IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2006, 04:38 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Some people on dnforum are dropping IDN's

lol... there have been 2-3 ppl on dnforum in the past week that probably have been fed up with bad translations. They seem to be bailing out and selling their IDN names ;-(

Oh well - let them continue to sell their .co.in's and .in's
Old 5th May 2006, 05:35 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Some people on dnforum are dropping IDN's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
lol... there have been 2-3 ppl on dnforum in the past week that probably have been fed up with bad translations. They seem to be bailing out and selling their IDN names ;-(

Oh well - let them continue to sell their .co.in's and .in's

Yes, ultimately, it's traffic, and nice sounding dictionary names do not sound that nice when there's no traffic after one or two years. I foresee the number of drops to increase next year and the year after.

Last edited by touchring; 5th May 2006 at 05:42 PM..
Old 5th May 2006, 07:24 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Yes, ultimately, it's traffic, and nice sounding dictionary names do not sound that nice when there's no traffic after one or two years. I foresee the number of drops to increase next year and the year after.
I would say alot of the words could be used as brands etc. Proof via overture shows that many of these words are popular. I would say alot of the people that will be dropping them within 1-2 years will be those that don't have the money to renew. These people can't wait years until their IDNs become popular.
Old 5th May 2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I think there will be plenty of surprises with regards to IDN traffic. Without Yandex how many Russian terms would you have passed by because US Ovt was "low"? I definitely have a few that I got purely on the basis of Yandex results and discounted the US Ovt. And most languages don't have a Yandex for us to gauge "real" popularity within the native speaking public. Terms with great US Ovt will undoubtedly be great, but good keywords with lesser results could very well be the "dark horses" of IDNs.
Old 5th May 2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I think there will be plenty of surprises with regards to IDN traffic. Without Yandex how many Russian terms would you have passed by because US Ovt was "low"? I definitely have a few that I got purely on the basis of Yandex results and discounted the US Ovt. And most languages don't have a Yandex for us to gauge "real" popularity within the native speaking public. Terms with great US Ovt will undoubtedly be great, but good keywords with lesser results could very well be the "dark horses" of IDNs.
I learned some lessons myself that population does not properly gauge a market. When you were regging lots of hebrew names I was looking the other day... Now I'm pissed as I know that the economy in Israel is strong as well.
Old 5th May 2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
I learned some lessons myself that population does not properly gauge a market. When you were regging lots of hebrew names I was looking the other day... Now I'm pissed as I know that the economy in Israel is strong as well.
Actually I was trying to hold back registering Hebrew names because the population is realitively small compared to others. But it's so much easier for me to find decent terms in Hebrew that I got caught up in the excitement. Even small markets like Hebrew should be decent income generators once IDNs become widely used. At least that's what I keep telling myself .

Up until a few days ago I wasn't getting any Hebrew traffic - now things seem to have jump started. Not sure why. Definitely good news though.
Old 6th May 2006, 01:10 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If people are dropping their IDNs on there it's fine. One of the main problems is no one on there cares to discuss IDN domains (how they are going to be used, progression in other countries, the fact that the search engines are all IDN compatible).

Many of the domainers there only use that site it seems. The info is very limited to them. People will probably contribute more after the bought what they consider a good portfolio. Those of us who got in real early probably have better portfolios with smaller numbers because of the amount of great keywords we were able to get.

I already know that traffic is not an issue. Country extensions like cn & jp are not indexed & type in traffic doesn't exist in foreign countries. The fact that you own a keyword in dot com jp net or cn that companies are paying SEO consultants, or marketers millions of dollars, or even thousands a month is worth holding on for a year.

Just in case times does get rough guys remember. Some of us have pasted the 6 month stage. Start renewing your most valuable domains, or add money to your domainsite account. Don't let DB or EX get your Benz money...
Old 6th May 2006, 02:25 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
I would say alot of the words could be used as brands etc. Proof via overture shows that many of these words are popular. I would say alot of the people that will be dropping them within 1-2 years will be those that don't have the money to renew. These people can't wait years until their IDNs become popular.

Well, i think money isn't an issue at this stage - many names have traffic that can pay many times their renewal - that traffic didn't exist because IE7 hasn't arrived yet is the greatest fallacy for IDNs - and most of us still believe in that.

Even back then in 2004, people had IDNs with lots of traffic - yes, and now some of us now know they kept quiet ....

As for dropping, many will come to a stage when they want to 'trim' their portfolio to make it look nice...so they might let 5% of names drop. For someone with a 2000 name portfolio, that's 100 names.

Many of the names dropped over the past few months, and we picked up a little here and there are actually from our predecessors - yes, they are still in the business, and they already have impressive IDN portfolios and are letting go lesser names.

Last edited by touchring; 6th May 2006 at 02:39 AM..
Old 6th May 2006, 02:41 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yeah I'm in that boat.
At 300 I think I wanted just 200
Now at 500 I want to let about 70.
I want to wait on some though.
My loan related dot nets get ovt bids of $10 & up.