IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2006, 02:02 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
What happens after NamePros gets an IDN section?

What do you guys think will happen with the industry after NamePros get's an IDN section?
They have about 31,000 members so they are the biggest domain forum in English.

I believe that converting your site to one that has international traffic, post, & users is not an easy task. For established forums in English it should be tested first to make sure it doesn't screw things up so that's why I believe they haven't gone that route yet.

But since they have so many domainers, even at the amatuer level how do you think it will affect the market?

I personally look forward to it. With many of the too pro domainers, they get caught up in their ways of evaluating the market NOW instead of thinking of it as an investment.

With even the young, or amatuer domainers on NP many realize that people just might want things in their own language. What's your thoughts? Also I don't have any type of inside scoop or anything. Also I think that by taking their time they might be the first to get their encoding right...
Old 6th May 2006, 02:12 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What happens after NamePros gets an IDN section?

Well, i think practically everyone that is into domains would have heard of IDNs by now, even if the website didn't have an IDN section, people have been talking about it, especially idn.tvs in the .TV section.
Old 6th May 2006, 02:17 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I think many of the new domainers on NP are too preoccupied with Latin based domains (and mostly terrible ones at that) to think about IDNs right now. If NP starts an IDN section that may validate the idea as worthwhile to many of them. I think there will be a large increase in IDNers at that time. However, seeing that most of the best terms are taken and research does take time to find decent IDNs I see a flood of "crap" domains being registered. There will be many appraisal requests and listings for sale of two word combos (or worse) with lines like "babelfish says it means this".

Eventually the market will weed out the weak and we will be left with a much more robust IDN industry where all the Latin based DN forums understand the inevitability and utility of IDNs.
Old 6th May 2006, 02:17 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

That was once my homebase but i dont even attend that much anymore due to the fact that so many people in the chatroom are Bitter they are not in , and dont give you a chance to let them know opportunity is Avail.. , I remember back in Jan. I asked the owner R.J what he thought about IDN's and he told he didnt know really anything about them .... Its a sad sutituation IMO this stuff is 1+1= 2 i dont understand some people or things but thats life
Old 6th May 2006, 02:26 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Actually I think of an established forum they have enough members with just plain bad domains to realize the might be able to have a better opt with IDNs. Not a knock on NP but it's just true.
All my domains were mainly Japan related at first. You can't sell those in English.
Old 6th May 2006, 02:36 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

I never bother to go there any more, since from experience it tends to be the most newbie in feel of the 3 major ASCII domain forums, and consequently there's more junk to wade through there than elsewhere.
Old 6th May 2006, 03:36 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

It will be the same as DNForum...

I remember when Namepros first started out. There were also people that were not domainers.

I would say there are alot of younger people on Namepros who won't understand the importance of IDN's. However there also will be those that are interested in IDNs.
Old 6th May 2006, 05:23 PM

jenni is an unknown quantity at this point

I look forward to when NP gets the IDN section. I am very hopeful I will be able to sell some of my IDN then.
Old 6th May 2006, 05:29 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

There should be no separate IDN section. IDNs are no different that English domains.
Old 6th May 2006, 10:20 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
There should be no separate IDN section. IDNs are no different that English domains.

Im with you on this one !
Old 6th May 2006, 11:03 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

I'm not really interested in any "johnny come latelys" To tell you the truth I really hate going there. Seems most of their talk is about "hypothetical questions of hypothetical situations" There are some decent threads but most of the members are of a younger audience without hardly any direction or insight. And not having an IDN section after they know about IDNs really proves the point. In this game you don't get to make a forum after something works and say "see we knew it all along."
Old 6th May 2006, 11:23 PM

IDN.TV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to IDN.TV Send a message via Yahoo to IDN.TV Send a message via Skype™ to IDN.TV

As a newbie when you get to know about domains the first forum you would register is namepros, while in namepros for sometime you will look around in the forum, and if you come across .TV which needs a high risk apetite (there are very few people who are ready to take that risk of paying 30$), so they prefer the less cheaper tlds (in price). Once you are ready to take that risk then you look around some more for a better available options in the domaining industry and the you will get to hear about IDNs, and then you get to hear about idnforums. The intial step looks like a big step as it looks like a big risk, as all your fellow domainers in namepros are less risk oriented. Once you are in the IDN biz, you will start realizing this is way less riskier then the crazy ascii.

Atleast this is what I went through, and when you come here, you see the unlimited options for obtaining good doamins.

— Umberto Eco
Old 6th May 2006, 11:31 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
I disagree with this. I believe that IDNs have just as much potential, actually much, much, more than ASCII domains. But it's nice having seperate forums so that I don't have to wade through 500 threads of meaningless garbage to get what I want. Domains aren't people and seperating the forums in this case is just good organization not segregation.

Last edited by sarcle; 6th May 2006 at 11:34 PM..
Old 6th May 2006, 11:38 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Separate by language only.

That way, non-latin language domains transliterated into latin will be shown for what they are: junk.