IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2010, 07:49 AM

gmspitalio is an unknown quantity at this pointgmspitalio is an unknown quantity at this pointgmspitalio is an unknown quantity at this pointgmspitalio is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying a chinese IDN

I am thinking of buying a chinese idn from one of the users here in the forum. The idn is registered at ename.cn and has a .cn extension.

Now as I am fairly new to this, I am not sure how it will be work. From having a read there are quite a few restrictions in place and some rather strict T&C's for registering chinese domains.

I am assuming the guy selling me the IDN.cn is based in china and of chinese origin. So, if I were to obtain the domain from him, would there be a risk that I lose (i.e. CNNIC takes it from me) the domain as I am not chinese nor a citizen of the country?

Secondly, I was thinking of opening an ename account and having the seller push the account there from his ename to mine. Would there still be an issue with doing that? What if I want to renew the idn.cn, do I have to submit papers?

Help appreciated. Thanks
Old 25th April 2010, 08:59 AM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer
Re: Buying a chinese IDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmspitalio View Post
I am thinking of buying a chinese idn from one of the users here in the forum. The idn is registered at ename.cn and has a .cn extension.

Now as I am fairly new to this, I am not sure how it will be work. From having a read there are quite a few restrictions in place and some rather strict T&C's for registering chinese domains.

I am assuming the guy selling me the IDN.cn is based in china and of chinese origin. So, if I were to obtain the domain from him, would there be a risk that I lose (i.e. CNNIC takes it from me) the domain as I am not chinese nor a citizen of the country?

Secondly, I was thinking of opening an ename account and having the seller push the account there from his ename to mine. Would there still be an issue with doing that? What if I want to renew the idn.cn, do I have to submit papers?

Help appreciated. Thanks
If you like to get the domain name transfer auth. code from ename -
ename will forward it to your cellphone; so if you don't have a China's cellphone number, then you won't get that auth. code (if you like to sell that domain name someday... )
Old 25th April 2010, 09:11 AM

gmspitalio is an unknown quantity at this pointgmspitalio is an unknown quantity at this pointgmspitalio is an unknown quantity at this pointgmspitalio is an unknown quantity at this point

what about a push from an ename to an ename account
Old 25th April 2010, 10:30 AM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer

Quote:
what about a push from an ename to an ename account

I didn't have this kind of experience before, but I think probably it's ok
Old 25th April 2010, 11:46 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

You can possibly push from ename.cn to ename.com however ename.com have proven to be completely useless, failure to respond to emails, faxes & support tickets unanswered for months.

If you can use the ename.cn interface stay with them for the time being

I think that at the moment transfer is not an option unless you have a registered business and send the required forms to CNNIC via your registrar.
Old 26th April 2010, 06:41 AM

My main concern is, if I buy the domain, given I am not chinese, dont own a business in China, effectively I am the new owner of this domain. Under CNNIC rules you need documentation of all sorts to own a .cn domain. So my question is will I face any problems with this? Or since it is a push from an ename to ename account, and the domain has already been registered to someone else I wont be required to show any identification. it is unclear to me what the procedure is when buying/selling an already registered .cn domain to someone else (specifically a non-chinese) and if there has to be any amendments to the details of the owner.
Old 26th April 2010, 07:02 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My main concern is, if I buy the domain, given I am not chinese, dont own a business in China, effectively I am the new owner of this domain. Under CNNIC rules you need documentation of all sorts to own a .cn domain. So my question is will I face any problems with this? Or since it is a push from an ename to ename account, and the domain has already been registered to someone else I wont be required to show any identification. it is unclear to me what the procedure is when buying/selling an already registered .cn domain to someone else (specifically a non-chinese) and if there has to be any amendments to the details of the owner.
Here is an idea. Don't buy it.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:46 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I have sold .cn recently, 6 weeks ago, which was pushed to the new owner and no documentation was required and the "new" owners whois is showing. Non Chinese to non Chinese btw.

Last edited by Wot; 26th April 2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 26th April 2010, 09:55 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

As long as it lasts.... it appears to be a bit like the Thai government when deciding who can live / work here ... changes according to the wind as far as I can tell .....
Old 26th April 2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
I have sold .cn recently, 6 weeks ago, which was pushed to the new owner and no documentation was required and the "new" owners whois is showing. Non Chinese to non Chinese btw.

thanks thats good to know. Just dont want to end up buying it and have CNNIC take it from me because a) I have no documents b) I am not chinese or a business for that matter. Dont want to risk paying for a domain and then getting it taken from. The person who sold it to me could re-purchase it again should that be the case...hmmm
Old 26th April 2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
As long as it lasts.... it appears to be a bit like the Thai government when deciding who can live / work here ... changes according to the wind as far as I can tell .....
Thai gov & deciding?

A bit of an oxymoron methinks.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:10 AM

has anybody had any problems buying .cn as individuals up to now?

According to sedo, If I buy a .cn idn, even if it is from another user, "the new registrant of the domain, should you reach an agreement with the seller, you will have to provide all the documentation requested by the .cn registry. The documents have to be provided by each new registrant regardless of whether the domain has been registered before or not".

Furthermore, according to CNNIC rules, the registrant must meet following criteria:

1) It is legally established incorporated company or incorporated institution;
2) It shall possess at least 1 million RMB Yuan of the registered capital; It shall set up domain name registration service system within the territory of the People's Republic of China, and shall have the specialty engineers and customer service personnel to engage domain name registration service;
3) It shall have the credit standing and capability of providing services to the customers in a long-term;
4) It shall have business development plans and the relevant technical solutions;
5) It shall have perfect safeguard mechanism on the networks and information securities;
6) It shall have perfect quit mechanism of domain name registration service;
7) It shall meet other requirements prescribed by Chinese government.

My conclusion is then, not to go ahead and buy the .cn as I do not meet any of these criteria. Can somebody who has bought or sold a .cn idn give some advice and if they have had any problems. Thanks

Last edited by gmspitalio; 27th April 2010 at 11:12 AM..
Old 18th July 2010, 02:23 PM

mkellerman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
has anybody had any problems buying .cn as individuals up to now?

According to sedo, If I buy a .cn idn, even if it is from another user, "the new registrant of the domain, should you reach an agreement with the seller, you will have to provide all the documentation requested by the .cn registry. The documents have to be provided by each new registrant regardless of whether the domain has been registered before or not".

Furthermore, according to CNNIC rules, the registrant must meet following criteria:

1) It is legally established incorporated company or incorporated institution;
2) It shall possess at least 1 million RMB Yuan of the registered capital; It shall set up domain name registration service system within the territory of the People's Republic of China, and shall have the specialty engineers and customer service personnel to engage domain name registration service;
3) It shall have the credit standing and capability of providing services to the customers in a long-term;
4) It shall have business development plans and the relevant technical solutions;
5) It shall have perfect safeguard mechanism on the networks and information securities;
6) It shall have perfect quit mechanism of domain name registration service;
7) It shall meet other requirements prescribed by Chinese government.

My conclusion is then, not to go ahead and buy the .cn as I do not meet any of these criteria. Can somebody who has bought or sold a .cn idn give some advice and if they have had any problems. Thanks
If the domain was originally created before this January, the new rules about needing to be a Chinese company don't apply. The domain can be transferred to an individual living anywhere in the world. I suggest you phone ename or chat to them on MSN or QQ and discuss how to do this. They will need a couple of documents to be e-mailed or faxed to them, including a copy of your passport. I currently own nearly 200 IDN.cn as an individual and I have not had a problem. Drop me a PM if you need specific help.