IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Exclamation Google and GEO Domains

Every domainer is talking about this image:

http://blog.converseon.com/2010/08/1...n-local-tests/
http://www.newfoundnames.com/domain-...lots-of-value/

Opinions?!
Old 14th August 2010, 06:35 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Google and GEO Domains

I don't see the serps that way. Here you see the map in the main (middle) colum with some organic searches and only a few paid ads.

I am not sure if Google will ever go 100% non-organic on it's first page of serp.

Last edited by squirrel; 14th August 2010 at 06:54 PM..
Old 14th August 2010, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Time to change my homepage, me thinks.

Who in hell would want to use a search engine that just returns commerical directory results?

They had a great commercial model but seem to want to throw it on the fire to satisfy the greed of Wall Street. Adios Amigos!
Old 14th August 2010, 06:45 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Loving Microsoft lately! Bing is great, ie9 is great!
Old 14th August 2010, 07:12 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

When I've seen the map on Google results along with various listings shown on the map - I always see these on the right side of the map - with the normal listings appearing underneath - as shown in the image below.

The way that they show the results in Jose's image are really horrible, and make it appear as though the first page of results are all paid listings. At least the way the have the results in my screenshot is a little more acceptable.

I just hope that the way I see this isn't about to change, and we are shown a first page for the serps filled with all paid ads - now that would be a real bummer.

Alex

Last edited by alexd; 14th August 2010 at 07:13 PM..
Old 14th August 2010, 07:27 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

Google is at its Windows Vista moment.

The Google/Verizon net neutrality issue is at the heart of this as well.

Mobile searches are growing on a log curve.
Either via the mobile browser or the installed search bar in Android.

keyword search term click throughs via mobile are abysmal.
and banner click throughs via AdMob banners are abysmal relative to Google's 2 billion per month on the wireline web.

Facebook usage on mobile is a new form of search for a lot of people.

Need a dry cleaner, post it on Facebook, and one of your 1000 +++ "friends" will view your post and reply.

Granted, it is not authoritative...

Facebook with 500 million users, is seeing data and connections that AOL used to see.

but it has to invade privacy to monetize it.

The paradigm of Google having the best results for 2/3/4/5 word searches in the right context, right timing, and right location in the right language is
laughable.

The web is becoming the mobile web for 4 billion people.
1 billion people have mobile web/sms/wap and don't have a toilet or running water.

Google reverse engineering itself back to the yellow pages ....blah blah blah..

the whole idea of owning a domain so Google will be your sugardaddy is a mirage.
It was a mirage in English, and it is a psychotic issue for IDN's.

The google / heroin addiction for ascii'ers had a great run.

The google of mobile is your social network ..
100 billion dollars/ year spent on SMS alone mocks Google's belief that it can change its 22 billion in ad revenue to 22 billion in mobile ad revenue.

welcome to mobile telecom Sergey/ Larry....
incumbent national carriers intend to take your OS, and give you nothing....

China handsets have Android OS and Baidu as default ....

Old 14th August 2010, 07:44 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

http://goo.gl/9qni

wsj article..............
Old 14th August 2010, 10:02 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

The point is that although in theory it will increase their revenue, in reality it negates the whole point of using Google in the first place. I have already change my homepage to Bing for want of a better alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
When I've seen the map on Google results along with various listings shown on the map - I always see these on the right side of the map - with the normal listings appearing underneath - as shown in the image below.

The way that they show the results in Jose's image are really horrible, and make it appear as though the first page of results are all paid listings. At least the way the have the results in my screenshot is a little more acceptable.

I just hope that the way I see this isn't about to change, and we are shown a first page for the serps filled with all paid ads - now that would be a real bummer.

Alex
Old 14th August 2010, 10:31 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

I too still see this the same way I have for years, as @alexd posted. But I don't care too much what they decide to do.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw View Post
I too still see this the same way I have for years, as @alexd posted. But I don't care too much what they decide to do.
I could give a shit about their monetization model. I just want the best search engine. If this is their model, it doesn't work for me, I would sooner use Yell.com.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:43 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
the whole idea of owning a domain so Google will be your sugardaddy is a mirage.
It was a mirage in English, and it is a psychotic issue for IDN's.
best quote I've seen in a while
Old 14th August 2010, 10:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw View Post
best quote I've seen in a while
Bottom line is that Generic Domains in whatever script are more fundamental than Google. Perhaps the golden days of parking are gone for good, but good generic domains in sound extension are always going to be bankable.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:19 PM

mdw:

thanks for the complement.

Being right in market analysis, and being right in investment IDN decisions are NOT the same thing.

Dropping 250 IDN.cn 's and keeping 50 is my biggest lesson so far.

Many people entering IDNF years ago, or even recently, bring their ASCII assumptions with them.

They mostly never questioned their assumptions.

They bring a strong bias, that English speaking ASCII domainers need to bless IDN's to confirm their investment worthiness.

IDN's are for populations of the languages finally liberated by the root zone entry and browser compliance.

Now that Verisign is 90% +++ dependent on com/net revenue.
They are now dependent on ASCII renewals and IDN adoption.

Now one more assumption is collapsing.
Google motivation to be a SERP/ SEO sugardaddy.

If one can believe that a full online business can be built from a domain name first, then $8 renewals are never a poor investment.

If you hand reg'd it, even better.

The 10x return finished 3 years ago.

The 100x return per name is wrapping up right now.

The 1000x return for great 1/2 word names relative to reg fee, is here.

The 10,000x return for 1 word IDN's will remain unreported 99% of the time for a few more years.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Time to change my homepage, me thinks.

Who in hell would want to use a search engine that just returns commerical directory results?

They had a great commercial model but seem to want to throw it on the fire to satisfy the greed of Wall Street. Adios Amigos!
Another reason to change our homepages:

http://searchengineland.com/google-n...e-domain-49066
http://searchengineland.com/google-s...e-domain-49025

I think Bing will gain significant market share soon. Especially since Yahoo's recent dead.
Old 26th August 2010, 08:16 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Jeez - you should be fucking delighted that the terms in the search appear so much in the results ... get a grip.