IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2010, 09:03 AM

Sunny is an unknown quantity at this pointSunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Japanese keyboard input methods.. I think we can settle it now.

Even though for years japanese speaking members of this forum were stating that hiragana letters(as opposed to latin letters) on japanese keyboards are NOT used for text input, still some erh.. RubberDuck erh.. members were not believing us(more info here).

Now I have the ultimate proof.

The hiragana input method is so obsolete now, that recently Sony started to offer a choice of laptop keyboards that have no hiragana symbols at all.

This is how it looks with hiragana, and without hiragana:

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Special/...eyboard_p.html

And this is how it is presented to me when I try to buy laptop from sony website:

http://www1.jp.sonystyle.com/Product...AGJ_VPCZ12AFJ/
Old 7th September 2010, 02:26 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Japanese keyboard input methods.. I think we can settle it now.

thanks for posting.

I have one question, and i think this wasn't specifically addressed in the post you are linking to;
for direct navigation, a japanese user would
1) type in romaji in the search bar
2) auto convert to hiragana
3) manually convert to either kanji or katakana
4) append a tld, (.jp, .com whatever) (this, presumably, may require further conversion)
5) press enter

is this correct ?
Old 7th September 2010, 04:30 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I think you are wrong. The fact that someone is given a choice does not make the other choice obsolete. I know Japanese who use both methods. I asked one man about it a few years ago, he said, yes, he can type in romaji, but with hiragana, it is much faster.

There are many input methods for any variety of languages, and which one is used makes no difference as far as the end result is concerned.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 7th September 2010 at 04:30 PM..
Old 7th September 2010, 04:42 PM

Sunny is an unknown quantity at this pointSunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
thanks for posting.

I have one question, and i think this wasn't specifically addressed in the post you are linking to;
for direct navigation, a japanese user would
1) type in romaji in the search bar
2) auto convert to hiragana
3) manually convert to either kanji or katakana
4) append a tld, (.jp, .com whatever) (this, presumably, may require further conversion)
5) press enter

is this correct ?
Yes.
Old 7th September 2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
I think you are wrong. The fact that someone is given a choice does not make the other choice obsolete. I know Japanese who use both methods. I asked one man about it a few years ago, he said, yes, he can type in romaji, but with hiragana, it is much faster.

There are many input methods for any variety of languages, and which one is used makes no difference as far as the end result is concerned.

By default on all PCs it is latin typing.

Here are some reasons why Hiragana typing is bad:

- 4 rows of keys, and also each row is a couple of keys longer( numbers and keys like ]:;,./\ are replaced with hiragana), so need to stretch fingers. Blind typing becomes way harder.

- As a consequence it becomes harder to type numbers and ;:]/\ characters. You can't type them with just one keystroke anymore.

- It is easier to remember just one latin typing key placement and use it for both english and japanese, than to remember 2 key placements.
Old 7th September 2010, 06:21 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

The method you are most used to is the best method for you. Ever try to learn to type on a DVORAK keyboard layout? No? But you can read articles all day about why DVORAK is better. The "best" doesn't always win.