IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:31 AM

karassin is an unknown quantity at this point
因特网.net ("internet.net" in Chinese)

How much does it worth?
Old 12th April 2010, 06:18 PM

JP Blankert is a tad dodgyJP Blankert is a tad dodgy
Re: 因特网.net ("internet.net" in Chinese)

Worth a fortune, but I am one of the few who sees it I am afraid.

I have an IDN = internet . too, but of a country less important than China.

.net ranks tremdendously, and internet is very important. In a way, you have proven to be 'king', the name is more important than sex.com

I had a brief look at .cn myself, but was discouraged by requirements to have business there. How did you do it?

Piece of advise in case you are a trader: host it, and put a few pages self made text about internet on it, and it will rank page 1 'google' in China. Then you can put it for sale...but my experience very little people see the value of a good domain name, but you may have to wait for years. But I would not leave the domain empty, it could be taken away from you.

You can also exploit it yourself, by selling ISP accesses against margin.
Old 12th April 2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

idncurious is a tad dodgy

I looked up the word "internet" in google translate and not to my surprise, it came up with the word "因特网"

Using google trends to compare the most commonly used words I would use to mean "internet"

网络, 网路, 互联网,因特网, 联网

http://www.google.com/trends?q=网络%2C...ate=all&sort=0

You can see the huge difference between the top term vs all others.

Google translates internet into 因特网 when infact the most commonly used term is 网络 (Now I am sure someone would argue that 网络 is only used loosely/slang to mean internet when it truly/officially/technically means "network". But truth is, 网络 is by far the most common term used to mean internet... slang or no slang or whatever. I use it, my friends use it, my mother uses it. Everyone I know uses it to mean internet!)

However, don't be discouraged. IMO you still have a very valuable domain name

Google has lots of useful tools (ie. google trends) but google translate is not one of them. Infact, it is a piece of crap.

And i am speaking with first hand experience...

I can't believe google translate would omit the word 同志 when translating gay. 同志 is by far the most commonly used word on the internet to mean gay!

Last edited by idncurious; 12th April 2010 at 08:02 PM..
Old 12th April 2010, 08:46 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Blankert View Post
Worth a fortune, but I am one of the few who sees it I am afraid.

I have an IDN = internet . too, but of a country less important than China.

.net ranks tremdendously, and internet is very important. In a way, you have proven to be 'king', the name is more important than sex.com

I had a brief look at .cn myself, but was discouraged by requirements to have business there. How did you do it?

Piece of advise in case you are a trader: host it, and put a few pages self made text about internet on it, and it will rank page 1 'google' in China. Then you can put it for sale...but my experience very little people see the value of a good domain name, but you may have to wait for years. But I would not leave the domain empty, it could be taken away from you.

You can also exploit it yourself, by selling ISP accesses against margin.
Two things you may not be aware of;

Google China is no more.
Chinese govt. has no jurisdiction over .net; no one can take the domain away from him.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:18 PM

Yes.....what I do in addition to google translate are two other things I find useful:
1) use for more precise online dictionnaries online, sometimes for one language only
2) back- and forth translaten, and as I call it 'triangle' translation: language A to B, B to C, C to A - A still the same?
3) picture check!! Pictures very precisely express the connotation of a word. That is how I discovered exactly which arab word I had to have for 'Art' with a A instead of a, I mean: real art and art as 'everything that is made.

Sometimes I am just fascinated by a language and do nothing: I want to see what 'work' means in Hind, and got 98 (!!!) translations, all explained. I could not make a language there.......see English is very poor and simple language (that is why it is so popular and short). 'Script' in English means a) piece of software b) as well as: way to write/type things down. In Russian, there are 15 words for b) !!!! I think that is why people kwowing a few, quite different languages preferably with different script, are better at this IDN 'game'. They understand these things. Sometimes there is no translation, sometimes 15. A few years ago someone told me Swahili had no word for 'credit'. Having no word for it also 'hampers' your way of thinking and doing business.

How can I quickly install Chinese fonts to have a check on Karassin's 4 char. word? 'Put fonts under c:/windows/fonts' everybody says but it still does not work with me.....

internet (chinese).cn is onde onviously better ranking in China. But for .cn you need little office in China, pay for that from Hongkong etc., now I remember.

Last edited by JP Blankert; 12th April 2010 at 11:19 PM..
Old 12th April 2010, 11:44 PM

I digged in what I said about translations and came to 互联网 so 3 character internet (Chinese): all occupied (net, com, org etc.).

When I try your 因特网 (different) I come to something internet-like too....also in pictures. When I do yours 'Chinese to German' I het internet, as well as with ' my' word.

Time to call a translation service....they are not so expensive, very good ones in Europe for 35 euro per hour and if you tell them it is because of domain names and you come back for more they can also charge per 15 min. But better have a chat on the phone about connotations.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:51 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

因特网 yīn​tè​wǎng​ Internet

Good name registered 10 years ago? The .com registered in 2004 so guess it was dropped.