IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2006, 02:54 PM

falco85 is an unknown quantity at this point
my first IDN domains, and questions

Hi there,
I have just found this forum looking for info about IDN, and did some little researc to register the following russian IDNs:

из.com
вот.com
ряд.com
их.com
ни.com

they have google hits above 10 millions (one reaches 60 millions).

Anyway, how can I check the yandex score? where's their keyword tool?

moreover, how can I optimize the domains at namedrive in order to show russian ads only? Thanks!
Old 7th May 2006, 03:16 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: my first IDN domains, and questions

Yandex wordstats:
http://wordstat.yandex.ru/advq?rpt=ppc&shw=1

Yandex:
http://www.yandex.ru/

These seem to translate to words like 'From', 'Here ', 'Them', 'Not' etc
Was this your intention?
Old 7th May 2006, 04:24 PM

my intention was to grab the last 2-3 chars name I saw available at the moment..
Old 7th May 2006, 04:28 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I kinda think that they (Two & three foreign language character names) dont hold the same value as ASCII two or three character domains. I could be wrong.

Last edited by mulligan; 7th May 2006 at 04:31 PM..
Old 7th May 2006, 05:09 PM

I think that it's just a question of time. None of them were worth anything in mid 90s when they were all free to register, and now they are worth $3k and more. don't you think so?
Old 7th May 2006, 05:22 PM

Possibly, but if you're going for all the chinese combinations then with about 47,000 characters in the Kangxi dictionary thats about 2,209,000,000 2 character combinations alone, never mind 3 letter combinations.
Though literacy for the average citizen is reckoned at 2000 thats still 4 million...

Russian has 1,089 2 letter combos and 35,937 3 letter combos so deep pockets are required to scoop them all..

The trouble is deciding which ones are of any value. Its not as simple as the English 2 & 3 letter combos, there is always someone who can use even the ugliest 3 letter combo
Old 7th May 2006, 05:57 PM

Oh, also forgot to add that I also bought
кинофильмов.com
оплаты.com
магазина.com

that mean "payments", "shop" and "films" in russian.

their yandex figures are 48084 , 176772, 2122208 .
Old 7th May 2006, 06:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
I kinda think that they (Two & three foreign language character names) dont hold the same value as ASCII two or three character domains. I could be wrong.
Difficult to see why they should not be. Russians use acronyms and it is likely they will want them for the very reasons we do.
Old 7th May 2006, 06:52 PM

I was thinking about the present time, and maybe in the future, when there is nothing left to register then thats when the value for them will be at a premimum.

There are so many good generic terms in so many different languages still available (With the exception of Japanese)

If you can afford to scoop up a large number of them and hold them for x number of years then it might be worth it
Old 8th May 2006, 02:14 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by falco85
Oh, also forgot to add that I also bought
кинофильмов.com
оплаты.com
магазина.com
that mean "payments", "shop" and "films" in russian.
their yandex figures are 48084 , 176772, 2122208 .
I think you got the terms from Yandex mixed up with yours which are close, but ont on target.
магазин gets 2,122,208
not змагазина

оплата gets 176,772
not оплаты

кинофильмы gets 48,084
not кинофильмов

Sometimes yandex can point you to the word that is searched for. Languages are tricky. Not saying your idns are not good, they are just not top searched for spelling of these terms according to the Yandex scores, and trying to help you out before your reg more varietals.
Old 8th May 2006, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Difficult to see why they should not be. Russians use acronyms and it is likely they will want them for the very reasons we do.
Confession time, folks.

Last week (was it? this last few months have been plain crazy for me) I regged every available 2 letter cyrillic .com that shows OV US stats. 130 domains (approx)

Tonight, after some prodding by another board member who shall remain nameless - although I will hold him personally responsible if it all turns to custard, I regged all the available 3 letter cyrillic .com's that showed OV US stats. 630 odd domains.

Call me crazy. You might be right.

That also puts me over 2200 idn regs.

Although I'm not officially crazy until IDN regs exceed ASCII regs. Need anohter 1000 before that milestone is reached.

If you feel left out not having a 3 letter russian idn that scores in OV US, be aware that I will do swaps for other names you have if I deem them suitable
Old 8th May 2006, 05:11 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you also registered all available 2 characters arabic with ovt? :p ....

Last edited by touchring; 8th May 2006 at 05:16 AM..
Old 8th May 2006, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Arabic is just too confusing for me.

Or was that a joke?

Tell me, I have no idea.
Old 8th May 2006, 05:45 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

оплаты.com - very good

кинофильмов.com - junk
магазина.com - junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Confession time, folks.

Last week (was it? this last few months have been plain crazy for me) I regged every available 2 letter cyrillic .com that shows OV US stats. 130 domains (approx)

Tonight, after some prodding by another board member who shall remain nameless - although I will hold him personally responsible if it all turns to custard, I regged all the
available 3 letter cyrillic .com's that showed OV US stats. 630 odd domains.
Thats a smart move, although I went through the list of what I thought of as valuable 2 and 3 letter combinations in February and either took them or they were taken already.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 8th May 2006 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 8th May 2006, 05:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Arabic is just too confusing for me.

Or was that a joke?

Tell me, I have no idea.

:o Arabic letters when combined stick together. Does Arabic got initials??

Last edited by touchring; 8th May 2006 at 05:59 AM..
Old 8th May 2006, 06:01 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
:o Arabic when combined stick together.
That greatly reduces the number of compound domains that can be registered. Do you think that the Arabic hyphen becomes the norm when constructing multi-word domains?
Old 8th May 2006, 06:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
That greatly reduces the number of compound domains that can be registered. Do you think that the Arabic hyphen becomes the norm when constructing multi-word domains?

I tried using Arabic hyphen, but after putting that in, it sticks the words together and it gets no ovt
Old 8th May 2006, 06:31 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I tried using Arabic hyphen, but after putting that in, it sticks the words together and it gets no ovt
So much for that idea...

End-users re-inforce generic domain mindshare when they register generic derivatives. They'll register something like スーパーホテル.com as an alternative to ホテル.com. As a result, the Japanese IDN pool for end-users is virtually unlimited.

This is clearly not the case with Arabic domains, unless there's some sort of alphabetical joining mechanism that we don't know about.
Old 8th May 2006, 06:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
So much for that idea...

End-users re-inforce generic domain mindshare when they register generic derivatives. They'll register something like スーパーホテル.com as an alternative to ホテル.com. As a result, the Japanese IDN pool for end-users is virtually unlimited.

This is clearly not the case with Arabic domains, unless there's some sort of alphabetical joining mechanism that we don't know about.

Well, that's why Arabic domains are so valuable, with the double word option out. Also, if you look at it - i maybe wrong - most arabic names are single words, e.g. the island, etc.
Old 8th May 2006, 07:01 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Confession time, folks.

Holy crap! I thought that was a joke that falco made about there being no 2 letter Russian IDNs left (or just those with Ovt). I went through them a couple of months ago and picked out 10 or so. I was wondering when someone would register all the rest but didn't think it would be for a while.

Quote:
Well, that's why Arabic domains are so valuable, with the double word option out.
In the long term I see Arabic domains being second in value only to Chinese. Or maybe third if Hindi content beings to proliferate.

Last edited by thefabfive; 8th May 2006 at 07:06 AM..