IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2010, 10:37 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Pigeon?

Okay, so I'm trying to understand this.

Cowboy had noticed that Rick hadn't posted in over a month. To tell you the truth. Of any domain blogs I read in my feed, Rick's is one of them I just read a sentence or two. and move on to the next blog.

Mostly, I do this because he only talks about how awesome he was in '98 like some old high-school classmate that was a "stud" football player and yet he still lives in the same town, married his high-school love, lives in the same house, with his parents, 20 years later, talking about how the "yesterday's of life" were so awesome. Sorry it just bugs me.

Until, the Weblo story. This really had me pay close attention because it was his first public major FAIL since .MOBI. He hadn't posted in awhile like Jeff said , I know this because I don't remember tasting poo in my mouth. for awhile. And now when he does post, he uses homemade slang like, eagle, or pigeon.

Did I just get put back in the 6th grade again? I can't get past anything he has to say. It's like a baby calling another an infant. WTF?

Or am I really just that out of touch?

Last edited by sarcle; 28th May 2010 at 10:39 PM..
Old 28th May 2010, 11:05 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Pigeon?

there's been an interesting debate going on in the comments over there for the last few days.

well not quite a debate, more an arse kicking, where a couple of people are tearing chunks out of Rick.

Here's my forecast:

- 2000-2004: Rick proclaims he is king-clever and everyone else stupid for missing the boat and not investing in domains

- 2005-2010: Rick proclaims everyone stupid for not dropping large sums of cash on aftermarket domains

meanwhile he has been, and continues to sell his biggest names for the last couple of years, while at the same time still calling everyone stupid for not parting with huge sums of cash for high profile purchases.

My prediction is that it will come full circle in 201? when he proclaims he again is king-clever and everyone else stupid for missing the boat for not doing what he did in cashing out

Last edited by alpha; 28th May 2010 at 11:08 PM..
Old 28th May 2010, 11:25 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Epic fail

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 28th May 2010 at 11:26 PM..
Old 29th May 2010, 12:53 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

It's fairly obvious he as been hiding under the radar building his IDN portfolio, I believe he is currently testing his investments by putting some up for sale on various forums.

You will note there is a new member here selling a "premium" IDN and using the name Dr. ----, come on Rick you can't fool us all!
Old 29th May 2010, 01:19 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
there's been an interesting debate going on in the comments over there for the last few days.
I did so not want to read the comments but this compelled me. Seems the consensus to me was, "All Hail Rick the Oracle!"

Thanks, I'm even dumber now.

@IDNcowboy

Man that is one tight AS.. er tattoo.

Quote:
You will note there is a new member here selling a "premium" IDN and using the name Dr. ----, come on Rick you can't fool us all!
Old 29th May 2010, 01:28 AM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

So do you believe the right strategy is in cashing out then, Alpha?
Old 29th May 2010, 08:42 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

My guess is that he has made some fairly hefty real estate investment in Florida which have been leveraged with debt. This was probably being paid for by type-in and traffics auctions which have dropped and he is probably trying to sell domains to make ends meet.
Old 29th May 2010, 03:10 PM

Rockruler is an unknown quantity at this pointRockruler is an unknown quantity at this point

Without wanting to come off sounding like a complete idiot I offer this:

I seriously question the validity of domain values in excess of $5000... I think it is the rare case when an end-user will pay that much for an address. I'm starting to see more of it on TV... companies using longer keyword term domains and even made up garbage (one for example was pnp66.com, or something to that effect, can't quite remember).

So I guess the big question is... when is the so called "end-user market" ever going to "wake up" to the value of domains? This extends to IDNs as well. I have a feeling it's not ever going to happen. End users balk at paying princely sums for domains and would rather spend $$ on branding through traditional means, or trademarks.

This isn't 1999, and hasn't been for a long time. I see domain values diminishing over time. Unless you can develop (this is the answer) you'll be waiting a long time for that "right" buyer to come along.

But, then again, maybe I'm a shortsighted fool :p
Old 29th May 2010, 03:27 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

If you searched for car insurance quotes and pnp66.com came 5th in the SERPs, would you click the link?
Old 29th May 2010, 03:30 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Moreover, why would someone sell an asset for less than 5K if it makes more than that in passive income
Old 29th May 2010, 03:31 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockruler View Post

I seriously question the validity of domain values in excess of $5000... I think it is the rare case when an end-user will pay that much for an address. I'm starting to see more of it on TV... companies using longer keyword term domains and even made up garbage (one for example was pnp66.com, or something to that effect, can't quite remember).

So I guess the big question is... when is the so called "end-user market" ever going to "wake up" to the value of domains? This extends to IDNs as well. I have a feeling it's not ever going to happen. End users balk at paying princely sums for domains and would rather spend $$ on branding through traditional means, or trademarks.

This isn't 1999, and hasn't been for a long time. I see domain values diminishing over time. Unless you can develop (this is the answer) you'll be waiting a long time for that "right" buyer to come along.

