IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

View Poll Results: What would you sell your portfolio for?
$5,000 to $20,000 3 8.82%
$20,000 to $50,000 2 5.88%
$50,000 to $100,000 3 8.82%
$100,000 to $300,000 4 11.76%
$300,000 to $600,000 2 5.88%
$600,000 to $1,000,000 4 11.76%
$1,00,000 to $3,000,000 4 11.76%
$3,000,000 to $6,000,000 1 2.94%
$6,000,000 to $10,000,000 0 0%
$10,000,000 up 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2006, 04:29 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
What amount would you sell your portfolio for?

Seeing that some people would cash out if giving the oppurtunity I think it's a pretty good question to ask yourself.

I believe there are others who would quickly follow with posting their entire portfolio, apartment, & next door's yard furniture if Edwin's portfolio gets bought out quick.

So what would be a good amount that would make you cash out in the month of May 2006. This is going to be a public poll, also please post why you would at that price (even general info is fine)...
Old 7th May 2006, 04:35 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: What amount would you sell your portfolio for?

As I've already posted elsewhere, I'd sell out at the right price because I'll still have 1,700 .co.uk domains (including maps.co.uk, logo.co.uk, britain.co.uk, kids.co.uk etc.) and another 1,300 .com/net/org ASCII domains. So while I might miss the bulk of the IDN growth under such a scenario, I could harness some of the cash for other purposes that might prove equally lucrative, while still keeping both feet deep in the domain game.
Old 7th May 2006, 04:54 AM
A.W.O.L

If it was this month I'd be happy to go for 2 to 3 mill with my portfolio of 500 domains. Some of the competitive words in the job related field especially. Many of the companies in Tokyo would easily pay between $50,000 to $100,000 to rank number 1 for these 5 terms I own. Why sell the domain for less I figure.

The travel related terms will probably go for $2,000 to $50,000 to end users depending on the places.

They'd also get terms like adult video, TV Games, PC Games, Bikini Idols, Sale, Kyoto, Rotemburu, Daytrader, plus the collection of alcoholic beverages..

You know what... After remembering all these I own.. It does seem cheap.

I do think with that kind of money I could develop a huge multi million Japanese dollar portal though.
Old 7th May 2006, 05:04 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
If it was this month I'd be happy to go for 2 to 3 mill with my portfolio of 500 domains. Some of the competitive words in the job related field especially. Many of the companies in Tokyo would easily pay between $50,000 to $100,000 to rank number 1 for these 5 terms I own. Why sell the domain for less I figure.
If you can really land those kinds of sales in the near-term, you should be selling domains as fast as you can and multiplying your potential earnings by buying other stuff cheaper on the aftermarket! From the evidence on this forum and elsewhere, $50,000 will buy you virtually any IDN you like, take your pick...

Last edited by Edwin; 7th May 2006 at 05:17 AM..
Old 7th May 2006, 05:23 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

I have contacted many players to sell my 50 names or more for low to mid xx,xxx$ in january

In March I was asking high xx,xxx$

In April I asked low xxx,xxx$

Right now I think I would take 150,000$ which equal 3000$ per name

I think in 2007 or 2008 I won't accept 100,000$ for the top one only

but people still has no ears to listen and my emails will be witness of their slowness.
Old 7th May 2006, 05:23 AM
A.W.O.L

I'm clamping down a bit on the cheap sales & this week getting a friend of mine to organize about 400 domains in my portfolio for the Japanese market.
I'm also deciding between 2 friend's companies to actually take the inquiries for a good percentage for perhaps a year.
Old 7th May 2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I'm clamping down a bit on the cheap sales & this week getting a friend of mine to organize about 400 domains in my portfolio for the Japanese market.
I'm also deciding between 2 friend's companies to actually take the inquiries for a good percentage for perhaps a year.
Are you actually getting UNSOLICITED inquiries at the moment? Or do you mean to generate leads and approach potential corporate buyers?
Old 7th May 2006, 05:37 AM

IDN.TV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to IDN.TV Send a message via Yahoo to IDN.TV Send a message via Skype™ to IDN.TV

If IPTV becomes a reality, then I will make 500K (in 10 years)

If 80 milllion Telugu speaking indians use telugu IDNs, for my 50 domains I will make atleast 500k (10K per domain I know I am dreaming...but worth a dream)

If all other languages are well used in india, I will make 100K.

That makes 1.1 million, man I am rich .

Its always nice to dream, one thing we can sleep happily, while all the already rich can't dream as much.

With my other ascii domains...I can retire....

— Umberto Eco
Old 7th May 2006, 05:46 AM
A.W.O.L

Preparing a portfolio site in Japanese & will start doing promotions of it in Japanese. No unsolicited inquiries. I probably wouldn't even notice if I got them.
There are target companies to pitch to that I already have ties with anyway.
I think I did a good part in getting good domains in the hands of IDNF members worldwide, I'm going to start looking for sales in Japan. This way I can get end user prices...
Old 7th May 2006, 05:53 AM

Sounds like an exciting plan. I guess if you can find the right approach/process to reach - and persuade - end-user buyers to pay end-user prices, then you can start gobbling down other domains and even entire portfolios, safe in the knowledge that you'll be able to turn a massive profit on them.

Even in the ASCII world, the gulf between reseller and end-user pricing is often 5x-10x or more, so I suspect it will be much higher in IDNs for some time to come...
Old 14th May 2006, 01:53 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDN.TV
That makes 1.1 million, man I am rich .
Just don't forget you are going to have to share with the tax man! To retire in style these days your talking $2 to $3 mil, generating maybe $ 150- $200k income per year off the principle. Thats still not living extravagent if you figure basic retirement communities, health care, travel, etc.
Old 14th May 2006, 01:58 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Just don't forget you are going to have to share with the tax man! To retire in style these days your talking $2 to $3 mil, generating maybe $ 150- $200k income per year off the principle. Thats still not living extravagent if you figure basic retirement communities, health care, travel, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
And a will ain't going to be much help if your profits have all been taxed up the jacksy.

Anyone with a _potential_ substantial future asset value on their hands needs competent tax structure advice NOW.

If you suddenly find yourself with millions of dollars of domains in your personal posession, you might need a case of vaseline handy because your relevant tax authority is going to LOVE YOU LONG TIME.

DO IT NOW, DO IT PROPERLY.

http://sovereignsociety.com/ might be a good first stop.
I was told this is the way to go , im going to do alot of reading up on it