IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2010, 10:33 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Introducing IDNTools WHOIS tool

The best part about owning and running IDNTools, is you get an opportunity to address some of the long term IDN annoyances out there.

For years there hasn't been a solid place to do a full whois lookup, some of the popular sites out there are either plainly not IDN complaint and display junk characters, or are simply not built from the ground up with IDN in mind.

For me, the perfect whois lookup tool needs to do the following:
  • Must be IDN and Ascii compliant
  • Must be able to work with as many extensions as possible
  • Must be FREE
  • Must allow unlimited use
  • Must not lie to me and tell me a domain is available when it isn't. If it's variant blocked, tell me.
  • Must be trustworthy with a guarantee of no shady front running or exploitation/storing of my lookups. In short, No BS.

You can access the new whois lookup tool from the IDNTools homepage

or get into the habit of running a direct lookup via the URL (unicode or punycode)

We've just released it as a beta, feel free to leave feedback here, or use the feedback link on the whois page.

Enjoy!
Old 28th March 2010, 11:42 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: Introducing IDNTools WHOIS tool

Thank you!

Domaintools used to be my first choice for whois but I never did like the fact that they were tracking my searches or that annoying re-login request. Then it stopped working altogether for IDNs

This is a much needed service. Thanks!
Old 28th March 2010, 11:52 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
Thank you!

Domaintools used to be my first choice for whois but I never did like the fact that they were tracking my searches or that annoying re-login request. Then it stopped working altogether for IDNs

This is a much needed service. Thanks!
and domaintools used to be my first stop too. But they always had issues with certain languages, for example Thai and some Indian scripts would get corrupted even if you used a punycode. Then as you say, it stopped being IDN compliant all together.

But I think the biggest annoyance that I see everywhere is telling you a Kanji domain is available when it's actually blocked. This is super annoying for me, and must be a real piss-off factor for noobs looking up domains. And hopefully we nailed that one too.

Lets see, as I said it's in Beta, so I'm sure there will be some things to iron out.

Last edited by alpha; 28th March 2010 at 11:53 AM..
Old 28th March 2010, 12:28 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Nice job, thanks for putting this together.
Old 28th March 2010, 03:04 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Introducing IDNTools WHOIS tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
But I think the biggest annoyance that I see everywhere is telling you a Kanji domain is available when it's actually blocked. This is super annoying for me, and must be a real piss-off factor for noobs looking up domains. And hopefully we nailed that one too.
Yes this is very annoying, especially when your registrar can't figure it out either and allows you to reg it.

Nice feature, I will be testing it in the next few days and let you know how it went.
Old 28th March 2010, 03:09 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Thanks! Just two questions:

Can it be hit by a script?

Are the searches being recorded on a db?
Old 28th March 2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

BTW, I think you need to put "Thumbnails powered by Thumbshots" somewhere on the results.

Update: Unless your using the paid service.

Last edited by jose; 28th March 2010 at 03:15 PM..
Old 28th March 2010, 03:14 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Thanks! Just two questions:

Can it be hit by a script?

Are the searches being recorded on a db?
Most of the work that went it to this was in the area of trying to strike a happy balance between 'unlimited use' and the anti scraping, scripting, harvesting and bot counter measures.

no the results are not stored.
Old 28th March 2010, 04:09 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Nice feature, I will be testing it in the next few days and let you know how it went.
Thanks all for the help with the Whois beta testing and for the general words of support. You guys are amazing.
Old 31st March 2010, 04:41 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Tested a few domains so far, multiple languages including hindi, thai and tamil + some domains using symbols like ®. Everything went well.

One small glitch though : Sometimes the whois info did not display well on the first landing page. Clicking on the registrar whois link displays the info correctly. I have a few examples if you want I'll send them over by pm.
Old 31st March 2010, 04:47 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
One small glitch though : Sometimes the whois info did not display well on the first landing page. Clicking on the registrar whois link displays the info correctly. I have a few examples if you want I'll send them over by pm.
PM sent with email address. thankyou!
Old 31st March 2010, 01:55 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice work guys!
Old 1st April 2010, 02:31 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

Gary and Aaron....

Nice job....
well done.

s/
Old 9th April 2010, 01:36 AM

dnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished roaddnnames is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dnnames

Great job Gary and Aaron. Beats domaintools, esp on thai and hindi domains.