IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2010, 03:50 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Verisign will be applying to several .com .net

http://screencast.com/t/NWNlMDgyYTEt From today's call, in case anyone needs to hear it again. And again. And again. And still can't act on it. LMFAO is an understatement.
Old 15th July 2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

idncurious is a tad dodgy
Re: Verisign will be applying to several .com .net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
http://screencast.com/t/NWNlMDgyYTEt From today's call, in case anyone needs to hear it again. And again. And again. And still can't act on it. LMFAO is an understatement.
Thanks you. That was music to my ears

CAn you provide bit more info about it? (ie. Which meeting/conference call that is from? Who is the person speaking? ) thanks

Last edited by idncurious; 15th July 2010 at 04:20 PM..
Old 15th July 2010, 04:27 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

The speaker is Mr. Chuck Gomes, it is from today's GNSO Council Teleconference and he is the GNSO Chairman, He is also the vice president of policy and compliance at Verisign.
Old 15th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

idncurious is a tad dodgy

Quote:
The speaker is Mr. Chuck Gomes, it is from today's GNSO Council Teleconference and he is the GNSO Chairman, He is also the vice president of policy and compliance at Verisign.
thank you!
Old 15th July 2010, 04:47 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Motion Passed: https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/in...5_july_motions

http://screencast.com/t/ZDc2MTEwNz

• The same Registry Operator (for an existing gTLD or a proposed new gTLD) could apply for a string that is similar to an existing or applied for string in a manner that is not detrimentally similar from a user point of view. For example, it is possible that an applicant could apply for both a gTLD with a conventional ASCII label and a corresponding internationalized gTLD (IDN gTLD) that could be deemed to be similar but not cause the detrimental confusion that the GNSO recommendation was trying to avoid.

• A situation where there is an agreement between a new applicant Registry Operator and the Registry Operator of an existing gTLD that allows for better service for the users in the geographical area where the new gTLD will be offered. For example, MuseDoma, the Registry Operator for .museum could enter into an agreement with a new gTLD applicant to offer an IDN version of .museum for a specific language community. The two strings might be judged to be similar but their delegation would not cause detrimental confusion.
Old 15th July 2010, 05:09 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

About time... Time to open your wallets too
Old 15th July 2010, 05:28 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Do you mean to tell me that all the stuff RD has been spouting for years is true.

Huh
Old 15th July 2010, 06:32 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

When?
Old 15th July 2010, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Do you mean to tell me that all the stuff RD has been spouting for years is true.
We can all pat him on the back in Prague in October.
Old 15th July 2010, 07:28 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

Gary,
nearly all the stuff from RD has been true.

especially the invective stuff....(grin) that was 100% spot on.
the US economic oracle stuff alone....

and most of the slams on American culture...

Others will have to comment on whether all of the cricket references were true.
Baseball's hall of fame is putting an exhibit at Lord's...so who knows if boundaries ever get chicken suit mascots. Excuse me ....game hens.

but it was always a guess if Verisign would move with the new gtld wave, or be pressured or be cautious with IDN gtld's for com/net after 20 or 50 new '.nyc' / 'eco' tld's get launched.

Really.... Verisign still has the IDN browser plug in pages ( i-DNS) still posted !!!

David was always correct on the inevitability of this motion for gnso.
Having Gomes as gnso chair was a nice push...

Now that 4 arabic, 1 russian, and 4 chinese cctld's are in the root, Verisign has the ability now to say that they endured a 12 to 18 month wait or the cctld's have had a 12 to 24 month marketing or 'innovation' headstart.

The earliest rejoicing in my opinion is for Russian IDN holders.
com/KOM will enjoy a branding advantage over ascii RU and idn RF/PO

Then all the right to left languages. Arabic and Hebrew....Urdu/ Farsi who knows.

As for my majority holdings in Chinese IDN dot com....

I could care less.

David's best point over 4 years for me has always been that IDN dot com's in China, simply can not be confiscated as CN's can.
Blocked yes, stolen no.

That was my Moonie moment.

I had 300 IDN dot cn's up to that point.
I dumped 250 of them.

And those 50 , I have the dot com as well.
So I don't give a shit, 2X.

