IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2006, 07:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: you are a millionaire idners if ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Well, I am hoping/guestimating for 10x current traffic by the end of 2007.
Well, I am expecting one Japanese to turn in the same total this month as all 900 Japanese achieved last months. and it didn't get started until the 17th of the month! OK, this is exceptional, but be prepared for huge increases!
Old 30th August 2006, 08:34 PM

strah is an unknown quantity at this point

As to Russian domains I predict multiplication typo traffic in 10 times in 3 years.
Because 15,5 % of Russians already have idn enabled browsers:
FireFox 8,5 %
Opera 6,3 %
IE7 0,7 %
http://www.liveinternet.ru/stat/ru/media/browsers.html
About 5 % of Russians during the nearest 5 years will not pass on new browsers and OS as have imperfect computers.
So factor of multiplication connected to browsers - X6.
However in connection with growth of quantity the Internet users in 3 years and to occurrence of a content in idn it is possible to take factor
X10. The problem in that we can predict penetrations idn enabled browsers and a gain of users, but cannot predict speed of occurrence of a content in idn (and it is a primary factor). To some attributes penetration of a content into Russian idn.com slow will be possible to tell only that. I have little nice portfolio ~ 170 Russian idn.com. It generates ~ 80 hosts
at NameDrive and $1,5 day. If in one year there will be no multiplication X2,5 I shall be compelled drop it is a portfolio as it is not self-sufficient.
Unfortunately Russian end users and secondhand dealers do not want to buy these idn.com even on 50 $ for each.
Old 30th August 2006, 10:23 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I agree with you that IDN enabled browser are higher than elsewhere, but Public Awareness of IDN and the existence of IDN domain content is not significantly greater than say Japan. The increase in traffic levels will therefore be similar.

Frankly, a prediction of 10x is laughable even in for 1 year time frame, let alone 3 years. The SEO power of IDN will blow ASCII clean out of the water. Within 3 years ASCII in Russia will be mere curios. Russia is a large country with a rapidly growing economy and a free floating currency. Within 3 years, its is going to be one of the largest economies in Europe, simply because it is going to be providing most of the raw materials and fuel, not only to Europe but also to Japan and China. Russia's economy is highly geared to gas and oil, the prices of which have risen exponentially in the last couple of years. Russian IDN will exceed 10% of the traffic of equivalent ASCIIs domains, which are much, much, much more than 100x current traffic levels for Russian IDN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strah
As to Russian domains I predict multiplication typo traffic in 10 times in 3 years.
Because 15,5 % of Russians already have idn enabled browsers:
FireFox 8,5 %
Opera 6,3 %
IE7 0,7 %
http://www.liveinternet.ru/stat/ru/media/browsers.html
About 5 % of Russians during the nearest 5 years will not pass on new browsers and OS as have imperfect computers.
So factor of multiplication connected to browsers - X6.
However in connection with growth of quantity the Internet users in 3 years and to occurrence of a content in idn it is possible to take factor
X10. The problem in that we can predict penetrations idn enabled browsers and a gain of users, but cannot predict speed of occurrence of a content in idn (and it is a primary factor). To some attributes penetration of a content into Russian idn.com slow will be possible to tell only that. I have little nice portfolio ~ 170 Russian idn.com. It generates ~ 80 hosts
at NameDrive and $1,5 day. If in one year there will be no multiplication X2,5 I shall be compelled drop it is a portfolio as it is not self-sufficient.
Unfortunately Russian end users and secondhand dealers do not want to buy these idn.com even on 50 $ for each.
Old 30th August 2006, 10:42 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I predict we won't see the boom we're expecting with ie7. On the contrary, it will be a slow, but steady, increase in traffic.

Actual users are not used to type IDN. They already know they WILL get an error doing that.

IMPORTANT: English natives don't have the experience, but all the times I tell my friends about some domain address that should have ` or ´ or ~, I always say "don't forget, WITHOUT the ` or ´ or ~!! They already know they WILL get an error otherwise.

It's a new story to new users of the Internet. They will consider it natural.
Old 30th August 2006, 10:55 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
I predict we won't see the boom we're expecting with ie7. On the contrary, it will be a slow, but steady, increase in traffic.

Actual users are not used to type IDN. They already know they WILL get an error doing that.

