IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2010, 06:22 PM

emjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Respone To An Old Thread About Russian Domains

This is the response to an article on IDNblog.com which was speaking about the "dominance" of .com in the International market, and here is the response:

Great Article. Shows that sometimes people miss the point when they haven't visited the country and seen how things actually operate (with facts). IDNs (not to say .com will fall, because it is obviously super-strong) will win out in foreign countries because people prefer to do business in their own country with their own language. US is a bit different because they think money garnered from .com will be enough to woo anyone...maybe this should be rethought?

Are IDNs not common sense? Dot de is a great example. Intra -country business in Germany is almost always transacted with idn.de or german.de with .com coming a distant 2nd...unless it is an international company. Think..business with international countries is only a small portion of a country's economics.

For those who think englishlanguage.com is always king, think again. Who wants to conform always to a foreign language, such as English, especially if I come from Russia, for example? Come on, let's get realistic. Let's drill down to any Chinese or Russian home and let's see what they speak and what computer language they prefer. The sooner we treat Idns like International real estate, the better.

Again, kudos to Aaron and company, they are pioneering something.

Best To You,

www.IDNPulse.com
Old 8th June 2010, 08:15 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Respone To An Old Thread About Russian Domains

whats different about Russian laanguage in particular is that a fair amount of Russian speakers (due to what once used to be one country = Soviet Union) live outside of Russian Federation. I fully realize that .rf will be quite dominant but i also think that as much all those former republics would want to have thier own extensions such as Ukraine, Baltics, Kazakhstan (and lets not forget millions living in Israel, US, etc...), .com will be one extension that can bring those people together since what unites them all is Russian language.

plus .rf sounds like crap: trying saying .rf 5 times fast
Old 9th June 2010, 12:13 PM

Re: Response To An Old Thread About Russian Domains

Thanks for the reply Emil. In my experience, I've seen that countries like to use their own extensions for domestic business. This is only logical. .com will always have international business relevance but I just don't see it continuing to be the extension of choice for domestic business, except for English speaking countries.

As far as the sounds of extensions are concerned, I don't think it is a big deal. dot de does just fine within domestic business circles in Germany and it is as pronouncable as .rf. If it came down to sound only, we should then all abandon dot com and go for dot co because it will be easier to pronounce, which it is. But of course that will not happen and dot co will just find its place and niche.

Thanks for your input.

Mike Idn Pulse
Old 9th June 2010, 02:23 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point

the whole "not sounding pleasant" argument was my poor attempt at humor, was just bored

in all seriousness though: do you buy the argument that IDN.IDN version of .com, i.e. .ком as the case with Russia will be a worthy challange to .рф?
Old 10th June 2010, 05:00 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

This has been discussed before. For instance:
Russian IDN.com domains - a pessimistic assessment

I think that IDN .рф > IDN .ком, but also that IDN .ком > 0.

Here are a few of the problems with .рф:
  • If there are restrictions on who can own .рф domains, this will limit the number of investors;
  • Ownership disputes over .рф domains will be resolved by the Russian judicial system;
  • Geographic names in .рф will be owned by the government, and thus not available for commercial use;
  • Russian speakers outside the Russian Federation may prefer not to use .рф.

I agree that most Russians will prefer .рф, but that does not mean that .ком has no value. For instance, Google will continue to rank .ком domains highly for matching keywords. And foreign domain investors may feel more comfortable buying .ком domains, for the reasons listed above.

Avtal
Old 10th June 2010, 12:41 PM

Hi,

I don't think ком will prevail over рф for the fact that .kom in Germany would not prevail over .de. Country extensions provide the platform for domestic business, and once again that makes sense. .ком has a place but very limited. рф is the rightful extension for the Russian Federation in terms of country extension and language. And dot ru... well that was just an "extension" bred from the Internet's primary language which was at that time American English and at that time it was the only computer language. "English as the only computer language" is now being tested a bit more with the introduction of IDNs.

I think рф will be used as much as say .fr and .de within their own countries perhaps with a few more regulations. Whether рф is used outside of Russia I don't think makes a big difference. The extension was introduced as the more correct reflection of Russian culture as opposed to the .ru. At that time the anglicized version of Russia was the only one available over the net and now that has been remedied.

I agree .ком has some value because people can type it in in Cyrillic and get the Latin letter result, actually a very practical idea, but that will continue to be for international business uses, not domestic.
Old 10th June 2010, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Of course the IDN.ccTLD argument will always be there, but how often is it actually true?

It is clearly true in the Germany, but is it really true elsewhere? In Russia the dominant extension is dot RU and if this were going IDN then dot Com would probably be a hiding to nothing. But it is not, .рф is starting from scratch, and whilst it may exist in the Root, it not freely available to register yet whilst dot com has been for years. This is interesting simply because it is not clear cut.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:07 AM

Hi,

I think it has to be remembered that past results don't always guarantee future results and this is the argument against the "total" dominance of .com. Economic climates are always changing, that's how life is. Yes the new russian IDN.IDN is starting from scratch but it will have a definite domestic impact. Remember that you have English on your mind as a native English speaker and Russians will have their own native language on their minds, always. Still it comes down to comfortability and we are always more comfortable with our native language, even if I can speak 10 different languages.

I agree Germany is a bit different because they also have a similar alphabet to English but that in fact strengthens the argument for the Cyrillic extension in Russian because it is the native language and Russian speakers will gravitate towards it regardless of the past history of .ru. The only problem, and I see your point, is availability. But that's a different story all together.