IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2010, 09:35 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
It seems quiet in the IDN world..

Quote:
… but trust me, it just seems that way.
If like me, you keep an eye on the whois of top domains, you’ll see all sorts of things happening under the radar.
One such recent event I am familiar with, involves these monster domains:

Chinese
照相机.com – Camera
汽车.com – Automobile
酒店.com – Hotels
首饰.com – Jewlery
黄页.com – Yellow Pages
Russian
игры.com – Games
музыка.com – Music
книги.com – Books
авто.com – Auto
квартиры.com – Apartments
This group of 10 top tier domains changed hands in an all cash deal in the high 6 figs recently (USD $xxx,xxx)
More Here: http://www.idndemystified.com/it-see...-idn-world.htm

Nice post Gary.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:33 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: It seems quiet in the IDN world..

super cheap
Old 13th April 2010, 01:09 AM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

this is where i got lost. "the investor himself was neither a “domainer” nor “end user”. ok
Q. Do you own any another domains?
A. Our group have more than a thousand domains but few are in the same category mentioned above, which I would call category killers. ? so a thousand, does not qualify him as a domainer?
Old 13th April 2010, 01:13 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofmel View Post
this is where i got lost. "the investor himself was neither a “domainer” nor “end user”. ok
A. Our group have more than a thousand domains but few are in the same category mentioned above, which I would call category killers. ? so a thousand, does not qualify him as a domainer?
Maybe he's just domain curious.
Old 13th April 2010, 03:03 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

"While the buyer would like to retain a level of anonymity" ...............

He doesn't seem to be too anonymous if you check the who.is for any of the domains.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 13th April 2010 at 03:05 AM..
Old 13th April 2010, 03:13 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
"While the buyer would like to retain a level of anonymity" ...............

He doesn't seem to be too anonymous if you check the who.is for any of the domains.
Can someone say who the previous owner was?

Avtal
Old 13th April 2010, 04:35 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofmel View Post
good point.

Does owning 1 domain make you a "domainer"? or is there some number that changes you from "investor" to "domainer".
I think it's more about how you spend your time. And if the exact definition came down to hanging around domain forums and flipping domains - then the buyer is not a "domainer".
but yeah... it does read a little confusing, I give you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
Can someone say who the previous owner was?

Avtal
I'm sure someone else will answer that. It's all there if you look.

Last edited by alpha; 13th April 2010 at 04:46 AM..
Old 13th April 2010, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Drooooooooooool.
Old 13th April 2010, 05:19 AM
Banned

idncurious is a tad dodgy

I entered many of these domains and they are forwarded to http://www.privateurl.com/

Does anyone know who this privateurl.com belongs to? A quick whois shows NS1.TDC-LTD.COM. But who/what exactly is TDC Ltd and why are all the domains forwarded to this company's website? For what purpose?

Last edited by idncurious; 13th April 2010 at 05:23 AM..
Old 13th April 2010, 05:24 AM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

if a man had a couple chickens he would probably be called a farmer, if he had 1000 chickens he would probably be called a chicken farmer. if i make a lot of money off these idn"s they will say i was a wise investor. if i lost my ass they will say i was a dumb ass domainer.
Old 13th April 2010, 05:26 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idncurious View Post
I entered many of these domains and they are forwarded to http://www.privateurl.com/

Does anyone know who this privateurl.com belongs to? A quick whois shows NS1.TDC-LTD.COM. But who/what exactly is TDC Ltd and why are all the domains forwarded to this company's website? For what purpose?
The dns hasn't been changed yet I guess.

Who are tdc? We need to change your title back to 'Noob'
Old 13th April 2010, 05:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
The dns hasn't been changed yet I guess.

Who are tdc? We need to change your title back to 'Noob'
Call me anything you want. Just tell me. I am dying to know.
Old 13th April 2010, 06:51 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Call me anything you want. Just tell me. I am dying to know.
When I first stumbled in to IDN, thanks to the fluffy buoyant yellow beast, every time I checked the whois on a premium IDN it was registered to TDC or Snow with just a few other players.
Old 13th April 2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
When I first stumbled in to IDN, thanks to the fluffy buoyant yellow beast, every time I checked the whois on a premium IDN it was registered to TDC or Snow with just a few other players.
After googling tdc ltd , if from what i read is correct they used to be a registrar. I had no idea a registrar was allowed to hold/own domain names. I just assumed icann would have some kind of a rule that disallow this cuz of conflict of interest. Guess i am wrong!

As a former registrar no wonder tdc got all the good ones.
Old 13th April 2010, 07:11 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
I had no idea a registrar was allowed to hold/own domain names.
Say it aint so.... Unbelievable ;P
Old 13th April 2010, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Dude, how do you think Snapnames and Namejet make their millions?
Old 13th April 2010, 09:12 AM

Lokai is an unknown quantity at this pointLokai is an unknown quantity at this point

If the whois was updated to a lawyer perhaps for a private sale this was leaked a bit too soon before Mr. Ko could remove his name & personal details.
Old 13th April 2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

There are WHOIS data miners that pay the registrars for access to real-time WHOIS updates.

If you want WHOIS privacy you need to stick it in there right from the get-go. Leave you own info in there for even in hour, and it's too late. SOMEONE will have stored it.
Old 13th April 2010, 01:14 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
super cheap
Oh yeah? How so? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I think it is still too early to call them super cheap as they still have the potential to be super expensive.
Old 13th April 2010, 02:01 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
Oh yeah? How so? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I think it is still too early to call them super cheap as they still have the potential to be super expensive.
How will they have the chance to be super expensive? Honestly i don't care to talk about these specifically, we can but that's not the point. I think that at this point and time, the success of generic product/service IDN.com is solid and i invite you and anyone else to show otherwise.

The below was unknown when we started but is no longer an unknown. The only thing still open to doubt is the date of this happening.

- Will idn.com ever get to be idn.idn
- Will the same registrant automatically control both idn.com and idn.idn