Some in the end-user market are awake. Like fashion... domains are image. To those who recognize image is important, and possibly critical to their business, they will be the ones willing to pay big bucks for a high-quality domain and suits from Yves Saint Laurent. Those who register domains like myreallycrappybusinessonline.net are also the ones more likely to shop at K-Mart for their business attire.
Old 29th May 2010, 03:46 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

It is also about the cost of SEO to get the domain to top results in google and more importantly to keep it there. much simpler to do with a keyword.com then keywordbullcrapdomainsonline.com
Old 29th May 2010, 04:31 PM

I want to agree with
Quote:
It is also about the cost of SEO to get the domain to top results in google and more importantly to keep it there. much simpler to do with a keyword.com
and

Quote:
If you searched for car insurance quotes and pnp66.com came 5th in the SERPs, would you click the link?
but I have days where I have lost faith in end users coming to domainers to make substantial purchases.

Again, it all comes down to the simple truth that short category descriptive keywords are best as domains. While I don't agree with everything Rick says, it is true that most of what's on the market currently is pigeon-shit, and acquiring that 'diamond in the rough' is near impossible these days. Rick's latest post however, is a fine example of registering pigeon shit domains.
Old 29th May 2010, 07:03 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Perhaps that was not your desire but you certainly came off sounding that way to me.

Quote:

Old 29th May 2010, 07:07 PM
Veteran

Frankly, Rick has his fair share of pigeon shit, and he has paid 6 figures and more for some of it. That much is on record.

Sure we have a lot of domains but few are more than one word, and very few of them are not goods or services descriptive or very distinctive in some way.

Quote:
I want to agree with

and

but I have days where I have lost faith in end users coming to domainers to make substantial purchases.

Again, it all comes down to the simple truth that short category descriptive keywords are best as domains. While I don't agree with everything Rick says, it is true that most of what's on the market currently is pigeon-shit, and acquiring that 'diamond in the rough' is near impossible these days. Rick's latest post however, is a fine example of registering pigeon shit domains.
Old 29th May 2010, 07:42 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

I don't understand, why is everyone talking about Rick this Rick that.... Who cares how much Rick paid for a domain. who cares what ventures Rick invests in. Don't you people have your own head on shoulders, why are you concentrating on what's Rick got instead of what you got? or am i missing a point here?

Last edited by DktoInc; 29th May 2010 at 07:44 PM..
Old 29th May 2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I don't understand, why is everyone talking about Rick this Rick that.... Who cares how much Rick paid for a domain. who cares what ventures Rick invests in. Don't you people have your own head on shoulders, why are you concentrating on what's Rick got instead of what you got? or am i missing a point here?
Agreed.

Quote:
Perhaps that was not your desire but you certainly came off sounding that way to me.
So, rubber duck, are you holding out for end-users?
Old 29th May 2010, 10:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed.

So, rubber duck, are you holding out for end-users?
No, just decent offers, but frankly I am not that bothered. I have a small fortune in probate, so frankly I don't give a shit.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:17 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Schwartz
Then a couple weeks back somebody sent me a simple thought and it is like a pill you can use to tune out the morons of the world. The time wasters. The ones that will never concede a point and usually have an agenda. So, take a deep breath, and print out the following statement and keep it close to you because it will come in handy more often than you might thnk. It will save you time and energy and aggravation. That is if you value your time, energy and well being.

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant person in an Argument"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Schwartz
The DAY I was writing about the FACT that there are still type-in domains for registration fee and PIGEONS and the naysayers of course don't believe it........I registered those domains below. They started getting traffic immediately. One I registered LAST NIGHT already has traffic. This may not be the best example as it may be time sensitive, but right now..........Out of 16 domains I registered on April 29, 11 already are making $$$ and the others are just a bit premature. So for the know nothings.....you still know nothing! But go right ahead and make a fool of yourself.

bpspill.com 255 visitors $12.55 earnings
oilspillingulf.com 132 visitors $11.80 earnings
gulfspill.com 165 and $14.95
bpoilspill.org 76 and $1.17
gulfoilleak.com 70 and $2.08
bpspill.com 244 and $12.55
bpspill.org 17 and .48
bpoilslick.com 1035 and $14.39
gulfcoastoilcleanup.com 15 and $3.99
gulfoilcleanup.com 40 and $6.33
gulfoilleak.com 72 and 2.08

bplivefeed.com 64 and .09 in first 36 hours

So the next time some MORON says there are no more type in domains, tell them the same thing I did in 1999. Tell them they are wrong, lazy, don't know what to look for and others will find them if you don't. Believe me, this is not too good a list. But it PROVES that there are still domains that can be hand registered and make $$$. But of course some MORON with a lot of pigeon shit will even challenge RESULTS! When that happens, I will just look at the post from the past 2 days and so will everyone else. That is my answer before you even ask. Don't argue against PROOF just to argue! Time to LEARN!
I have to confess: I'm a pigeon.

BTW:

oilspill.com - taken
oilspill.net - taken
oilspill.org - taken
oilspill.info - taken
oilspill.me - taken
oilspill.tel - taken
oilspill.tv - taken
oilspill.us - taken
oilspill.biz - taken
oilspill.ws - taken
oilspill.eu - taken

The herd is following.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:14 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

I think he is losing some followers, as these are still available

oilspill.asia Available
oilspill.name Available
oilspill.in Available
oilspill.cc Available
oilspill.be Available