IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2010, 07:22 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough
idn cctld's live in the root : icann

happy cinco de mayo........ in egypt no less.....

good luck finding a proper whisky in Saudi ....
s/

http://blog.icann.org/2010/05/idn-cctlds/

First IDN ccTLDs now available

by Kim Davies on May 5, 2010

Today the first three production non-Latin top-level domains were placed in the DNS root zone. This means they are live! Here is one newly enabled domain with a functional website that works right now: وزارة-الأتصالات.مصر or http://xn----rmckbbajlc6dj7bxne2c.xn--wgbh1c/
If your software does not have full IDN support, this might not work exactly as expected. You may see a mangled string of letters and numbers, and perhaps some percent signs or a couple of “xn--”s mixed into the address bar.

The three new top-level domains are السعودية. (“Al-Saudiah”), امارات. ( “Emarat”) and مصر. (“Misr”). All three are Arabic script domains, and will enable domain names written fully right-to-left. Expect more as we continue to process other applications using the “fast track” methodology.
ICANN staff are still finishing the processing of these domain’s delegations, but now that they are visible in the root zone it is fair to say these are mostly formalities. The remaining tasks include final technical verifications, updating the IANA WHOIS database and publishing the delegation reports.
Now the hard work happens in the countries which have their new IDN ccTLDs. They will now commence their own processes to launch the domains in a way that gives their communities access to put them to day-to-day use.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 6th May 2010 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: Added http URL link: http://xn----rmckbbajlc6dj7bxne2c.xn--wgbh1c/
Old 5th May 2010, 07:32 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: idn cctld's live in the root : icann

BUMP! Was going to post that. All over FB also!
Old 5th May 2010, 07:53 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well, it didn't resolve for me in IE8. Now, there's a surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
happy cinco de mayo........ in egypt no less.....

good luck finding a proper whisky in Saudi ....
s/

http://blog.icann.org/2010/05/idn-cctlds/

First IDN ccTLDs now available

by Kim Davies on May 5, 2010

Today the first three production non-Latin top-level domains were placed in the DNS root zone. This means they are live! Here is one newly enabled domain with a functional website that works right now: وزارة-الأتصالات.مصر
If your software does not have full IDN support, this might not work exactly as expected. You may see a mangled string of letters and numbers, and perhaps some percent signs or a couple of “xn--”s mixed into the address bar.

The three new top-level domains are السعودية. (“Al-Saudiah”), امارات. ( “Emarat”) and مصر. (“Misr”). All three are Arabic script domains, and will enable domain names written fully right-to-left. Expect more as we continue to process other applications using the “fast track” methodology.
ICANN staff are still finishing the processing of these domain’s delegations, but now that they are visible in the root zone it is fair to say these are mostly formalities. The remaining tasks include final technical verifications, updating the IANA WHOIS database and publishing the delegation reports.
Now the hard work happens in the countries which have their new IDN ccTLDs. They will now commence their own processes to launch the domains in a way that gives their communities access to put them to day-to-day use.
Old 5th May 2010, 07:54 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

ROOTY TOOT TOOT!

Looks like .РФ is coming in next week. http://blog.icann.org/category/languages/russian/

Last edited by phio; 5th May 2010 at 08:12 PM..
Old 5th May 2010, 07:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Yep, all you have to do is add the language to IE8 and it works sweet as a nut. No phishing going on there then!

But only from the orignal ICANN link. The IDNForums link doesn't do it.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 5th May 2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 5th May 2010, 07:58 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

bump... funny....

yeah...posted on 5 or 6 domainer group walls on FB....

Think it is proper for any of the oldster/ moonie leaders to post
on the usual ascii dens of denial....

proper courtesy...

s/
Old 5th May 2010, 08:11 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
moonie
RD

Last edited by 555; 5th May 2010 at 08:17 PM..
Old 5th May 2010, 08:13 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Well, it didn't resolve for me in IE8. Now, there's a surprise!
Go to the icann page and hit the domain link. Works fine in Firefox.
Old 5th May 2010, 08:19 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Showing punycode for me on Chrome,FF,Safari and IE8
Old 5th May 2010, 08:26 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very psyched. The good news just keeps coming, and IDN values will just keep rising.
Old 5th May 2010, 08:28 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprewellpj View Post
The good news just keeps coming, and IDN values will just keep rising.
Get used to it.

Last edited by 555; 5th May 2010 at 08:29 PM..
Old 5th May 2010, 08:29 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
Showing punycode for me on Chrome,FF,Safari and IE8
Superfine on Opera, punycode on FF,Safari and IE8.
Old 5th May 2010, 08:32 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Very good news. Hopefully it won't be too long now until the TLDs finally get sorted out and become active.

Alex

Old 5th May 2010, 08:33 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Excellent stuff. Works if you leave out "http://"
Old 5th May 2010, 08:35 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Did something happen today? :D

Quote:
Think it is proper for any of the oldster/ moonie leaders to post
on the usual ascii dens of denial....
It's RD's fault so he should break the news. Without all that hot air he was blowing a few years ago, I, and many of us, wouldn't be here.

Cheers to everyone. Exciting times for sure.
Old 5th May 2010, 08:47 PM

very cool, that Arabic right to left is first....
and also that icann posted a mobile browser photo....

that is the exponential growth user base...right there...
then idn.idn for the gtld's ......
liftoff...

I am not a tequila drinker....but today....no worries....

hey...Muhammed ....pass the salt....and the padron...
good on ya....
Old 5th May 2010, 09:19 PM

Looks like Sammy wins the prize with the closest guess here: http://www.idnbusiness.com/2010/01/w...-be-added.html His guess was only 12 days off.

Congrats Sammy, I'll have to sort through my list to pick a nice one for you. :D
Old 5th May 2010, 10:08 PM

dave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished road

Finally! After 10 years of waiting never thought I will ever see that day… well it started as a “test-bed”
Old 5th May 2010, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Looking good here on Safari/Mac

Party time!

Tried to send the URL with http:// on front to someone via iChat/AIM and I got an error. Sent OK stripped down to just the domain name.

Interesting that they're using a domain with a hyphen in it.

Last edited by Drewbert; 5th May 2010 at 10:54 PM..
Old 5th May 2010, 11:02 PM

saw this today....

Nice to see that Portugal is adding chinese to its mix....

http://www.visitportugal.com/Culture...N/default.html

soon , a site like this will use IDN's to grab traffic and interest...

and will be completely routine for a tourist bureau to have 10 site names etc...rather than 10 mini buttons.

.po in a week or so it seems........very nice...

my bottles are lined up nicely now....

finished...tequila for the Arabic names.....cinco de mayo.... check...done...2x

1- padron....salt lime
2-and a Molson chaser....need to re stock the Heine's....for my single Dutch IDN

( mint tea seemed a little tame for the occasion today..)

vodka is lined up for my Russians'....
I have a bottle of Stoli...but my wife may push me to pour the Grey Goose (french) for her....oh well...

My bottle of Chinese soju ...is ready...

(c'mon the SH Expo launched...can you guys at cnnic/icann do some ordinary PR timing .....ever ??)

My bottle of Japanese sake is likely to keep its dust for how long..??
JPNic ??? anybody home ???
jeeeeeeeeesh.

any way....back to the Padron... (grin)

s/