IMPORTANT: English natives don't have the experience, but all the times I tell my friends about some domain address that should have ` or ´ or ~, I always say "don't forget, WITHOUT the ` or ´ or ~!! They already know they WILL get an error otherwise.

My gut feel is like most things in the consumer market, it won't take millions of consumers to wake up one morning wanting IDN's... it will just take a few corporate advertising machines to convince millions of consumers that they didn't know that they wanted it, but do.

If the advertising machines smell a dollar to be made in IDN, then we are home and dry.
Old 30th August 2006, 11:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:

Yes, the flaw to this argument is, how do they actually explain to themselves that they are not seeing what they are seeing when the IDN URLs are appearing at the top of the search engines. Even if yours aren't, if others are then then the awareness is out there. Even if they don't believe, they will be curious.
Old 30th August 2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I would expect a bump up in traffic once IE7 is released. Not much but maybe 2x to 5x. Users are obviously already typing in IDNs. Most can't get through.

Many of the rest don't know that IDNs exist or that typing them in is possible. These folks will take some time to change their thinking. These are people are probably the biggest group out there with the most potential for us.

IE7 will provide a slight bump up in traffic with a long steady increase over time.

Vista will help introduce IE7 to another group of users, perhaps those with OS older than XP (thus no automatic update for IE7).

Gradual awareness of IDNs coupled with corporate advertising and REAL content will probably provide the largest increase in traffic over time.
Old 30th August 2006, 11:36 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Wait a second. So your saying we are actually going to make money off these? And to think I was just buying them to belong to a group.
This has always been my favorite line on this thread! :p
Old 30th August 2006, 11:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I would expect a bump up in traffic once IE7 is released. Not much but maybe 2x to 5x. Users are obviously already typing in IDNs. Most can't get through.

Many of the rest don't know that IDNs exist or that typing them in is possible. These folks will take some time to change their thinking. These are people are probably the biggest group out there with the most potential for us.

IE7 will provide a slight bump up in traffic with a long steady increase over time.

Vista will help introduce IE7 to another group of users, perhaps those with OS older than XP (thus no automatic update for IE7).

Gradual awareness of IDNs coupled with corporate advertising and REAL content will probably provide the largest increase in traffic over time.
Threre has been a marked increase in Traffic particularly in Thailand since about two weeks ago. I don't think this is particularly correlated with individual domains getting high SERP but perhaps more a general awareness growing regarding IDN. I think people are seeing these in their search results and are already experimenting with typing in.
Old 30th August 2006, 11:44 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
This has always been my favorite line on this thread!
hehe.

Know what? I just hope ie7 will never comes out. It will ruin our millionaire dreams. Let us be as we are now. "Millionaireamers"

I am jooking but, if you know any buddism philosophy you know I am right. Our current "before ie7" state is much better than "after ie7".

Hey, let's start counting time as bie7 and aie7, lol
Old 30th August 2006, 11:50 PM
Veteran

Yes, it is quite clear from the lethargy in the market that most haven't really bought into the IDN dream in a big way.

Well, I can tell you when domains are going from zero to $5 per day in two weeks, that is momentum and is building. That is the kind of boost that we are getting with IE 7 still in the pipe. Get strapped in because this baby is about to blow!

Quote:
hehe.

Know what? I just hope ie7 will never comes out. It will ruin our millionaire dreams. Let us be as we are now. "Millionaireamers"

I am jooking but, if you know any buddism philosophy you know I am right. Our current "before ie7" state is much better than "after ie7".

Hey, let's start counting time as bie7 and aie7, lol
Old 30th August 2006, 11:58 PM
Veteran

Talking Re: you are a millionaire idners if ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Get strapped in because this baby is about to blow!
edited

Last edited by jose; 31st August 2006 at 01:35 AM..
Old 31st August 2006, 12:46 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIDNer
+ your worst IDN is a great IDN in anyone else's portfolio
Good one OldIDNer!

Also...

