IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2010, 06:58 PM

dynamicsoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie to IDNs and some confused questions...

Firstly hello.. Been reading the threads in here on and off for last few days.. seems a really good forum..

I have a question.. as I am totally new to IDNs.. and have been Googling for info for the last week or two, I may now have information overload lol

Firstly.. I own a fair few english domains.. and websites.. and picked up a small handfull of chineseIDN.coms a couple of weeks ago..

I was reading the news this week about the first ccTLDs going online..
And keep finding similar story posted on most blogs and newslines.. I'm finding it hard to get a dummies explanation of whats going on.

What do they mean in news items like this quote below about IDN.com being next..?

"Now that IDN.IDN ccTLD capacity is here, the internationalization of IDN.com is the likely next step and both extensions are sure to thrive."

I understand that the Arabic domains that went out were country extension but are .coms not already active?.. I have one on my server, and if I type the chinese characters i find it no problem, and displays as such in correct way.. so do they just mean that outside services (search etc) will not accept them yet?..

Sorry if this seems like a total dumb question.. but have found it hard to get my head round all the terminology .. far too many abbreviations going on I reckon!! haha..
Old 9th May 2010, 07:03 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Re: Newbie to IDNs and some confused questions...

Welcome to IDNForums dynamicsoul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicsoul View Post
What do they mean in news items like this quote below about IDN.com being next..?
Today there is: דוגמא.com , Where the domain part is in a certain language and the TLD is still in Latin characters.
IDN.com being next means that in the future, more then ever near future even , the current registrant of דוגמא.com will be able to get the domain 100% in the native language, דוגמא.קום
It can take as little as a few months or as long as 15 additional months but that really isn't the issue, the important part is that only the current IDN.COM registrant is entitled to the IDN.IDN version for obvious reasons (anything else = confusion).

Last edited by 555; 9th May 2010 at 07:07 PM..
Old 9th May 2010, 07:13 PM

aha.. rightyo..

So if I owned car.com (I dont but example) in chinese I would own the rights to 车.com (whatever .com character would be in chinese I don't know! lol any ideas?).. once the roll it out?

So the current domains I have bought, will be able to have the dot com as chinese also when it all rolls out yeah?

Thanks for answering short and sweet for me

Last edited by dynamicsoul; 9th May 2010 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 9th May 2010, 07:17 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

dynamicsoul welcome to IDNF.

at root zoot introduction:
dot com and dot net will have dot IDN via Verisign, for dozens of languages.
they are not restrained to introduce one language at a time.

555 has it spot on..

but to add:

some "com's" are likely to be scripts of the alliteration of 'com'.
and some will be ideographs of a full word.

company/ commerce/ etc....
net may be represented by words meaning 'network'

separately..

dot org may be 'organization' as full word dot IDN in many languages also.

Steve
Old 9th May 2010, 07:20 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
So the current domains I have bought, will be able to have the dot com as chinese also when it all rolls out yeah?
Yes.
Old 9th May 2010, 07:26 PM

get ya mate.. cheers.. will probably make all the same silly mistakes I made when starting to buy english domains all over again haha.. but will be fun I guess..

One thing I have noticed.. but maybe it won't catch on the same due to language barriers/difference.. but for latin .coms one word domains with stuff like 1 on the end still shifts for decent money.. for example I have usedcars1.com which I bought for a few quid from godaddy as I plan to develop it anyway.. but have had offers double what I paid for it.. and there are a fair few other names like digitalcamera1.com up in premium spots.. so with that in mind I took the plunge of getting car1.com translator1.com , website1.com . news1.com, tv1.com etc in chinese IDNs.. might never be worth anything.. but will maybe look to develop them over coming years.. worth a few quid flutter I guess..
Old 9th May 2010, 07:31 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

I really think you should go for generic product or service without the 1,2,5 or TheGeneric type of names, if you dig in specific niches you can still easily find much better names then what is left in Latin land (you probably won't be able to reg i.e Hotels1. com in Chinese anyways due to ICANN policy. Good luck

also.. does anyone know of a tool or site where I can pump in more than one punycode and get all the language addresses in one go.. rather than having to do them one by one with verisign tool?

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

english second level domains DO NOT have rights to claim IDN dot com second level domains.

I own 'maps' dot com in several languages not English.

maps.com can write me a very large check ...thank you very much.

more likely they won't...but so what...I can wait ...or my 2 sons can wait after me.

the idea that English generic name owners own the rights to any translation of their domains is very humorous to the IDN community...

it is presumptuous that English trumps 200+ languages.

As in the Matrix.... IDNers' took the red pill a long time ago.

cheers...

steve
Old 9th May 2010, 07:33 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
also.. does anyone know of a tool or site where I can pump in more than one punycode and get all the language addresses in one go.. rather than having to do them one by one with verisign tool?
That and much more: www.IDNTools.com
Old 9th May 2010, 07:33 PM

cheers 555.. i did buy a few good ones linked to my current business sites.. with two word keywords in.. so will get them developed first.. just seen the opportunity to grab a few and thought why not lol
Old 9th May 2010, 07:36 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
the idea that English generic name owners own the rights to any translation of their domains is very humorous to the IDN community...
кастелло
Old 9th May 2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
english second level domains DO NOT have rights to claim IDN dot com second level domains.

I own 'maps' dot com in several languages not English.

maps.com can write me a very large check ...thank you very much.
cheers steve.. but I mean't if I owned 车.com (the actual IDN) then I would have the 车.chinese com when it rolls
Old 9th May 2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
I really think you should go for generic product or service without the 1,2,5 or TheGeneric type of names, if you dig in specific niches you can still easily find much better names then what is left in Latin land (you probably won't be able to reg i.e Hotels1. com in Chinese anyways due to ICANN policy. Good luck
ooops.. XN--4GQS5A66Y.COM lol not far off hotels.. but this is the one that seemed to have the largest exact searches in goog tool..

anyway.. Ill stop getting anymore before it gets silly.. and get some proper ones
Old 9th May 2010, 10:40 PM

DomainDialect is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the "soul" man...
Old 10th May 2010, 07:45 AM

why thank you bro
Old 10th May 2010, 06:06 PM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this also apply to cctld's? If I owned a .jp for example, once they fully roll out the .jp extension into IDN would I also have the rights to the .jp extension in Japanese?
Old 10th May 2010, 07:49 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Yep.
Old 10th May 2010, 08:59 PM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the important part is that only the current IDN.COM registrant is entitled to the IDN.IDN version for obvious reasons (anything else = confusion).
How guaranteed is this though? Is there a specific doc that outlines this procedure... I mean, it makes sense for sure, but just playing devil's advocate:D
Old 10th May 2010, 09:10 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockruler View Post
How guaranteed is this though? Is there a specific doc that outlines this procedure... I mean, it makes sense for sure, but just playing devil's advocate:D
Did you see this? http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-idng/msg00223.html
Which led to this? http://idnblog.com/2009/12/03/exclus...omes-verisign/

Mr. Gomes is not only Vice President of Policy and Compliance for VeriSign Information Services (VIS), He is also the GNSO chair.

I hope the above is enough to show you how definite it is but assuming you didn't see it, just think about it, and the more you think about it from different angles, the more you will see there is just no other way. Anything else is disastrous to the internet.