesn't matter so much if locals learn English as a foreign language.

I studied English as a foreign language but I almost never read street signs in English unless there's no option. My eyes register Japanese signs immediately and pretty much ignore everything written in latin alphabets.

It's so much so that when I was in China, I was always looking at Chinese characters even if English signs were also present. This is the case even though I understand English far better than I do Chinese.

Processing foreign languages or characters require many brain cells to work really hard. And no one wants to do it unless it's absolutely necessary. Human brains love to take it easy.
Old 14th March 2010, 10:54 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
One persons geographical location is meaningless when talking about the direction the entire world is moving in.
You might think you've got the big picture, but you are totally missing the point.

People speak foreign languages if they need to do so. Whenever it isn't nesserary and they have got the choice they will prefer their native languagages. About 95% of the Germans I know speak some sort of English. However there is no reason I should ever talk to them in English.

Doing international business usually requires English. How many businesses are doing international transactions and how many of them act locally? Note: producing a mobile phone is an international business. Importing or exporting mobile phones is an international business. Actually selling them is a local business.

When avaluating domain names we are talking about benefits for end users. Then again we need to ask: do end users need to use foreign languages for their purpose? Do I need to speak Japanese for ordering a Japanese cellphone? Nope. So what language will end users use for searching and typing? Which domain names will they remember best? Have a guess!
Old 14th March 2010, 04:36 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
People speak foreign languages if they need to do so. Whenever it isn't nesserary and they have got the choice they will prefer their native languagages.
We seem to be having two different discussions here.

Discussion 1: Which language will people use to speak to their fellow countrymen? Or of more interest to IDNers, which language will people use to do internet searches? I think everyone participating in this thread agrees that people are never going to stop using their native language. And most of the people on this forum have bet real money (IDN registration fees) on this belief.

Discussion 2: If someone expects to travel abroad, or to do business with foreigners, or to do scientific research, which foreign language is he/she likely to want to learn? At this point in time, and for the forseeable future, I see English as the most likely choice; what do you think?

But for some reason, whenever we start Discussion 2, we end up having Discussion 1, again and again, which is a bit boring, since we are already all in agreement.

Or if we are going to keep reverting back to Discussion 1, let's at least vary it a bit, to keep things interesting.

For instance, if a German-speaking native of Switzerland does an internet search, which language will he use? Swiss German, which is the language he uses with family and neighbors? Standard (High) German, which is the language that was used by his teachers in school? One of the other official languages of Switzerland (Italian, French, Romansh)? English? Or will it depend on what he is searching for?

Avtal
Old 14th March 2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
We seem to be having two different discussions here.

Discussion 1: Which language will people use to speak to their fellow countrymen? Or of more interest to IDNers, which language will people use to do internet searches? I think everyone participating in this thread agrees that people are never going to stop using their native language. And most of the people on this forum have bet real money (IDN registration fees) on this belief.

Discussion 2: If someone expects to travel abroad, or to do business with foreigners, or to do scientific research, which foreign language is he/she likely to want to learn? At this point in time, and for the forseeable future, I see English as the most likely choice; what do you think?

But for some reason, whenever we start Discussion 2, we end up having Discussion 1, again and again, which is a bit boring, since we are already all in agreement.
I think we are all in agreement on discussion 2 as well. I was just pointing out that it might be rather irrelevant for domainers as most websites are for endusers and most endusers are not quite affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
Or if we are going to keep reverting back to Discussion 1, let's at least vary it a bit, to keep things interesting.

For instance, if a German-speaking native of Switzerland does an internet search, which language will he use? Swiss German, which is the language he uses with family and neighbors? Standard (High) German, which is the language that was used by his teachers in school? One of the other official languages of Switzerland (Italian, French, Romansh)? English? Or will it depend on what he is searching for?
I don't really know as I am not Swiss but I guess it would be Swiss German and Standard German depending on what he is searching for.

I looked up the top searches for Zürich which is a German speaking region but also the business and finance capital of Switzerland. Top search: Zürich (German). Second: Schweiz (German). Then there is all the facebook and youtube stuff and number 8 is Wetter (German).

Last edited by bumblebee man; 14th March 2010 at 06:13 PM..
Old 15th March 2010, 02:12 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
I think we are all in agreement on discussion 2 as well. I was just pointing out that it might be rather irrelevant for domainers as most websites are for endusers and most endusers are not quite affected.

I don't really know as I am not Swiss but I guess it would be Swiss German and Standard German depending on what he is searching for.

I looked up the top searches for Zürich which is a German speaking region but also the business and finance capital of Switzerland. Top search: Zürich (German). Second: Schweiz (German). Then there is all the facebook and youtube stuff and number 8 is Wetter (German).
At last we get to the point it boils down to what do people search for, is it all "English business meeting terms" or is stuff people are interested in locally? I'm sure we can all answer that.

People here in Thailand at least are busy try to learn several foreign languages, especially Chinese, Japanese, Korean, plus English of course. So don't think everyone in Asia is just on some crazy drive to learn English so they can earn "dollars". There are other currencies around.

Globalization doesn't have to mean an inevitable drive to "one language", even for business. It can mean we all appreciate (and for those willing to try) learn each others languages and cultures.

Do you think if a Thai meets up with a Chinese business to make a deal, it is more or less likely to happen if the Thai has invested in learning Chinese rather than both parties having to communicate in this language which isn't native to either? Which scenario makes sense?

The world of BabelFish / GoogleFish is all about expressing yourself in your own language, and being able to understand what other people are saying (in their own language), not let's all speak English.

Last edited by domainguru; 15th March 2010 at 02:13 AM..
Old 15th March 2010, 05:08 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
That would break down cultural barriers and make faraway places boring :P

I went to Canada a few times and not one person spoke english.
Canada only has 1 french speaking province. You must have went to Quebec, Canada. Everyone speaks English, they just refuse to, Nationalists. That's why there are 2 official languages, English and French.
Old 15th March 2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
Canada only has 1 french speaking province. You must have went to Quebec, Canada. Everyone speaks English, they just refuse to, Nationalists. That's why there are 2 official languages, English and French.
great sounds like a great market for french idns...where do I sign up