+ If you've already received at least $10,000 in purchase offers for two or more of your IDNs
Old 31st August 2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
The SEO power of IDN will blow ASCII clean out of the water.
In what consists SEO power of idn in comparison with ASCII? I think IDN has only some marketing advantages before ASCII, but not SEO power. It is not known as perceives Google
idn the domain at calculation of reference ranging - as punycode or as keyword. The variant is most probable that Google at ranging counts domains as punycode, and converting punycode in the native language occurs at formation of delivery by a server. ( it is only cosmetic operation and additional bonuses will not be)
Old 31st August 2006, 01:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strah
In what consists SEO power of idn in comparison with ASCII? I think IDN has only some marketing advantages before ASCII, but not SEO power. It is not known as perceives Google
idn the domain at calculation of reference ranging - as punycode or as keyword. The variant is most probable that Google at ranging counts domains as punycode, and converting punycode in the native language occurs at formation of delivery by a server. ( it is only cosmetic operation and additional bonuses will not be)
Wrong! How the hell do you think I have been putting raw parking pages at the top of Google for Hundreds of domains. Google changed their Algorithm about 2 weeks ago. Trust me, IDNs are now page ranked in the same way the conventional ASCII are in relation to the second level keyword. Of course if they are competing against ASCII for Unicode searches, there really is no contest, everything else being equal. Parked pages should not under normal circumstances be beating fully developed websites, but that is what has been happening. IDN is King!
Old 31st August 2006, 01:09 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes, it is quite clear from the lethargy in the market that most haven't really bought into the IDN dream in a big way.

Well, I can tell you when domains are going from zero to $5 per day in two weeks, that is momentum and is building. That is the kind of boost that we are getting with IE 7 still in the pipe. Get strapped in because this baby is about to blow!
Most people either just don't know what they are, I think. Others will not be convinced until the PPC starts rolling in. You can see that on DNForum, etc. I envision a lot of threads starting out with, "I just got several $x,xxx offers for my domain, should I take it or wait?" in a year or two, though.

I would love to see $5 per day from these domains! I am not going to be that optimistic until I see some sustained results. However, it would be nice to dump most of my ASCIIs once and for all. They are pathetic keywords compared to my IDNs.
Old 31st August 2006, 01:20 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner
+ If you've already received at least $10,000 in purchase offers for two or more of your IDNs
No, it only counts if you have actually closed the deals.
Old 31st August 2006, 01:31 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Parked pages should not under normal circumstances be beating fully developed websites, but that is what has been happening.
IDN parking pages will beat out other websites initially, but they will not remain #1 forever. Having the domain name as the searched keyword does offer advantages but it is not enough to rank at the top. Domains initially indexed will have higher rankings during this "sandbox" phase but will drop back down.

Several IDNers here can attest to this. I don't mean to play down the advantages of IDN, because the advantages are real, but just indexing a parked page is not enough in the long run.
Old 31st August 2006, 01:31 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No, it only counts if you have actually closed the deals.

Well, if the deals were closed, you're certainly not going to be a millionaire if you sell all of your top-tier IDNs for $5K to $10K each - unless you've got a huge boatload of them!

Anyway, the $5K offers that I've received - I'm confident they would have closed, if I was agreeable!
Old 31st August 2006, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Wrong! How the hell do you think I have been putting raw parking pages at the top of Google for Hundreds of domains. Google changed their Algorithm about 2 weeks ago. Trust me, IDNs are now page ranked in the same way the conventional ASCII are in relation to the second level keyword. Of course if they are competing against ASCII for Unicode searches, there really is no contest, everything else being equal. Parked pages should not under normal circumstances be beating fully developed websites, but that is what has been happening. IDN is King!
I observe of several tens indexed by Google idn sites and the parked pages. The general conclusion - idn.com without external links will be in the same delivery in serp as well as Ascii.com. Only links from pages with high page rank is the king in seo.
Just indexed pages in idn.com receive a bonus of the beginner and be valid can highly in serp by poorly competitive words for some days. If to observe month and more you will see that seo Advantages of idn is a myth. To not be proofless I shall result an example for a long time the domain indexed by Google of a lot of months back - http:// даль.com
Word this not competitive, however in google serp by inquiry "даль" the domain даль.com in asshole:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...B8%D1%81%D0%BA
Also Google does not consider that the name of the domain contains a key word "даль"
(a comman "inurl:даль")
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

I am indexed all my parked on namedrive domains and see that google works with them just as with ascii symballs.
So the domain даль.com has advantages only at promotion by inquiry " xn - 80ahw2e ":D