View Single Post
Old 15th June 2006, 01:08 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: New Updates at Name Pros !

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I noticed that Dillpup has been registering latin idns since 2004, if you noticed his posts, you would have been rich by now.

I couldn't in anyway, i didn't even know domain forums existed or what the term "domainer" meant before Oct 2005. :o I wished i had surfed around more.
Touch, I have known IDN's since 2001!

In 1993 I created a WebDesign company the moment I saw the web page of a big institution on Mosaic. I thought: this was made by the engineers of that company, and that’s ok for ftp, gopher, telnet, news, but not for this. This is all about design! It’s the face of a company. I started blogging by same time, way before the term was coined. Even archive.org, which collected all my posts, came years after me. Netscape ruled. Internet Explorer was launched on 1996.

ICANN announced IDN’s on 2001 but only defined the rules for registars two years later, on 2003. I don’t know how people were able to register domains before 2003, but oh well, that’s another of those ICANN under the table mysteries.

Anyway on that time, the general feeling about IDN’s was something like: another nice idea. Dot and new paragraph. But I knew better. I knew it would be big business. ASCII domains were already being sold for millions and this was definitively a new start.

However, I also knew the power of the ASCII lobby. I thought: they will never let this go, because it would devaluate their ASCII portfolios big time. I read everything I could get about it, and the idea I got was that neither ICANN nor Microsoft were in the mood to bring it up quickly. There are many ICANN great ideas that never leave the blue prints (global drops auction, anyone?) and Microsoft nearly released browser, IE6, didn’t support IDN’s!

So I made up my mind: I’ll jump on it the day dominant Microsoft IE announces support for it. I just have to wait a year or so… or so I thought. Giving the IE past release history till that time (almost a new browser every year) I could never imagine it would take more than 5 years for IE7!

When I heard rumors of IE7 and IDN support and jumped in. As you all know that day came only later last year. And, in the end, that's what started this rush and IDNForums, IMHO.