Understanding what David was articulating, saved me from spending $20,000 in renewals.
Enduring $2000 / yr in renewals to parallel my $400 com renewals for the duplicates is
why David is my favorite British ranter .
He still pales for me relative to Kingsley Amis, MP/ Galloway, and journo Robert Fiske.
But I know he is trying

100's of b.s "gongsi" this, and 'dot com dot cn' posts are coming as our IDN membership will grow faster here at IDNF.

idn.gongsi is now idn.gongsi.zhongguo as he predicted.

so all of those Chinese idn.gongsi owners can kiss my MeiGuo ass. (grin)

a 4 year Moonie...and I'm proud.
Steve
Old 15th July 2010, 07:41 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
Gary,
nearly all the stuff from RD has been true.

especially the invective stuff....(grin) that was 100% spot on.
the US economic oracle stuff alone....

and most of the slams on American culture...

Others will have to comment on whether all of the cricket references were true.
Baseball's hall of fame is putting an exhibit at Lord's...so who knows if boundaries ever get chicken suit mascots. Excuse me ....game hens.

but it was always a guess if Verisign would move with the new gtld wave, or be pressured or be cautious with IDN gtld's for com/net after 20 or 50 new '.nyc' / 'eco' tld's get launched.

Really.... Verisign still has the IDN browser plug in pages ( i-DNS) still posted !!!

David was always correct on the inevitability of this motion for gnso.
Having Gomes as gnso chair was a nice push...

Now that 4 arabic, 1 russian, and 4 chinese cctld's are in the root, Verisign has the ability now to say that they endured a 12 to 18 month wait or the cctld's have had a 12 to 24 month marketing or 'innovation' headstart.

The earliest rejoicing in my opinion is for Russian IDN holders.
com/KOM will enjoy a branding advantage over ascii RU and idn RF/PO

Then all the right to left languages. Arabic and Hebrew....Urdu/ Farsi who knows.

As for my majority holdings in Chinese IDN dot com....

I could care less.

David's best point over 4 years for me has always been that IDN dot com's in China, simply can not be confiscated as CN's can.
Blocked yes, stolen no.

That was my Moonie moment.

I had 300 IDN dot cn's up to that point.
I dumped 250 of them.

And those 50 , I have the dot com as well.
So I don't give a shit, 2X.

Understanding what David was articulating, saved me from spending $20,000 in renewals.
Enduring $2000 / yr in renewals to parallel my $400 com renewals for the duplicates is
why David is my favorite British ranter .
He still pales for me relative to Kingsley Amis, MP/ Galloway, and journo Robert Fiske.
But I know he is trying

100's of b.s "gongsi" this, and 'dot com dot cn' posts are coming as our IDN membership will grow faster here at IDNF.

idn.gongsi is now idn.gongsi.zhongguo as he predicted.

so all of those Chinese idn.gongsi owners can kiss my MeiGuo ass. (grin)

a 4 year Moonie...and I'm proud.
Steve
Long Live King David!!!
Old 15th July 2010, 09:53 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Fantastic!!! Thanks Michael.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:03 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprewellpj View Post
Fantastic!!! Thanks Michael.
My pleasure Aaron. I just find things.

Only 1 broken link related comment @ your blog. I wonder why... http://idnblog.com/2010/07/15/gold-r...sign-formally/

Last edited by 555; 16th July 2010 at 10:05 AM..
Old 16th July 2010, 01:51 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right -- the lack of comments on the blog post is strange -- especially as I just checked my blog analytics and it is one of my most read posts.

I guess the readers popped some champagne before they got a chance to comment
Old 16th July 2010, 02:33 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Verisign's timing is masterful. This will go through on the nod at the next Director's Retreat. They didn't show their hand until it was too late to counter. You have to admire that Poker Face.
Old 16th July 2010, 05:25 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
You have to admire that Poker Face.
техасский-холдем.ком will soon be a reality :D Great news all the way around!
Old 16th July 2010, 06:35 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the news Michael. RD, you're the Man!
Old 16th July 2010, 06:58 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprewellpj View Post
You're right -- the lack of comments on the blog post is strange -- especially as I just checked my blog analytics and it is one of my most read posts.

I guess the readers popped some champagne before they got a chance to comment
Everyone is watching, and everyone is mumbling under their breath, but some of the smarter cookies are talking
Old 16th July 2010, 09:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
Thanks for the news Michael. RD, you're the Man!

Thanks. I just wish my father had lived long enough to hear that. He died a multi-millionaire, still believing that I was a waster.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:17 PM

@RD - You are a true visionary.