IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2010, 08:01 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about
Alternative Markets

I rarely see any legitimate IDN keywords on eBay. Why is no one interested in selling the domains there? traffic is there, exposure is there but rarely any IDNs are listed. Can anyone comment on any preferences choosing forums to make sales instead of ebay platform.

Last edited by DktoInc; 21st March 2010 at 08:03 AM..
Old 21st March 2010, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Alternative Markets

Most serious domain purchases avoid eBay because it's too time-consuming sorting the wheat from the chaff.
Old 21st March 2010, 08:45 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

eBay is a very powerful advertising tool if used properly. You have options, for example opening your store and displaying your items for a small fee, feature items, featured category.... most serious domains would be easy to spot and to separate because of the exposure set by the seller.

Last edited by DktoInc; 21st March 2010 at 08:47 AM..
Old 21st March 2010, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Nice theory, but obviously that balloon won't float.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:31 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Most serious domain purchases avoid eBay because it's too time-consuming sorting the wheat from the chaff.
And so do the serious sellers. If you've got busïñëss.com Ebay is the place to go.

CaṨh.com might sell there as well.

Last edited by bumblebee man; 21st March 2010 at 10:34 AM..
Old 21st March 2010, 07:23 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Sadly the meaningless mixed domains like busïñëss.com as well as single characters from obscure and nearly unused languages have made up the majority of the IDN's listed on Ebay. As a result it has gotten a bit of a bad reputation amongst serious buyers and sellers.

This is one of the reasons that the meaningless mixed domains are treated with derision here. People buy these, usually on Ebay, You can't sell them here. Then they find out they are junk and feel ripped off. Subsequently they end up telling others and IDN's get a bad rap.
Old 21st March 2010, 08:11 PM

Domains like busïñëss.com are sold and bought on ebay because there is no other IDns to buy. All members here have at least a handful of genetic valid IDNs which can be listed on ebay to educate the public. All the nonsense domains can be easily overflown by genetic IDNs and everything will settle in its place eventually. The public will be educated and the market will prosper. On the other hand, mixed domains are everywhere even on sedo or bido but everyone still goes to Sedo first and its can be time consuming as well to sort through. I am not trying to influence anyone to go and start selling on ebay, but having been an ebayer for over 10 years and having 2 gold and 1 silver power seller stores and profiting 100k per year there I know how powerful this tool can be. Just want to get your thoughts on why its not used for IDN's.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:01 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Because that is not where the serious buyers are.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:09 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
Domains like busïñëss.com are sold and bought on ebay because there is no other IDns to buy. All members here have at least a handful of genetic valid IDNs which can be listed on ebay to educate the public. All the nonsense domains can be easily overflown by genetic IDNs and everything will settle in its place eventually. The public will be educated and the market will prosper. On the other hand, mixed domains are everywhere even on sedo or bido but everyone still goes to Sedo first and its can be time consuming as well to sort through. I am not trying to influence anyone to go and start selling on ebay, but having been an ebayer for over 10 years and having 2 gold and 1 silver power seller stores and profiting 100k per year there I know how powerful this tool can be. Just want to get your thoughts on why its not used for IDN's.
You make over $100,000 on ebay and couldn't use your own eyes to make a business decision why people don't sell idns on ebay? You make over $100k on ebay and that was the best idn you could reg? aye currumba...
Old 21st March 2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Perhaps give the guy a break peepz, not everyone knows what you know .

Ebay is not a dedicated selling tool for domains, it does no ownership verification and it has no integrated escrow for domains. Beyond that ebay is historically connected to idn phishing names which underlines there is no moderation going on there...or they just don't care (I would suspect both).

So ebay is like the wild west, little to no regulation and mostly fools gold can be found there (in terms of domains). If you have a gem, it's unlikely to stand out from the bullshit names.

p.s. it's generic, not genetic
Old 21st March 2010, 09:32 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am not trying to influence anyone ..
It's kinda fun but also fairly boring to watch your pathetic attempts ... You want good domains? Break out your wallet and hit Drew up with a serious offer, don't insult him BTW
Old 21st March 2010, 09:42 PM
Administrator

I don't think I've ever sold an IDN?

Maybe a German one via SEDO.

I sell ASCII's occasionally for $$$$ minimum, but I BUY IDN's, not Sell.

Still finding fairly good ones available for hand reg too, which is nice.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
It's kinda fun but also fairly boring to watch your pathetic attempts ... You want good domains? Break out your wallet and hit Drew up with a serious offer, don't insult him BTW
Care to explain yourself? What do you classify as a pathetic attempt?
Old 21st March 2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo View Post
Perhaps give the guy a break peepz, not everyone knows what you know .

Ebay is not a dedicated selling tool for domains, it does no ownership verification and it has no integrated escrow for domains. Beyond that ebay is historically connected to idn phishing names which underlines there is no moderation going on there...or they just don't care (I would suspect both).

So ebay is like the wild west, little to no regulation and mostly fools gold can be found there (in terms of domains). If you have a gem, it's unlikely to stand out from the bullshit names.

p.s. it's generic, not genetic
Ebay has an internal ownership verification for seller account, fraud can lead to serious criminal charges. More expensive items are sold there with confidence, a lot of Ascii domains are sold there as well.
Actually buying a few mixed script domains is what led me to this forum in the first place, following the trail is what led me to the gold, but here I didn't see an escrow service anyways, unless I am missing it. How do you trust your sales or buys? If you are going to tell me that you know the people you are selling to or buying from is what makes this a safe transaction, then you are playing cards with the same group of people over and over again. How are you supposed to find a good end buyer here if they don't know that you exist.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
I don't think I've ever sold an IDN?

Maybe a German one via SEDO.

I sell ASCII's occasionally for $$$$ minimum, but I BUY IDN's, not Sell.

Still finding fairly good ones available for hand reg too, which is nice.
I agree, there are still lots of good one available for hand reg in many languages.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:02 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

When you mentioned ebay I lost interest .. who in their right mind is going to buy the likes of CAṨH.COM?
Humor me here, get rid of your sig, do some research, plenty of good stuff out there.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
When you mentioned ebay I lost interest .. who in their right mind is going to buy the likes of CAṨH.COM?
Humor me here, get rid of your sig, do some research, plenty of good stuff out there.
Sedo has sold numerous mixed script domains, and every time I can see a thread on here regarding the sale. Yet, people still go there as #1 choice for buying and selling.
I can see that my signature is bothering a lot of people. I can understand that. I can see that you are all here for prime terms, so let it be. changed. Let's continue the discussion.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Sedo has sold numerous mixed script domains
Now, I wonder why that is ... sun, hay, making, shine? make any sense to you?
Old 21st March 2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Now, I wonder why that is ... sun, hay, making, shine? make any sense to you?
A cruel attempt at cashing in, but for how long.? as said here before, serious domainers avoid eBay because the good domains don't stand out. Whats different about alternative markets? all have the same material, of course this forum is tightly controlled against mixed scripts but its a forum not a market.

Last edited by DktoInc; 21st March 2010 at 11:03 PM..
Old 21st March 2010, 11:01 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

The benefit of this forum (or better: community) above ebay is that user reputation is very transparant. Depending on the price AND the user reputation most sales are usually handled without any escrow service. User reputation is not just rep.power or itrader rating, it's also knowing someone through their responses/ideas, you don't get that with ebay.

You are right if you say that no end-users are likely to wander of to idnforums.com as it is, but that goes for most selling platforms and I do not think ebay has any leverage over idnf in that respect. You are likely to be approached through your whois email address in case of serious offers.